Home

Play Action and Special Teams Still Suck

This is a discussion on Play Action and Special Teams Still Suck within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #33
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Play Action and Special Teams Still Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmitchell22
when is patch 4 due out?
Theres been no talk for a patch 4, probably wont be a patch 4.
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriluk
Agreed. PA does not work.

Some 'work' sub par about half the time. Some I get sacked 100% of the time before getting into passing stance. Even after it is "set up". Even after running it 30 times in a row in practice mode against multiple defenses.

Blitzes stop every PA every time. That is the very thing it is supposed to beat.

The only time they "work" is when the defense play soft zones w/ little pass rush.

Not sure what PA others are using (settings, sliders, playbooks). But I have given up on it. I play vs user offline dynasty and my opponent has given up as well.
I totally agree with this post. Set up plays aside, animations take too long. More times than not I get sacked before I can even push a button. Even crazier, if I audible tight ends/backs to stay and block, the linebackers responsible for covering them blitz and sack me before I can throw the ball. I've even experimented with pushing my pass block sliders to 100, and the CPU's pass rush to zero, to little or no effect.

PA passing is ABSOLUTELY fundamental to football, especially the college game. It is a strategy employed often by teams with weak pass protection to buy them some time. In NCAA '11 you can't even run PA consistently with a great offensive line. All PA should freeze most the linebackers/safety for a moment at least.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #35
Rookie

bosstalk's Arena

OVR: 4

play action works well? Please tell me what level you're playing on?

on Heisman with adjusted sliders, the DE basically crashes in instantly.

and in shotgun the false steps that EA makes the QB take, is outrageous.

If anyone can, please post some vids of PA passing game actually working, where you dont have to turbo sprint your QB out of harms way
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

My playaction works all right. It doesn't work nearly as good as it used to, and it doesn't work quite as good as in real life, but I can make it work sometimes.

As far as special teams, my biggest gripe absolutely is punt returns. Or perhaps the discrepancy between my punt coverage and my punt returns.

When I punt the ball, I've got about a 35-45% chance of getting a gunner down to the deep man and get around the blocker to either force a fair catch or lay down a big unblocked hit. This happens even when I move the punt arrow up as much as I can (to take off some distance and add some hang time).

When I am back to receive the punt, I've got about a 5-15% chance of getting past the opponents gunners. My 3-4 blockers do nothing and let their gunners go right by and hit me.

The result? When punting, I aim toward the sideline, the goal being to get the ball to hit the ground just barely out of bounds in order to maximize my punt distance and not allow the opponent to return the ball. When receiving punts, I tend to call fair catch every time these days. It's the only balanced way to play, otherwise my opponent gets all sorts of punt return opportunities that I simply don't get.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Play Action works fine. I play Heisman with sliders in favor of the AI....Here is an example of a PA against OSU, once I had established the run, this play out of the strong I was "set up"

EA Sports: NCAA Football 11 Video

They do need to fix special teams. Specifically make the AI better at KO returns and make the AI stop trying to make 60+ yard FG's. Only in game ending scenarios should they be trying those.
Play Action doesn't work very well online as far as my experience goes. In the video it was only a 4 man rush with no pressure coming from the a blitz. And you still only got the ball off barely before getting hit. Online your much more likely to see pressure coming off the edge, and if so you'll most likely have no time to even look down field. That being said, play action is not broken, it just doesn't work as well as it could. I find myself usually using play action running 1 and 2 receiver only routs with everyone else back blocking, which works a little better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »