Home

NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki

This is a discussion on NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #57
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: NCAA's exclusivity ends in a year or two according to wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I find 2k10 one of the best baseball games because it delivered some pretty good gameplay along with a good franchise. I didn't get past one season, so all the problems down the road did not affect me and I overlooked the errors and injuries issues.

Now, I know because I can get past the issues does not mean everyone else can. I can hardly look past all the issues in EA's football games, but a lot of others can easily.

I just like the way 2k presents their sports games better. I have always preferred their style of sports games better. I like 2k football better than Madden or NCAA, 2k baseball over MVP, 2k basketball over Live and NCAA, and 2k hockey over EA's NHL.

Now, that doesn't mean they are better games. They just are the better games for my style of play and fit what I want from a sports game. I'm sure there are many out there just like me, but with EA's games.
I agree with you on 2k's presentation of games. thats one thing ea just needs to flat out copy. 2k kills everyone in presentation
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #58
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
'll be shocked if EA renews the exclusivity. EA is not doing well financially. So unless 2k steps in and tries to get the exclusive license (at which point EA will be forced to lock it up), they'll be content to be non-exclusive, because they can't really afford to do this right now if they don't have to.
NCAA 12 sold really well so EA has to ask themselves, will they make more money competing with 2K? I think the Answer is no, why risk a sure thing? If 2k were to create a great football game that would not help EA so financially it makes more sense for EA to keep the license locked up.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #59
t3g
Rookie

t3g's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakHusker
This. And 2k's college series wasn't really that good, they even stopped making it before the exclusivity deal, if I remember correctly.

I've said this numerous times and I'll say it again. People should not get their hopes up for a new NCAA football game in the near future, it just isn't happening especially with EA's established control of the market.

Also, don't trust everything you see on wiki.
2K hasn't made a football game this generation besides that crappy one with the retired players. They would have to build a new engine from scratch and honestly it wouldn't be worth the budget considering the amount of money and time for the engine to generate maybe 1/3 of the sales of the EA game.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #60
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Like I said it will take really good sales to get the license renewed. I cant really see them renewing it. I am not sure 2k will try to quickly jump and make a college game. NCAA games in whole are not very marketable because NCAA rules(penalties, no names, likeness).
But if you look at the last two NCAA games. They made huge leaps. NCAA 12 will be a great game. Unlike Madden, who has a exclusive contract for a next couple years, NCAA cant wait and slowly add features or slack off. They have to do good. NCAA Basketball, CHoops, and NCAA Baseball did not sell well.
If it is the last year, they will go out with a bang. There is good chance that there will not be any college games 2012, not very marketable.
I wouldnt say 12 will be a great game just yet. Remember, Madden 10 was supposedly a huge improvement over 09, but fell flat on its face the year after. They also suffered high profit losses.

So we have an interesting dilemma. If it will take bad sales to get the exclusivity abolished like you say, then we would have to hope NCAA 12 is bad for that to happen. Since as Madden 11 shows, if the game is bad, sales are bad. On contrast, if NCAA 12 is great, then the exclusivity will likely be renewed, meaning there wont be any 2K or anybody.Would we be willing to endure one bad year in exchange for the chance of another developer entering the market?

I would.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #61
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
I wouldnt say 12 will be a great game just yet. Remember, Madden 10 was supposedly a huge improvement over 09, but fell flat on its face the year after. They also suffered high profit losses.

So we have an interesting dilemma. If it will take bad sales to get the exclusivity abolished like you say, then we would have to hope NCAA 12 is bad for that to happen. Since as Madden 11 shows, if the game is bad, sales are bad. On contrast, if NCAA 12 is great, then the exclusivity will likely be renewed, meaning there wont be any 2K or anybody.Would we be willing to endure one bad year in exchange for the chance of another developer entering the market?

I would.
I would love for competition. Look at games like Fifa, MMa, Fight Night, UFC, NBA 2k, MLB the show. Competition makes games great. You dont slack off with competition. Ex. You and someone is trying to get a promotion. You will do whatever it takes. If it just you, there is not a major need to improve.
Without it, it seems a developer can say "We have to fix "X", but it can wait" With it "It is a main priority".
IMO NCAA 12 is a few pieces away from a elite game. But, I do not think there will be a leap in sales. NCAA games are not marketable(no likenesses). ex. NCAA basketball, baseball, CHoopz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
2k has nothing hidden up their sleeve - maybe they start working on it soon in anticipation that the financially struggling EA doesn't renew this license. But they're still starting from scratch. Technology has changed, and they haven't made a college football game in 8 years, a licensed football game in 6, or a football game at all in 3. It's going to take some catching up.
True, but they are familiar with the new technology that we've stated about. I mean, it seems like they're other sports games have been good with player movement, broadcast, gameplay, game modes.. I would buy the game if they made it. I'm not a 2K fanboy (or an EA fan boy for that matter), I'm not a fan boy at all... I'm just saying, I think they'd make a good game.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
2K hasn't made a football game this generation besides that crappy one with the retired players. They would have to build a new engine from scratch and honestly it wouldn't be worth the budget considering the amount of money and time for the engine to generate maybe 1/3 of the sales of the EA game.
The engine wasn't the problem. The problem was lack of a license and bad marketing.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
Rookie

AuburnChick's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21

I would.
Awesome, you want the Dev team to fail. GREAT idea......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »