Home

Breaking Tackles

This is a discussion on Breaking Tackles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Breaking Tackles

I'm quite good with the spin in open space.

As for the stiff arm, I tend to start pushing this when a guy has wrapped me up kind of low and while I don't fully break the tackle, it's usually worth an extra yard or two.

I don't juke that much. I'm not sure why.

The trucking actually works pretty decent. It's important that you not just push up, but you also need to then slide the stick around the top to the side away from where you're being tackled.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I rarely attempt to break a tackle. I usually just hold down RB and hit up on the RS and try to finish the run moving forward for the extra 2 or 3 yards.

Only time I try to break a tackle is in a situation where I am close to the sideline. In that case, I'd throw a stiff arm if it's my running back or receiver. If it is a QB, I just go out of bounds.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
If it is a QB, I just go out of bounds.
same. Unless its 3rd down I will take my QB out of bounds everytime. From my experience, if I dont, more then 50% of the time, the play will end in a fumble or injury to my QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #12
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Well if you're in the process of being tackled then dont use anything. The success rate is way too low once you're in a tackle animation and you're just asking for a fumble. Probably best to keep it to spin moves before you're being tackled. It has the highest success rate and doesnt slow you down as much as other moves.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I'm quite good with the spin in open space.

As for the stiff arm, I tend to start pushing this when a guy has wrapped me up kind of low and while I don't fully break the tackle, it's usually worth an extra yard or two.

I don't juke that much. I'm not sure why.

The trucking actually works pretty decent. It's important that you not just push up, but you also need to then slide the stick around the top to the side away from where you're being tackled.
juking can work really well if it's timed properly. You have to start the move a lot earlier than you did in previous years in order for it to be effective. I like to use them when you have a blocker out in front of you. Stay close behind and wait for him to engage the defender, then juke around the block. I don't mess around with the double jukes too much, although it looks pretty cool when you pull one off and just fake the defender out of his jock. I prefer to just press the right stick lightly in one direction. The animation is more of a foot plant and cut, than it is a full juke, but you don't lose as much speed.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

More depends on your players rating than anything.

Fighting for yards increases chance of fumble (I turn "Big Run" to Conservative to counter-balance this). If you are being tackled, spin moves can break you free, but chance of fumbles goes WAY up (especially on PR). Using the R stick really helps me. As another user pointed out, you have to use it directionally for the most success. I've had a Barry Sanders-esque play where my guy was stood up by a DL, and then gang tackled... kept pressing up on L stick and up + left and right on R stick... eventually broke free for a 70+ yard TD run (probably 5 defenders in the gang tackle total).

For the most part, you're fighting for yards, not breaking tackles.

To avoid tackles, spin works tremendously if timed right. Juking works better against Human controlled defenders, IMO.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

My stick skills are seriously lacking so I either juke with speed backs (which won't result in a broken tackle) or truck with power backs. Trucking is by far my favorite though. I recruit more power backs than speed backs as I like them as my every down backs and once their TRK gets to 90+ it's like the second coming of John Clay. I power through a bunch of tackles for broken tackles, move the pile forward, almost always fall forwards, trigger the falling forward animation for 5+ extra yards, and carry DBs for 5+ yards on my guys' backs.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 4

Daniel Thomas is the answer. I have no problems breaking tackles with any back really. It's mostly instinct.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »