Home

Good run stopping plays with flat coverage?

This is a discussion on Good run stopping plays with flat coverage? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Good run stopping plays with flat coverage?

I've recently played some guys who ran the ball a lot. No flexbone, just under center Strong I power runs. I would eventually start bringing the linebacker blitzes at which point my opponents would whip out an outside pitch and pick up 20+. So in fear of the big play I has to call some cover 2 or 3 with flat coverage to contain the pitch, but that took defenders out of the box which allowed them to get very consistent 6-7 yard gains. Any type of man blitz was too susceptible to the pitch. So I realized that I dont know any good run blitzes that can cover all areas of the field. Basically I need to know some effective plays that blitz linebackers while having coverage in the flats to contain the pitch, preferrably in 4-3 playbook.

Any ideas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Good run stopping plays with flat coverage?

You might try to occassionally mix in some of the contain plays. You know the plays where both DEs or OLBs have the grey arrows pointing toward the sideline, meanwhile one or two players are in a spy.

I think there's one play where DTs rush, DEs go to spy, and OLBs go to contain, while MLB sits in a zone. You should still be able to decently stop runs up the middle, meanwhile you've got LBs on a contain that usually get past the OTs to hit the RB in the backfield on pitches.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Rookie

Tha_Jackal's Arena

OVR: 1

The thing is there is no one defense. You have to mix it up and not let him know if your playing outside run or inside. Also what defense are you running? Does he have a tendancy i.e. does he always run strong side?

You might even spreading your DL somtimes but blitz up a little up the middle. And/or Pinch/shift your DL inside and have your LB's on Spread or shifted to Strong side/weak side depending on any pattern you can figure out.

There is no One defense keep him guessing the way he is keeping you guessing.

I had a guy who ran it well but once I saw he ran it strong side 90% of the time it threw the breaks on him pretty quick.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Hmm... Im not sure if the 4-3 Playbook still contains the QB Contain play, I think it was in the over sets. it had the DEs going into hook zones after they engaged the Lineman with the OLBs in Contain. My "Bend but dont break defense" is the 4-4 - 2 deep verses run heavy teams that show a TE and FB and trying to get more people to the point of attack than the Offense can block.

Last edited by CObra-la; 10-13-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Corner back blitz?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

@Jackal

Yes its primarily to the strong side. I use a 4-3. I will try those spreading adjustments. I like the idea of the LB spread.

@Pogo

Thats one thing I haven't thought about. I'll try hot routing to some contains.

@Cobra

I have used some 4-4 before, and it does a good job of stopping inside runs but it has been dreadful against the outside run in my experience.

@Packersfan

Yeah but if he breaks the tackle or the CB gets blocked (which happens more often than you think) he's gone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »