Home

on the fly substitutions

This is a discussion on on the fly substitutions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3
on the fly substitutions

would it be practical or realistic to ask for the play-calling screens on both offense and defense to be changed a little for the purposes of on the fly substitutions.

For example, on offense while you are picking a play the numbers of the players and their current fatigue level would be shown in the little green squares depicting the formation. Once a play is picked you could press a button to role with that play or a second button to manage subs for say a screen pass that you want to run. Once in the sub screen you can scroll around the formation to a player you want to sub like that slow powerful and tired first string running back for a quick agile 3rd string running back who is fresh. You could for example, do this by hitting "A" or "X" and and then using the stick to scroll through the numbers of players to sub in which would include everyone set for that position within the depth chart.

i know you can already do this by hitting start etc. i was just wondering if this would be faster or more practical. The auto subs and formation subs features while nice are not as responsive to situational context and on the fly adjustments as i personally would like. any opinions both positive and critical would be nice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: on the fly substitutions

I dont know about Madden 2011 because I dont have it but that is in Madden 2010. It actually works quite well especially if you want to do short yardage subs and so forth.

I wish that was in this game because it avoids pushing start all the time and that way if I want to run the option, I can sub in my faster QB.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

1. Dynasty menu formation subs handle 90% of this for me. I'm run heavy, and I make use of 3 different HBs plus a FB in the RB spot in various formations (plus my heavily modified version of the Wildcat). The various I-Forms that I use are all close enough that by putting a different RB in each formation, I handle most of what I need done.

2. In-game formation subs using the right stick allows me to a lot of other subbing as well, from a screen which shows me the current fatigue levels of all my players. This includes putting a faster QB in (Back-up QB), or a back-up RB, or moving my WRs in, or just getting a bigger package in (Jumbo), etc.

3. Between options 1 and 2, any other subbing I want/need to do can be handled using the start button. I do this less than once per game.

4. There are a lot of gameplay bugs and issues that I'd rather them spend time fixing instead of spending time installing a "new" feature that has marginal usefulness.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

i was just wondering because the 50 formation sub limit seems to limit some people.

i had no idea that it was in madden

of course other things are more important. this seems like a small feature that wouldn't take too much work though since they seem to redo the menu organization every year anyways. personally, i would like defense to get some serious work. specifically more basic coverages that don't have blitzes and getting the position names right including flipping the formation so that the sam lb is always on the strong side instead of just on the right side
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Rookie

I like this idea; though I do agree that they need to work out the bugs before they start implementing new features into the game.

I myself use a 3-QB system (Balanced, Speed Scrambler (Think Denard Robinson), and a Power Scrambler (Think Cam Newton)), or at least make my original TeamBuilder Roster that way, so this idea of being able to sub on the fly would be wonderful: subbing my power QB in at the QB Blast plays would be great, the same goes for subbing my speed guy on options.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »