Home

Starting DE hurt which backup would you start?

This is a discussion on Starting DE hurt which backup would you start? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Starting DE hurt which backup would you start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vusa92troy
I would start Jackson. I like his awr, tckl, strnght, etc. over the other guy.
Awareness isn't that important for a DE. The tackle is only a 3 point difference.

Strength can be important, but the other DE, Morris, clearly isn't a strength end. He's a finesse end.

Morris has a huge advantage in some of the most important DE traits:
Acceleration (11 point edge)
Finesse move (15 point edge)
Block shedding (12 point edge)
Pursuit (12 point edge)

Everywhere Jackson has the edge, it's either one of the less important skills or it's a small edge.

And as for strength, I'm not even totally 100% sure how this skill category is used, but in the three categories that are easily argued the most important, block shedding, power moves, finesse moves, Morris has an advantage (and it's a huge advantage in two of the categories).
Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
Banned

cr00v's Arena

OVR: 4

Finesse Move - 55 vs 70

the answer is simple since power move is about the same
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

sounds like there is definitely a growing consensus! thanks guys for making this decision so much easier!

as a side note i really wish there was a small sub-forum or comprehensive guide to ratings and their importance for various positions because i never know what the difference between something like strength or a power move, and because of that i often run into situations where i am unsure who should be starting based on what i want to do or even who i should be recruiting in the first place.

Last edited by UniversityofArizona; 10-27-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversityofArizona
sounds like there is definitely a growing consensus! thanks guys for making this decision so much easier!

as a side note i really wish there was a small sub-forum or comprehensive guide to ratings and their importance for various positions because i never know what the difference between something like strength or a power move, and because of that i often run into situations where i am unsure who should be starting based on what i want to do or even who i should be recruiting in the first place.
Well, I check the forums fairly regularly and would always be willing to give any thread like this a look.

Heck, in another thread, I offered to assist someone in deciding on redshirts if he wanted to take the time to post his entire depth chart...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
Rookie

Well in an effort to not spam threads here is another conundrum for me at TE
(BTW i use secelite's sliders if it makes any difference)
I am using WKU with a pro-style play book so I need a balanced TE. My TE last year who is among the three listed below caught 26 passes and dropped 16 more for 6 touchdowns and 342 yards. I didn't notice how well he did blocking because my senior fullback covered up a lot of mistakes for people and I was busy watching the disasters that were my guards.

TE Jones ( first number )
TE Reed ( second number )
TE Franz ( third number )

Speed = 73 70 79
Acceleration = 78 62 79
Agility = 53 52 52
Awareness = 54 57 63
Catching = 77 74 75
Catch in Traffic = 56 58 53
Route Running = 72 70 65
Pass Block = 60 64 62
Run Block = 65 66 61
Release = 60 57 59
Strength = 63 63 53
Break Tackle = 63 69 62
Impact Blocking = 78 53 65
Run Block Strength = 65 74 62
Run Block Footwork = 56 56 52
Pass Block Strength = 70 69 71
Pass Block Footwork = 53 53 59
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversityofArizona
Well in an effort to not spam threads here is another conundrum for me at TE
(BTW i use secelite's sliders if it makes any difference)
I am using WKU with a pro-style play book so I need a balanced TE. My TE last year who is among the three listed below caught 26 passes and dropped 16 more for 6 touchdowns and 342 yards. I didn't notice how well he did blocking because my senior fullback covered up a lot of mistakes for people and I was busy watching the disasters that were my guards.

TE Jones ( first number )
TE Reed ( second number )
TE Franz ( third number )

Speed = 73 70 79
Acceleration = 78 62 79
Agility = 53 52 52
Awareness = 54 57 63
Catching = 77 74 75
Catch in Traffic = 56 58 53
Route Running = 72 70 65
Pass Block = 60 64 62
Run Block = 65 66 61
Release = 60 57 59
Strength = 63 63 53
Break Tackle = 63 69 62
Impact Blocking = 78 53 65
Run Block Strength = 65 74 62
Run Block Footwork = 56 56 52
Pass Block Strength = 70 69 71
Pass Block Footwork = 53 53 59
I'd go with Jones - decent pass-catcher, best impact blocker of the three.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
MVP

Ew... I don't particularly like any of those TEs.

But in this situation, everyone in every offense uses their TE differently, so the real question is, how exactly do you use your TE?

I play with various schools, but I always use a pro-style playbook (almost always Tulane), and I rely heavily on my TE as a pass-catcher. In fact, I rely so heavily on my TE as a pass-catcher that I spend a lot of my recruiting time looking through players for over-sized WR or big ATHs that have good catching traits.

I don't need my pass-catching TE to be overwhelmingly fast, or an exceptional route-runner, he just needs to be able to catch the ball. I bench TEs that drop the ball. I also don't look for my TE to necessarily break tackles or do much in the way of YAC. He's a big bruiser who can take a pounding and won't get hurt too often from repeatedly being pounded in the middle by linebackers and safeties.

Anyways, these three TEs, most of their stats are quite close all the way down the board. The biggest spread in rating I see is at impact blocking and run block strength.

Reed is a significantly better run-blocker, but the worst impact blocker. Meanwhile, Jones is by far the best impact blocker, but his RBS is significantly lower.

The question is, how much do you run and how much do you pass to your TE?

If you're like me, you run the ball 60-70% of the time. If that's the case, your best TE, honestly, is probably your best non-starting OL. I sub an offensive linemen into the TE spot in multiple sets in my pro-style offense (namely I-Form Y-Trips and Wildcat, both of which the TE is not an eligible receiver, but other formations too).

If you're pass heavy though, despite the pro-style offense, you might try playing your biggest WR in the position. In the run game, simply try focusing on running off the weakside.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Rookie

well i have a trio of pretty good wide receivers so my TE does not get thrown to very much unless they rock at getting open before the wide receivers do. i do run 25-40 times a game depending on how the game is going out of mostly formations with fullbacks and TE's so blocking is very important to me. i am similar in that drops bug me greatly so making the catch is very important if i do use them. in the previous year of my dynasty i threw the ball some 40 times total to the faster pass catching TE and he dropped a good number of those.
which one would you choose?

Last edited by UniversityofArizona; 10-28-2010 at 12:56 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »