Home

An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

This is a discussion on An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: An Improvement I'd Like To See In '12: Running QBs

I believe having tendencies would solve some of it. The tendency to scramble, decision making, throw away or take a sack, and eye down receivers or look off safeties, taking the right hole.

I don't believe BCV(ball carrier vision) makes a big effect.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I believe having tendencies would solve some of it. The tendency to scramble, decision making, throw away or take a sack, and eye down receivers or look off safeties, taking the right hole.

I don't believe BCV(ball carrier vision) makes a big effect.
I always thought that was what the AWR rating was for. Allows for the QB to make reads, feel the pass rush, throw it away/run vs take a sack. The only way I see to fix this issue is better programming. Like the OP said about styles, if you have a "scrambling" QB then he should be using his feet as much if not more then his arm. They trust their feet more then their arms. These are the Robinson's, Newton's, Pat White's of the world. Then if you have a guy that is "balanced" then he should be a passer that will run if needed. These guys could run the read options. They can make plays with their feet but trust their arm a lot more. These are the Ponders, Aaron Murray's, and Lockers of the world. Then you have the "pro-style/pocket passers" who are pure passers. The will move around in the pocket but are not looking to run. These are the guys that beat you with their arms and their is no fear of them gashing your D with their legs. These are the Luck's, Barkley's, and Mallett's of the world.
If the NCAA team could code it where the AI knows the difference in these guys then the problem is fixed. I think this would also fix the triple option. I have used coaching sliders and still see triple option QB's throwing 20+ time a game even when they win by 2 touchdowns or more. Like someone said the running QB and the systems that they are in is what sets college football apart from the NFL.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Besides the Overall, I don't think AWR makes a big effect in the game.
I think they should hide unnecessary ratings for certain postions like Blocking for QBs and add more position ratings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

The scrambling QB's in this game are a joke, at least when the way the CPU uses them . I've NEVER been worried about a scrambling Quarterback actually scrambling. That's total crap, every once in a while you'll see a QB scramble, but nowhere near enough. As canes said, the QB behavior is completely wrong, every QB acts like a pocket-passer, they all have the same tendency to throw the ball no matter what, even if the D is closing in they will never try to escape the pressure and scramble.

While on the subject of terrible QB behavior, has anyone else noticed that the CPU QB almost never throws the ball away? I've seen it before but it always catches me by surprise because I'm so used to the CPU just forcing the pass instead.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Besides the Overall, I don't think AWR makes a big effect in the game.
I think they should hide unnecessary ratings for certain postions like Blocking for QBs and add more position ratings
Can't waite to finish my Alumni rosters to put this constant flawed logic to rest....

When i see OL and FB's with high awareness locating defenders downfield to make blocks I know it's tied into their high awareness because my lower rated players at those same positions don't react the same way.

When i see a Optin QB on my file read the defense and either turn up field with the ball or make the proper pitch I know his awareness his kicking into effect.

I have plenty of videos that prove people wrong about awareness but i done posting them to debate it anymore.....because next week another guy who totally ignored the videos will make another thread blindly saying that awareness doesn't matter.

It's like one guy posted that RB's don't use juke moves or see the field very well and I've posted videos of guys like Earl Campbell, Troy Stradford and Shaun Alexander making people miss in the open field

So i think a lot of it is tied into ratings.....but some people simply just don't know how to use the ratings so they assume the ratings don't work.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Can't waite to finish my Alumni rosters to put this constant flawed logic to rest....

When i see OL and FB's with high awareness locating defenders downfield to make blocks I know it's tied into their high awareness because my lower rated players at those same positions don't react the same way.

When i see a Optin QB on my file read the defense and either turn up field with the ball or make the proper pitch I know his awareness his kicking into effect.

I have plenty of videos that prove people wrong about awareness but i done posting them to debate it anymore.....because next week another guy who totally ignored the videos will make another thread blindly saying that awareness doesn't matter.

It's like one guy posted that RB's don't use juke moves or see the field very well and I've posted videos of guys like Earl Campbell, Troy Stradford and Shaun Alexander making people miss in the open field

So i think a lot of it is tied into ratings.....but some people simply just don't know how to use the ratings so they assume the ratings don't work.
Here's the thing, a lot of us only play Dynasty mode where you can't edit ratings once the Dynasty has started. So unless Tiburon changes their policy of not allowing ratings editing during an Active Dynasty we are dependent of them getting players to play correctly with the ratings they give them. We want the players that we recruit in years 1 through whatever to play as well as any players who we edit from the default roster. That is the crux of the issue.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Ratings are not the problem. There already are plenty of guys who fit the Option QB profile which are generated in each prospect class.

You could rate Newton a 99 in most running ratings and he still won't play like he does in real life if the CPU is controlling Auburn. That's because the game design, AI, and play calling all leave much to be desired.

Only user controlled QB's can perform similar to their real life counterparts.

Agree..from a user vs CPU perspective, its a combo of playcalling and AI logic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

So in order for the game to work properly we should have to go through and edit all the awareness ratings of the default roster and every incoming recruiting class? You're saying there's this magical way to fix the CPU's AI that EA has completely disregarded for no reason?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »