Home

Coach Mode Strategies

This is a discussion on Coach Mode Strategies within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Coach Mode Strategies

I started this thread to open up a discussion amongst coach mode players on their game strategies and to see what each thinks helps to create a winning formula for your team. Its obvious when u have a 5 or 6 star team that sometimes their talent alone is enough to get you wins, but what i want to talk about is when you are playin with 1 and 2 star teams and strategy and playcalling determine more of the game than the players. I am interested in seein what other players think and debating gameplans with other coaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lsu.jpg (1.6 KB, 53 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Coach Mode Strategies

My strategy has always been pretty simple. I focus on running the ball, use a lot of motion to figure out what the defense is doing, and try to load up with blockers at the point of attack. I set audibles to my one or two main running formations so I can adjust if the defense is taking away what I want to do.

This year will be more of a challenge because recruiting is harder. I used teambuilder to create a two star program. Recruiting priorities are running backs, 0-line, blocking fullback and tight end, passing qb. On defense I like a couple big bad defensive tackles and then upgrade where I am the weakest.

I really have to diligently search the recruiting board for guys 3 star and lower who fit what I want to do. It is more of a challenge with this version because recruiting is harder but that is exactly what I was hoping they would do with the game.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
My strategy has always been pretty simple. I focus on running the ball, use a lot of motion to figure out what the defense is doing, and try to load up with blockers at the point of attack. I set audibles to my one or two main running formations so I can adjust if the defense is taking away what I want to do.

This year will be more of a challenge because recruiting is harder. I used teambuilder to create a two star program. Recruiting priorities are running backs, 0-line, blocking fullback and tight end, passing qb. On defense I like a couple big bad defensive tackles and then upgrade where I am the weakest.

I really have to diligently search the recruiting board for guys 3 star and lower who fit what I want to do. It is more of a challenge with this version because recruiting is harder but that is exactly what I was hoping they would do with the game.

With the weaker teams i like the spread more than i do the pro or I formation just B/C you tend to need better lineman to run the ball effectively. The spread tends to cover up the weakness of your OL and helps the RB since the defense is probably spread out and has an extra DB on the field iunstead of a LB. Also if your qb has average to above avg awr he can be very good in conference play. As far as recruiting i enjoy how its done this yr also. No more pulling in the number one class yr end and yr out just b/c u feel like it. You actually have to work the recruits and i think that builds a level of attachment to your players and adds to the overall enjoyment of the game.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoardKing
With the weaker teams i like the spread more than i do the pro or I formation just B/C you tend to need better lineman to run the ball effectively. The spread tends to cover up the weakness of your OL and helps the RB since the defense is probably spread out and has an extra DB on the field iunstead of a LB. Also if your qb has average to above avg awr he can be very good in conference play. As far as recruiting i enjoy how its done this yr also. No more pulling in the number one class yr end and yr out just b/c u feel like it. You actually have to work the recruits and i think that builds a level of attachment to your players and adds to the overall enjoyment of the game.
That's a popular way to do it, teams like Missouri hardly ever line up under center. I like to hammer at the defense. You have to recruit for you exact needs. I like the offset I, tight end in motion, pulling guard, run outside. I saw Barry Switzer in the booth during the Air Force vs Oklahoma game and he talked about his offense at Oklahoma and the concept of "seal inside, run outside.

I have a 3 star recruit guard coming in who is A- acceleration, C speed, C awareness and C run blocking. He should be great in this offense. I don't need him to pancake anybody, just pull and get out in front of the play to seal off the hole. You need to be deep at running back to run this because they get banged up and you need backs who can find the hole, break a tackle and not fumble. You also need a good blocking tight end and fullback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »