Home

Beating Press Coverage!

This is a discussion on Beating Press Coverage! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Beating Press Coverage!

So, what do you do when you have a coach with a talented secondary pressing you in man-to-man coverage all game long? What works best? I'm facing another coach who is notorious for this type of play, so I'd love to get some advice for an offensive strategy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Banned

Buffalo Gold's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Beating Press Coverage!

That can be tough, as I have gone up against some players that press constantly with a 3-3-5 defense. The inside running lanes should be to your advantage if he only has 3 down line men. If he is in a traditional 4-3 with his back 7 pressing then you should have daylight on the outside tosses assuming your receivers pick up the block since their closer to the defender. Also, running skinny posts, and or stacking a side of the field should free up a receiver deep. Hope that helps, as it has worked for me.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

i would use as much motion as possible.
searching your roster for receivers with good release ratings may help too?
bring out the slot receivers since they line up a little further back generally and can be hard to press on slants.

i only play an offline dynasty but that has worked for me when the computer goes crazy blitz with press coverage on every third down mode.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

What playbook are you running?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Marshall X
What playbook are you running?
Yea it does depend a lot on what playbook you are using, but when I see press coverage with no zone behind it I check to a 9 route (Fly) and take a shot down field.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

If it's a generic cover 2 man and he has less than 4 men blitzing, you're going to have plenty of time for routes to develop. Corner routes from the slot are generally my favorite because they consistently beat man coverage and opponents typically do not manually cover the sidelines. Crossing routes like drags or slants generally have less effectiveness and most of the better players will user the middle of the field. Still, these routes are good 2nd and 3rd reads.

If he is pressing you and sending more than 3, now the field is going to open up a little more for you. First, if he sends 4 and still keeps two over the top, that means he will not be able to user the middle of the field (unless someone is uncovered) and slants and drags become big yardage plays. If he sends 4 and continues to user the middle of the field, that means either there will not be 2 over the top or someone is uncovered.

Many of the better players I have played tend to be overly-agressive defensively, keeping only one or even zero players deep and instead relying on the press of their corners and the pressure from their blitzes. If this is the case, the risk/reward is considerably higher for both the offense and the defense. I like to slow down the blitz a little with screen plays as well as runs away from it. If he is bringing outside pressure from backers or nickle players), that usually means there are open gaps up the middle. If it's inside pressure, there is a good chance you can beat them to the outside. The wildcard here is if the pressure is actually coming from their outside corners or from their safeties. If this is the case, you generally have a considerable mismatch with a WR against a backer and simple hot routed fly is going to give you 6.

Once you have slowed down the blitz a little and your opponent is still leaving room over the top, generally this is where it pays to have a big time receiever (or if not possible, just a big one). Taking a shot downfield on a fly against one on one coverage is a good chance for a big play as long as you have enough time to set your feet as the QB, let your WR get some seperation, and make a good throw. This is where user catching is a must. Unless your receiver just flat out beats the corner (which does happen often against press coverage) you're going to need to get position. With a big receiver, it's pretty difficult for a corner back to win this battle after being turned around, and after you catch it, he's the only around to try and tackle you.

Make them pay for being overly aggressive. Hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 2

Motion and playaction

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »