Home

Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Is it impossible to run out of Shotgun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
The biggest problem with it for me has been the "Ms. Cleo" play calling by the CPU. They always seem to know whether you will run or pass initially which pretty much puts a damper on an otherwise excellent game. This has been a problem forever, even back to PS1 days.
Yeah, that is especially tough on spread offenses, so you have to be a bit more prepared with audibles vs. the CPU. I find myself running more option vs. the CPU than I do vs. humans. As well as more wildcat, Mississippi State's book has three formations where you can put a HB or WR at QB, so you can make it work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

Just ran Miss State spread option online with Michigan and Denard Robinson, wow that was fun. I didn't get many yards because I was playing a guy that was Wisconsin and just loading the box with 7 or 8 people but I won 21-14 anyway.

239 total yards, 27 rushes for 148 yards and 3 TD. 9 of 11 passing for 91. I was going more for ball control because this guy was kind of cheesy with sprint outs and I couldn't win a shootout with him, so I just played conservative clock.

Robinson (QB) ran 12 times for 39, Shaw (HB) ran 8 for 59 and a TD, Smith (HB) ran 4 for 15, Roundtree (WR) ran 1 for 35 and a TD, Stonum (WR) ran 1 for 2 and a TD (Wildcat) and Moundros (FB) ran 1 for -2.

The spread rushing game is there if you can commit to it. Most of Robinson's runs were on read options, although two were load option out of Spread Flex and one was a QB Wrap that went for 3 yards. Most of his 39 yards came on two runs out of read option, both for 10. If you are committed to the spread run, people will come up with 7 or 8 in the box and you can throw pretty easy.

Again though, running it vs. the CPU is a whole different beast.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

I do fine outta of shotgun. if they come with the box stacked than you just audible into a pass play. just choose ur spots.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm having some trouble running out of the shotgun too. I love watching Oregon play and I would like to have my offense resemble theirs. It's hard to recreate that in the game though. Of course I keep forcing it and it's hurting some of my enjoyment of the game. If I just went Air Raid or Pro Style I'd probably be having a lot more fun, but I really want to get the spread option to work.

I'm going to try to start recruiting all run blocking lineman and try to find a super athlete to play qb and see if that can help. But like others are saying, it's tough when the cpu stacks the box when it knows you are running. Sure I can audible into a pass, but it's no fun going 14/19 for 400 yards passing. The cpu never adjusts. It just keeps stacking up against the run. I play on default all american. I'm thinking of switching to varsity.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejake
I'm having some trouble running out of the shotgun too. I love watching Oregon play and I would like to have my offense resemble theirs. It's hard to recreate that in the game though. Of course I keep forcing it and it's hurting some of my enjoyment of the game. If I just went Air Raid or Pro Style I'd probably be having a lot more fun, but I really want to get the spread option to work.

I'm going to try to start recruiting all run blocking lineman and try to find a super athlete to play qb and see if that can help. But like others are saying, it's tough when the cpu stacks the box when it knows you are running. Sure I can audible into a pass, but it's no fun going 14/19 for 400 yards passing. The cpu never adjusts. It just keeps stacking up against the run. I play on default all american. I'm thinking of switching to varsity.
The Ducks is one of the teams I play a dynasty with and the bolded part is something that bothered me at first. When I would call a run and the D would come out in run mode and I would audible and a guy would be wide open. What I did to counter that was come out in pass plays and then audible to running plays.

I never really had trouble running with them though. But I did have to stop just straight audible all the time when they came out in run D so my QB wouldn't put up all time numbers.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

I run the spread offense exclusively and I am committed to running the ball. I'll list my last 4 games statistically against 4 guys that are ranked in the top 200(2 in the top 100) All had pretty impressive resumes. I play with Mich and Fla.

Me - Fla 35 Quell - GA 31
Rush yrds 259 / 37
Pass yrds 227 / 360

Me - Fla 35 Dude - Aub 17
Rush yrds 71 / 23
Pass yrds 217 / 244

Me - Mich 42 dirty.com Cinci 21
Rush yrds 102 / 46 * 60 on one play
Pass yrds 336 / 309

Me - Fla 28 VGT Boise - 7 Quit in the 3rd
Rush yrds 76 / 75 * 73 on one play
Pass yrds 198 / 127

After 4 games + 8 in the turnover battle.

Its important to stay committed to the run. I've noticed in the games I've lost, I got away from the run early and only ended up with about 10-15 attempts. When I'm winning, I usually run it about 25-30 times a game. Just because you don't rip off big chumks of yards everytime, doesnt mean you arent being effective. I usaully set up runs that look like one thing and then its a completely diff play. Stay committed to running...the defense will loosen up. If they keep loading the box, air it out and make em pay!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1

Learn to run the Read Option, and it's pretty effective once you figure it out. I think there is a tutorial.

Basically, if the weakside DE follows the RB, keep the ball. If the weakside DE stays home, hand the ball off. Works like a charm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #32
MVP

thejake's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209vaughn
Learn to run the Read Option, and it's pretty effective once you figure it out. I think there is a tutorial.

Basically, if the weakside DE follows the RB, keep the ball. If the weakside DE stays home, hand the ball off. Works like a charm.
I read the DE just fine. The problem is the rest of the defense is not fooled. At least on all american. The linebackers just blow up no matter who gets the ball. And if the cpu is blitzing, you have no chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »