Home

redshirt help

This is a discussion on redshirt help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: redshirt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
interesting turn of events.
i lost my starting halfback for the year in my opener.
can i redshirt him?
nope. Have to do redshirting before the beginning of the year. I believe 2005 you could apply for a medical RS, but that was the last and only year...
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 46

ok thanks guys.
odd feature to take out of the game.
but i did notice on last gen the feature set was insane compared to this gen, as far as sports games go..

Last edited by econoodle; 10-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Reshirt is the hardest part in all NCAA games because I might redshirt the wrong player.Any guides or tips on how to do reshirting properly?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastNeedhelp37
Reshirt is the hardest part in all NCAA games because I might redshirt the wrong player.Any guides or tips on how to do reshirting properly?
Basically as a general rule I dont redshirt starters or backups but anybody is fair game. Ur better to redshirt more people then you think cause you can always break their redshirt mid season...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti_2009
At least once each season, I've had redshirted a true senior. In almost every case, the senior is highly rated but is a backup and the third string player isnt that far behind. That way I dont lose that player and get one more year of eligiblity out of him and if my starter ever gets injured, I can always break the redshirt.

A good system to follow, might be to redshirt more because you can always break that redshirt during the season if you need to.
While I agree with redshirting more because you can always take the redshirt off, I have to make a comment on the above quoted part.

If you're operating your team properly, you might redshirt a few upper classmen in the first few seasons, however... you should try hitting as many frosh with redshirts as you can.

I don't always redshirt freshmen simply because I often times promise "No redshirt freshmen year" and then simply redshirt them as a sophomore. Then I get three seasons of play out of them, redshirt sophomore, redshirt junior, and redshirt senior. The only people who are even really playing as redshirt sophomores are receivers and defensive backs in sets which use a lot of those players, or they might be my third or fourth RB (which in my system, will get plenty of touches).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastNeedhelp37
Set your depth chart first.
Anyone who looks like they'll never see the field, redshirt them. If it doubt, redshirt them.

Just remember that if you want them to come in, you can manually take the redshirt off. If someone gets injured, you can put them in and remove the redshirt, HOWEVER also remember that if someone gets injured and you don't MANUALLY make the change to remove the redshirt, the computer will put a non-redshirted player in, which is usually a bad idea if you don't have enough depth there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon1 Re: redshirt help

ESPN Universtiy: "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions." OK, that's me this time, and probably many more.

Just bought first 360 ever, and playing NCAA for 1st time. On my third offline Dynasty Mode (Varsity, playing as Auburn) and won nat'l title last 'season.' Recruited the sh!t out of the in-season and post-season periods and ended up with #2 class (passed by Bucks on signing day).
Did this big chart on what I've got at ea. position (class, OVR) and figured I'd need to cut X number of guys to get to 70 plus planned on redshirting a number of guys from my huge recruiting class.
I must have missed something along the way b/c next thing I knew I'm in the 'enrolling' phase of preseason and when I look at roster I'm missing at least half-dozen of new guys, some I'd been planning on redshirting.

recruiting well so far this season, & graduating 12 seniors most of whom are playing, but fear I'm going to screw things up again with scholarship limits, cuts, and espcially labelling recruits for 'redshirt.'

any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, my Sr. RB last year ran for 1,900+, 25 TDs and averaged better than 150/gm. Heisman contender if not leader last few weeks of season, won three of the postseson awards incl'g RB award but got bypassed for Heisman by an Ohio St RB with 500 fewer yds and 8 fewer rushing TDs. How? Needless to say I tried very hard, successfully, to stick it to him in BCS championship game.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
ESPN Universtiy: "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions." OK, that's me this time, and probably many more.

Just bought first 360 ever, and playing NCAA for 1st time. On my third offline Dynasty Mode (Varsity, playing as Auburn) and won nat'l title last 'season.' Recruited the sh!t out of the in-season and post-season periods and ended up with #2 class (passed by Bucks on signing day).
Did this big chart on what I've got at ea. position (class, OVR) and figured I'd need to cut X number of guys to get to 70 plus planned on redshirting a number of guys from my huge recruiting class.
I must have missed something along the way b/c next thing I knew I'm in the 'enrolling' phase of preseason and when I look at roster I'm missing at least half-dozen of new guys, some I'd been planning on redshirting.

recruiting well so far this season, & graduating 12 seniors most of whom are playing, but fear I'm going to screw things up again with scholarship limits, cuts, and espcially labelling recruits for 'redshirt.'

any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, my Sr. RB last year ran for 1,900+, 25 TDs and averaged better than 150/gm. Heisman contender if not leader last few weeks of season, won three of the postseson awards incl'g RB award but got bypassed for Heisman by an Ohio St RB with 500 fewer yds and 8 fewer rushing TDs. How? Needless to say I tried very hard, successfully, to stick it to him in BCS championship game.
I'm confused as to where your missing players might have gone...I've never had this happen at all....so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As for your Heisman problem, it's a huge problem with the game. It seems to be unnecessarily hard to win the Heisman for the human despite massive stats.

As for your redshirting...you know, we could keep reposting the strategies we use for redshirting, or I have a better idea...

If you want to take the time to put your entire depth chart in a post, along with what kind of offense/defense you use, and any additional notes on what personal you use, I'd gladly take a look at it and let you know who I'd redshirt.

Something like...

Quarterback
John Doe, 89 ovr, senior
Jimmy Doe, 84 ovr, redshirt sophomore
Jack Doe, 83 ovr, junior
James Does, 79 ovr, freshman

Halfback
etc. etc. etc.

I know it's time consuming. I also know that basing redshirting purely on overalls is not the absolute best strategy if you take the time to look at the stats that player has that you actually use, but... at the very least, it gives you an idea.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks Pogo. I will grab my chart and type all in for you to look at. Appreciate the help.
Solved one of my own problems with the 'missing' players but still not sure where a few were hidden. Found them when I went in to Edit Roster when planning on charting pos. by pos., what sr's I would be losing (knew all of my starters but wanted to be sure of the back-ups) in prep for hopefully getting some RS help. So if they aren't on the Depth Chart, but aren't RS, where (or what) are they?
I'm simply a little lost in trying to find where to do things in the game, such as tagging a player for RS. Have a #2 QB (4star) that's a soph., like starter (5star), that promised no RS Fr. year. Should've RS 'this' year but now am thinking of tagging him for 3rd yr. Smart? If 3rd string is close in OVR? Also picked up a 4-star recruit in this year's class (wasn't looking but we were a top-3 for him and recruitment just went his way).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »