Home

Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

i use miami and the shotgun runs work fine for me IF i set them up i uses a fairly balanced offense but if i find im getting too pass heavy ill run a draw and they usually go for 5-8 yards even against the 7 in the box. i may have to motion the te but it works i found if im not passing well the draw doesnt work so well.

the option run seems ok from the gun as well
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4

Put a WR in motion to help with blocking.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Make sure to always look at the play art to see the blocking assignments. Off-tackle and sweep runs out of the shotgun used to never work for me; then I realized by looking at the play art that in most of the formations my tight end was blocking the same player as my tackle on the weak side and the strong side linebacker was left without an assignment. So now when I see that I just motion my tight end to the other side where he's actually doing something relevant, and those plays are now some of my favorite and most successful calls.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've had success with sweeps, counters, and draws out of the shotgun. I play with Houston using their default team playbook and use running plays as a change of pace on 1st down or on 3rd and short. Yardage gained can range from 0 to 2 yards at worst or 8 to 10 yards at best. My running is very limited though as I'm an air raid offense. A good rushing game for me is between 50 to 75 yards to go along with 300 to 400 yards passing on 7 minute quarters with All-American difficulty (default sliders).

I never bother with read plays anymore since most of the time it is just a quick way to lose yards.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Shotgun running works well with Playmakers varsity sliders. I haven't tried that particular style with any other sliders. But using Louisville's and then Mississippi State's playbooks I was able to average around 150 ypg rushing.

The zone blocking just isn't really zone blocking, so it's never going to work perfectly. This will get you about as close as possible, though. But you're never going to have any luck with the default settings and sliders. The blocking is just all messed messed up for any option offense, spread or otherwise. So much for 120 ways to win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 9

Once I set my mind to it, I have started running all over people with the spread. I use either Louisville's book or usually Mississippi State's book. My last few online games, I've run for 150+. In an 8 minute game against a friend, I ran the spread and had like 150 rushing and 250 passing.

Here is the key to the shotgun rushing attack, Shotgun Spread Flex - HB Dive. And the key is to NEVER EVER EVER call it in the huddle. Line up in Shotgun Spread Flex, I usually call either a Load Option or Deep Attack in it and then see what the defense is. If they are spread out and only have 5 or 6 guys in the box, I check to the quick run audible which is the HB Dive. It rarely if ever goes for less than 5 yards, usually 8-10.

You just can't force the run, know what your audibles and quick audibles are, and be ready to check to a quick pass if someone is loading up the box. Against the CPU, it is a bit more difficult, you may have to settle for a bit less per carry. There are some games against the CPU where I'll run 30 times for 100 yards and 3 TD and just deal with it.

The zone read works ok, but you better be careful with it and have a high accel QB. The Motion Triple Option works better.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

The running works fine for me.

Like others have said. Motion the TW or WR for more blocking.
Some plays are off tackle and are not sweeps
Just because you are in shotgun does not mean all runs will be 20 yards. Expect the same 3-5 yards
Once you get the ball many times you can turn it up inside for 5+ yards rather than –2 running outside.

And yes. Audible in and out of running plays. The CPU like we all know will guess your play. Pick a run with 10 WRs and the CPU will come out in run D. It has been this way forever. So yes, the audible is your friend.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

The biggest problem with it for me has been the "Ms. Cleo" play calling by the CPU. They always seem to know whether you will run or pass initially which pretty much puts a damper on an otherwise excellent game. This has been a problem forever, even back to PS1 days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »