Home

run n shoot vs air raid offense?

This is a discussion on run n shoot vs air raid offense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9
Icon5 run n shoot vs air raid offense?

Which is a more effective offense on ncaa 11? (which would you install if you had the right recuits in your dynasty mode?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: run n shoot vs air raid offense?

I've found what this game defines as the Run and Shoot (a few plays with tons of option routes plus the normal collection of spread pass plays) more effective for passing than the Air Raid. I don't have the discipline or patience to go through the series of reads at the heart of the Air Raid's core pass concepts. On the true Run and Shoot plays, I can lock onto one WR and throw wherever the coverage dictates. It's easier for me to overload zones and go deep in the Run and Shoot than in the Air Raid. If your goal is to score as many points as humanly possible, the Run and Shoot works, but the Run and Shoot's weakness both in game and in real life is running down the clock. When you're up 4 with 3 minutes to go and have to run the football and chew clock, the Run and Shoot can be exposed. All three Run and Shoot playbooks have a very small selection of heavy sets. The heaviest set outside of the goal line is a 3 WR 1 TE wing trips shotgun formation.

I find it a bit easier to run a balanced offense out of the Air Raid. A number of Air Raid play books have pretty sizable selection of ace and I formation plays. In my teambuilder dynasty right now, my great QB just graduated and I'm starting a true freshman at QB. He's a decent prospect, but he lacks the arm to force the ball downfield, so I've switched to the Air Raid. With Arizona's playbook, I can get a good mix of run and pass and have managed to remain effective on offense despite weaknesses on the O-line and at QB.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I love the air raid, even though I'm awful at it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Air Raid in my experience. Mainly, the plays are more simple yet just as effective. By more simple I mean there are several plays where there are 2 routes you can watch develop at the same time. There are also several drag/mesh plays which are unstoppable against man coverage, and almost every air raid pass has the RB going straight to the flats which gives you an automatic dumpoff and usually a one on one matchup.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Air Raid is certainly more balanced than Run & Shoot. Started out my teambuilder dynasty with a Air Raid offense, but a combination of issues (top RB going down for the year, being unable to pass effectively with a left armed QB) meant when I put in my Redshirted Freshman slightly dual threat QB the Run & Shoot worked better for me (last 4 games he's put up 400+ yards, including 670 in the season ender at Fresno St, and currently has 360 yard at HT in the Orange Bowl). It helps that he has a bit of agility (it's not Vick speed, more like McNair) and can get out the pocket and scramble for 10/15 yards to pick up a 1st. So as I use it the Run & Shoot is effective, but it's helped with the slight speed bump at QB (the Leftie QB can make the passes, but is much slower and gets caught before the 1st quite often).
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »