Home

NCAA Football 2k12?

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 2k12? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NCAA Football 2k12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Choops was the best selling NCAA game and 2k stopped making them because the NCAA was asking for a lot of money every year. Thats also why EA is not making a NCAABB game this year.

And when there used to be a NCAAFB 2k game, it was not made by the same people who made NFL 2k4, 2k5, APF 28, etc.
You are missing the point. College Hoops 2K8 was a game with major critical acclaim and viewed by many as one of the best basketball games of all time and yet it still only moved less than 400,000 copies (by the end of 08 even though the total numbers now wouldn't be much higher). Those are poor sales numbers. Especially when games like NCAA Football, NBA 2K, and The Show all move over a million. That doesn't even include Madden, FIFA, and Tiger Woods who moves millions of copies.

When you combine those poor sales numbers with the fact that they have to pay a liscense agreement for the NCAA and the cost of the CBS packing in the game the game wasn't turning a profit worthy of still making games. Same thing happened to March Madness.

It doesn't matter which studio would make the game a 2K college football would not turn enough of a profit to make the game worth it. That is the reason why they stopped making them in the first place.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 10

You guys EA fan boys. I'm not even going to argue with you guys on the fact that 2k is heads & above better than EA in all sport games. Hate to bring up different sports but he 2k basketball series is destroying NBA Live/Elite series & everyone seems to agree NFL 2k5 is the best football game of all time. 2k just simply cares more about their production & gameplay and one day its going to bite EA in the butt.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC2USC
You guys EA fan boys. I'm not even going to argue with you guys on the fact that 2k is heads & above better than EA in all sport games. Hate to bring up different sports but he 2k basketball series is destroying NBA Live/Elite series & everyone seems to agree NFL 2k5 is the best football game of all time. 2k just simply cares more about their production & gameplay and one day its going to bite EA in the butt.
Oh boy... I see where this is going...
Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC2USC
you don't play video game hockey do you?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
Rookie

capn_razzamataz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
Hoops 2K8 was a game with major critical acclaim and viewed by many as one of the best basketball games of all time and yet it still only moved less than 400,000 copies (by the end of 08 even though the total numbers now wouldn't be much higher).
Where did you get those numbers? According to VGChartz, College Hoops 2k8 moved 462,604 copies in its first 20 weeks alone. Also, at the time of release 2k8 wasn't really considered "special" by most review outlets. Actually, Madden 08 for 360/PS3 had a higher Metacritic score. Kind of similar to NFL 2k5, people seemed to appreciate it a lot more once it was "gone".

Quote:
Those are poor sales numbers. Especially when games like NCAA Football, NBA 2K, and The Show all move over a million. That doesn't even include Madden, FIFA, and Tiger Woods who moves millions of copies.
Just FYI, Tiger Woods 11 sold a little over half-a-million sold across all platforms so far and numbers are dropping FAST. Seems unlikely to reach a million.

Quote:
It doesn't matter which studio would make the game a 2K college football would not turn enough of a profit to make the game worth it.
Maybe in your opinion. I think if 2k used their resources wisely, assigned a good team (NFL2k5/APF2k8?) to it, made a quality product, and marketed as well as they did for NBA 2k, they could definitely compete with EA's NCAA Football offering.

Regardless, if EA doesn't renew the exclusive license, I doubt 2k would put any serious effort into developing it until they purchase a license. Assuming this is the case, they'd only have 6 months until the normal NCAA football game release "window" so I doubt we'd see their game until 2012 (so NCAA College Football 2k13).

Last edited by capn_razzamataz; 09-27-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

College basketball games aren't coming out anymore because they don't sell as well as football games, but the NCAA still asks for a similar license fee.

College football games on the other hand are very popular. I think 2k could make enough profit to keep the series going and potentially get the chance to make an NFL game too. One, they would have a ton of money from GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

2k also has a good fan base that would follow them once they came out with a game. The gameplay would also be a lot better like 2k5 and 2k8 were instead of NCAAFB 2k3 because it would actually be 2k Sports working on the game and not another company.

As popular as college football is, how rich Take Tow is, and how respected 2k sports is, I think a 2k college game could do well this time around.

― Plato
Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #23
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm for any type of competition. When there is one dominant force in a market, they have no one to go up against. That said I'm loving NCAA 11 this year aside from the release bugs.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #24
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm not sure that 2k will make a college football game, but you can't use college basketball games as an argument for there not being enough money to be made with a college football game. Basketball has never, and likely will never, sell as well as football, bottom line.

If there is enough money potential in yearly hockey, soccer, MLB, and NBA games for 2k, there is certainly enough money potential in a college football game. There is already enough money potential in football games in general for there to have been multiple generic football games over the years (Blitz, APF, Backbreaker), let alone those with a legitimate license.

I think the bigger problems are the price of the NCAA license (especially since 2k would probably have to go the $30 or $40 route like they did with 2k5 to get get notoriety in an EA-dominated space) and the complexity of creating a full-featured college game with no guarantees that EA won't swoop in and buy up the license again in the future. Now if Take Two could scrape together a bunch of GTA and Red Dead money and buy the NCAA license exclusively, that would be something... (but you can put money on that never happening).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »