Home

Sportsmanship

This is a discussion on Sportsmanship within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3
Sportsmanship

I am Western Kentucky getting dominated by North Texas 41-14. In the middle of the 4th Quarter North Texas gets the ball. With their starters still on the field they begin to 5 wide receiver my defense to death yet again even on 3rd and inches from my 20. Considering how angry the game gets when I try to run up the score, all the silly -100 messages, do any of you guys think it is somewhat hypocritical for the computer to be pulling the same stunts? EA made a big deal about promoting sportsmanship but I have yet to see the computer regularly substitute and change play-calling attitudes when it finds itself in the same situation.
By the way I understand it is my job to stop the opposing offense when I play defense, but in a collegiate atmostphere of student athletes is pouring salt in the wounds really necessary. As Pete Carrol said after the 2009 Stanford-USC game, "Whats your deal?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Sportsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversityofArizona
I am Western Kentucky getting dominated by North Texas 41-14. In the middle of the 4th Quarter North Texas gets the ball. With their starters still on the field they begin to 5 wide receiver my defense to death yet again even on 3rd and inches from my 20. Considering how angry the game gets when I try to run up the score, all the silly -100 messages, do any of you guys think it is somewhat hypocritical for the computer to be pulling the same stunts? EA made a big deal about promoting sportsmanship but I have yet to see the computer regularly substitute and change play-calling attitudes when it finds itself in the same situation.
By the way I understand it is my job to stop the opposing offense when I play defense, but in a collegiate atmostphere of student athletes is pouring salt in the wounds really necessary. As Pete Carrol said after the 2009 Stanford-USC game, "Whats your deal?"
The CPU in NCAA 2011 is really an evil entity that lives in every disk, that can seemingly bypass any rules or limitations real players have

In all seriousness, I've seen it happen at times too, they're simply not governed by the same rules. Since Season Showdown only effects an online leader board for your team, is pretty much cosmetic anyway, the CPU can care less.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8

I definitely understand your frustration. I'll get these "Warning, Running it up" messages in the THIRD QUARTER when I'm up by 21 or more points. Anything can happen in college football and you're not going to quit playing in the third quarter.

Then when I played Ohio State with EMU, they put up 83 points on me, and never once stopped running it up.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

For one, I certainly think the game should recognize the different between a pass play that is truly running it up, and a pass play that's just getting the first down to keep your offense on the field. It just absolutely kills me that on 3rd and long, if you choose quick slants, complete a 10 yard pass to your TE and get tackled just across the line of scrimmage, you can lose sportsmanship points.

Would the game rather I just punt it on first down?

Besides, with the heavy prevalence of nearly pure passing teams these days, some teams simply aren't designed to run the ball, particularly late in the game. Some teams use the short passing game as their run game.

I realize what the OP is talking about is slightly different from this. It just bothers me that the game treats all pass plays equally when it comes to sportsmanship.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

I stopped caring about those little Season Showdown things once I figured out that it's only for an online leader-board. Now, I don't run up scores, but I also don't stop passing just because I'm up 21 in the 3rd. If I have a 21 pt lead in the 3rd qtr, and I feel like I have the game under control, I'll sub in my 2nd string offense. I only sub my defense when I start feeling bad for the other team...but that's because I don't have a lot of depth at defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Pro

bruinkid626's Arena

OVR: 10

-10,000 sportsmanship and counting
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Rookie

yeah I am seriously considering just unplugging my internet before playing because the sportsmanship is just getting annoying. Also, heard some people are having freezing issues with it...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9

I hate that crap... You can run it and get stuffed 2 plays for +10 points and then you pass to get the first down and you will sometimes get -100 points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »