Home

Off tackle run plays

This is a discussion on Off tackle run plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6
Off tackle run plays

Im trying to figure out whether certain run plays are cheese vs the CPU or if its the custom sliders I am using. I run the Maryland offense, pro formation and average 10 - 12 yards per carry running counters, power O, and HB blast out of the strong I normal. Not nearly as much luck with inside run plays like ISO's and Dives, and a HB toss only works on the goal line.

Anyone have any insight here?

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Off tackle run plays

I use Michigan State's playbook that features plenty of run plays, including the ones you mentioned and I don't get near that much on average. So assuming you're playing decent teams maybe your sliders need some work, since I would not consider those plays cheese, but obviously 10-12 yards a carry isn't realistic.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

Man I hate to tell you but the running game period is borderline cheese along the lines of the option in '10. Last year, a Chris Johnson/A Pete hybrid could barely get to the second level. Now running is a toddlers game...anyone with opposable thumbs can run. Outside runs/counters are like kryptonite to the 3-4 of all defenses. I've switched to 46 and 44 but can only contain it...at least if I want to maintain the integrity of my pass D. The computer blows it up occasionally but overall still too effective.

Its even worse in user games. At least the CPU defense will swim, shed blocks and blitz to get in the backfield. In many user games I've played, people just run outside on any variety of plays w/ every block setting up and holding or the corners thoroughly sealed off for 5+ yard gains on practically every play.

Whats worse is run commit has been overplayed to the point where most of the D can potentially get bottled up or committing the wrong side leaves nothing but open field. It's gotten so bad in some cases that guys end games with < 7 pass attempts and are confident enough to try and convert on every 4th and less than 10 with a run.

I even have a friend in my OD who has been notorious for his heavy passing game (think nano Andy Reid) in NCAA and Madden for the last decade, until this year in which he only passes when he has to. He says he's been "working on his game". That alone tells me that the run game is too easy...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

There's only one run play I've run across that I might consider "cheese." It's in several playbooks but the one I'm thinking of in particular is in Oklahoma State's playbook, Ace Formation (the regular 2 TE, 2 WR formation) > HB Counter.

Both guards pull in front of the RB and I typically get good yardage with it. I've had times where no made little to no yards with the play, but I get 10+ yard runs at a rate that's probably a little too high.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

I also like to run the ball but it isn't always cheese. What level do you play on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

how many games have you played where you are gaining yards like this?

I rarely get gains like that on a consistent basis so you might want to look at your sliders and modify.

Also, its not necessarily the off tackle plays that are cheese but that your tackles are better then your guards or your center...being better blockers and opening up holes.

But yeah, check the CPUs rush defense and jack it up a few notches..if its 100...then ur only bet is to go up a difficulty level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »