Home

To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt.

This is a discussion on To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4
To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt.

So I've noticed that good recruits far too easily progress to 99 by the time he is a senior after a redshirt his freshman year. I've begun not redshirting players so my teams ratings don't skew unrealistically. I see far too many high 90s players to begin with, and it makes a lot more mismatches that take away competition.

I've made it a rule where to be redshirted, there has to be at least two players in that position with a better overall.
It's different for WRs and CBs though, they have to be outside the top 5 in the position to be considered for a RS.

Of course, I've been playing as Penn State for many seasons, so the off-season progression is pretty drastic. I know lesser teams should reshirt to build up ability, but for the powerhouse prestige teams, play the people who are good enough to play, because you know you can easily replace them in recruiting anyway.

Last edited by swhyte21; 09-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt.

I want to know if redshirting a player has an affect on his off season progression. Like if he sits on the bench with no redshirt will he increase more??
Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree, i also dont redshirt because ive noticed way too many 90+ overall players as it is.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the veteran
I want to know if redshirting a player has an affect on his off season progression. Like if he sits on the bench with no redshirt will he increase more??
As far as I have seen, he progresses as normal. Same chance of gaining a lot or alittle as any other player. Just not redshirting him, he doesn't gain an extra year of progressing.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I don't really see any problems in progression, per se, but I do have my system for determining who I'm going to redshirt.

I don't redshirt anyone who is likely to see significant playing time. I want to field the best team I can each season. That said, I take backups on a case by case basis.

Example: Last season I was fortunate enough to pull in the top two tackles in the class. They came in at an 81 and an 80, respectively. This made them the best tackles on my roster during training, but progression made them both #2 at their position.

Normally, I would not redshirt them as they're valuable backups, but being that they're such highly rated freshmen, I chose to redshirt them in order to have a good year's progression under their belt before they take over the starting bookends for a solid 4 years. It's just cool to know that once my current tackles graduate, I barely have to think about the position for 4 years.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Tim Tebow has landed!

T3B0W's Arena

OVR: 22

I tend to keep it simple: I redshirt Freshman only and those unlikely to see any significant playing time.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B0W
I tend to keep it simple: I redshirt Freshman only and those unlikely to see any significant playing time.
THIS......
Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I tend to RS Freshmans unless they rank 1st or 2nd string. The only exception is if I have say a HB true Jr or Sr starter at 94 and another HB progresses up to 92-94 but is a Jr-Sr(RS). Then I will rs the true Jr-Sr since I know if I play them both one or both will take off at season end.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »