Home

NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki

This is a discussion on NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #41
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I disagree that it wouldn't take much to improve it. For one, I seriously doubt it's been touched for a couple years. It's outdated. They'd probably be better off using the backbreaker technology for a lot of it. But even if they had been updating, the gameplay upkeep costs of 2k would be higher than it would with EA because EA can split the cost between two games, whilst 2k cannot.
They would have to tailor it to the College game which means spending the majority of their gameplay efforts on implementing the various college offenses (Spread, Pistol, Option, etc...). Other aspects like OL/DL interaction, double-hits, real gangtackling, defensive playbooks are still much further along than NCAA 11 & Madden 11. I feel confident that they could get that down but I just don't think they could get the stadiums/art up to date quick enough. I don't know how long it takes to do 1 stadium but it seems like it would take a decent amount of man hours.

I can't comment on the $ side of things because I don't know what it takes to put together a design team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
If not, however, than I think some of you guys are really underestimating 2K's ability to put out a quality college football game in a hurry. This is if they put the same resources that they do their NBA and MLB games, than I can see 2K making a monster college football game.
Exactly. I obviously don't know what 2k are thinking on the NFL situation, but I can't see them being too confident in getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I feel confident that they could get that down but I just don't think they could get the stadiums/art up to date quick enough. I don't know how long it takes to do 1 stadium but it seems like it would take a decent amount of man hours.
It depends on what tools they have. If they used a fairly easy to use stadium design tool for 2k8 then they could probably do it fairly quickly.

On the subject of updating the engine or not, bear in mind that they were developing 2k9 for a fair while before it was cancelled so there's a fair chance work was done.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

As far as playbooks, 2k8 has this over Madden or EA in my eyes. I just created a playbook for my team in 2k8 and saw every formation EA has and then some. Outside the wishbone and flexbone, 2k has the playbooks already finished really. As for gameplay, I think the engine wouldn't need much work. 2k8 still has more realistic gameplay than any game released ever.

The main things 2k would be lacking in at the start are stadiums, uniforms, and other authentic details. If they spent as much time on NCAAFB 2k12 as they do on the NBA series they could get most the uniforms, a good amount of stadiums, and entrances in the first year. Then they would just have to add stadiums every year after that like EA has been and still has to do.

Seeing what 2k has done with their recent games compared to EA, I honestly think 2k could make a game that could match EAs quality in the first year.

― Plato
Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #44
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I don't think this console generation is only 1-2 years from ending. It's probably 4-5 years away, for the PS3 anyway.
I didn't say 1-2 years from now, I said 1-2 years from the first year another developer could conceivably release a college football game which would be 2012-13.

Last edited by prowler; 10-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #45
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
As far as playbooks, 2k8 has this over Madden or EA in my eyes. I just created a playbook for my team in 2k8 and saw every formation EA has and then some. Outside the wishbone and flexbone, 2k has the playbooks already finished really. As for gameplay, I think the engine wouldn't need much work. 2k8 still has more realistic gameplay than any game released ever.

The main things 2k would be lacking in at the start are stadiums, uniforms, and other authentic details. If they spent as much time on NCAAFB 2k12 as they do on the NBA series they could get most the uniforms, a good amount of stadiums, and entrances in the first year. Then they would just have to add stadiums every year after that like EA has been and still has to do.

Seeing what 2k has done with their recent games compared to EA, I honestly think 2k could make a game that could match EAs quality in the first year.
Outside of the NBA series, what has 2k done well in the last couple years sports game-wise? MLB 2k10 came a long way, but it still isn't very good, and 2k8 and 2k9 were both terrible.

I think the gameplay could be on par or better by year 2. The Line Interaction in 2k8 is better than EA's game for sure, the gang tackling is there too. But 2k's passing game has always been a weakness, and that's half of football. But they could get it there. But as far as unis and stadiums and whatnot, it's completely different to do that for NBA than it is to do it for College Football. We're talking 4 times the uniforms, 80 players per team instead of 15. There's more than 120 football stadiums, as opposed to 29 basketball arenas. There's no way they get the majority of that in in one year. I think you're not looking at them being done there until year 3, maybe even 4. And as far as uniform quality, it's great in the NBA series, but absolutely terrible in the baseball games. Terrible.

I think they could have a good game year 1. I think it would start to catch up pretty quick. But I don't think the sales would be there, which is why I don't think they'll do it. I disagree with the person who said hold off if you think you can get the NFL. I think if you can get the NFL down the road, it makes more sense to do this now, try to squeeze into the market a little bit, and set yourself up for success if you ever get the NFL license back. A 2k NFL game would make money, for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

MLB 2k10 was a good game to me. The best baseball game I have ever played, but I have only played one Show. MLB 2k10 was definitely better than any baseball game EA released in my opinion. I bring that up because you could say the last EA baseball game was 5 years ago, but thats almost the same for 2k football and I still find 3k football better than any EA football game released.

As for the passing game being a weakness. Thats not true at all. The passing game in EA's game has been a weakness. 2k nailed pass trajectories. 2k also got it right with bullet, lobs, and even touch passes. EA just has unrealistic bullets and punt-like lobs. The way the ball bounces from a tip, deflection, etc. in 2k is 10 times better than anything EA has ever done.

I know I probably sound like a huge 2k fanboy, but I'm a realistic gameplay fanboy and when it comes down to it, 2k had and still has more realistic gameplay in their football games.

As for uniform quality, I thought the baseball games were pretty good. They looked nice and realistic. As much focus as 2k has always had in the small details like uniforms quality and variety, I think they would do a good job with them. I also think they could get at least 15 stadiums in year one if not twice that. It depends how many people they have in that department. If they spend most their focus in getting the stadiums in, they could get a lot more than we think in just one year.

― Plato
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #47
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
MLB 2k10 was a good game to me. The best baseball game I have ever played, but I have only played one Show. MLB 2k10 was definitely better than any baseball game EA released in my opinion. I bring that up because you could say the last EA baseball game was 5 years ago, but thats almost the same for 2k football and I still find 3k football better than any EA football game released.

As for the passing game being a weakness. Thats not true at all. The passing game in EA's game has been a weakness. 2k nailed pass trajectories. 2k also got it right with bullet, lobs, and even touch passes. EA just has unrealistic bullets and punt-like lobs. The way the ball bounces from a tip, deflection, etc. in 2k is 10 times better than anything EA has ever done.

I know I probably sound like a huge 2k fanboy, but I'm a realistic gameplay fanboy and when it comes down to it, 2k had and still has more realistic gameplay in their football games.

As for uniform quality, I thought the baseball games were pretty good. They looked nice and realistic. As much focus as 2k has always had in the small details like uniforms quality and variety, I think they would do a good job with them. I also think they could get at least 15 stadiums in year one if not twice that. It depends how many people they have in that department. If they spend most their focus in getting the stadiums in, they could get a lot more than we think in just one year.
2k10's unis were awful. Look no further than the Atlanta Braves. Their alternate road jersey (like many teams that wear navy blue) is completely the wrong color. Their hats never matched the right uniform, and on the road alternate hat, the copy and pasted a square of a completely different shade of blue. It was sloppy, lazy, and looked terrible.

As far as passing games, 2k's felt like the QB was running in mud. It's not nearly responsive enough, WR and DB play is not good, and playing as a QB had almost an Auto-feel to it. NFL 2k5 had fantastic uniforms, there's no denying that, but recent games have, imo, fallen off in that category, while EA has done a pretty good job, for the most part.

As far as 2k10 being the best baseball game ever, I was extremely disappointed in it. Is it better than MVP 2005? Probably. MVP has become overrated over the years, much like 2k5, because of an exalted status it earned from getting shut down. But 2k10 was riddled with bugs. The fielding was atrocious, and franchise mode, as has been a trend in this serious, was a huge failure. Being a guy that plays mostly franchise mode, I've always been disappointed in 2k's efforts. 2k7 froze after the last day of the season unless there was a one game playoff. 2k8 froze for me all the time. 2k9 froze all the time before a patch, and after the patch still froze for some people. I could never get past May. And then, this year, franchise doesn't freeze, but progression is so broken that pitchers become terrible in year 3 and beyond. Not to mention the fact that there are no injuries, and errors are EXTREMELY rare. Pitching was too easy and the contact/power swing mechanic made it so that there are WAY too many singles from the CPU, and it's too easy to hit HR's using the Power Swing. It's got potential, but it is far from a good game.

Outside of the NBA series, 2k hasn't produced great sports titles in a long time. So I think it's a bit of a fantasy to think that they'll automatically produce a title year 1 or 2 that is every bit as good as the title EA has been working on for 5 years.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 10

But you never know. Maybe 2k has something hidden up their sleeve, something that other gaming companies don't know about.... I mean, you can't say that they're college football games suck by basing said sentence off of a game made 2003-04. I mean, technology has changed A LOT since then, and who knows, they may make one of the best games ever.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »