Home

Has anyone seen the AI return a kick-off past the 30?

This is a discussion on Has anyone seen the AI return a kick-off past the 30? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Has anyone seen the AI return a kick-off past the 30?

I play on Heisman, and I never see them do anything on kick-off returns. 90% of the time they return it exactly to the 22 yard line like clockwork.

I returned 2 Kick-offs for td's in a game last night and felt like I was cheesing because I was doing something the AI is incapable of.

The lack of the return game and the 60 yard fg attempts are the last main things that need to be ironed out in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Has anyone seen the AI return a kick-off past the 30?

I can't remember the last time the cpu brought it out to my 30 yard line. The return game is hard in NCAA 11 but it's absolutely horrible for the cpu. I'm never scared when I kick off.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I can't remember the last time the cpu brought it out to my 30 yard line. The return game is hard in NCAA 11 but it's absolutely horrible for the cpu. I'm never scared when I kick off.
The sad thing is, The first day I had the game, before any patches or looney tuners, the AI returned a kick for a TD. Of course, back then the AI was overthrowing passes on default sliders too.

I think this may have to be a houserule to supersim kickoff returns, possibly punt returns.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

I hate house rules like that.

I wonder if sliders could alleviate this. A lot of times we adjust the kickoff slider based on how far the kick goes rather than the result of the play. The average team in college football (60th) averaged 62 yards on kickoffs which means they should travel to the 8 yard line. Only 10% of kicks in 2009 were touchbacks. Furthermore the average return was 22 yards so that means the average starting position in college football (all 120 FBS teams) should be around the 30 yard line. That is probably skewed due to long returns - I'd like to see the median results myself. 52 teams scored at least one TD on returns last year with the top team returning 5 TDs on kickoffs!

In the past the ability to have a great return was often tied to kick distance. The longer the kick the harder the return. Shorter kicks had a greater chance to be returned for a TD, at least in my experience with the game.

I wonder if a reduced the kickoff length slider would not only have better field position for the cpu but also give them the ability to break a long one once in awhile? I may test this out this weekend. I'm pretty busy the next few days with things.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

I may try that, I have it at 35 but usually kick it down to the 5, maybey I'll drop it to 20 and see what happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

I have user kickoff length at 25 and it's still a big problem there. Might as well test it at 0 and see if they can do anything. I just hope the kicks don't all land on the 15 yard line.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Pro

blLLD0's Arena

OVR: 10

I had tOSU return a kick for a TD against me (Purdue). I had just cut the lead to 14-7 late in the 2nd, and then boom Chekwa takes it to the house.

http://www.easports.com/dynasty#modu...&sid=0&wknum=7
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by blLLD0
I had tOSU return a kick for a TD against me (Purdue). I had just cut the lead to 14-7 late in the 2nd, and then boom Chekwa takes it to the house.

http://www.easports.com/dynasty#modu...&sid=0&wknum=7
What sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »