Home

What does awareness really do?

This is a discussion on What does awareness really do? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
What does awareness really do?

In my online dynasty I have 2 very good quarterbacks. by the way I am playing with Texas in year 2012. I have garrett gilbert who is a 95 overall with a 90 throw power and a 91 throw accuracy and a 89 awareness. I also have connor wood who is a 85 overall with a 98 throw power and a 90 throw accuracy but a 50 awareness. Im not asking which player I should start because I am starting Wood because he is also faster than gilbert and better than him in almost every category. But I am just wondering what I am losing going with a guy with a 50 awareness. I usually dont care about awareness but 50 seems unusually low. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by calbears7; 11-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What does awareness really do?

I always thought of it as decision making, and if you are playing the games instead of simming then you are doing the decision making for the QB, so awareness is meaningless in that situation
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I always thought of it as decision making, and if you are playing the games instead of simming then you are doing the decision making for the QB, so awareness is meaningless in that situation
Yeah. It only matters in simulation and CPU decision making for quarterbacks.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I'll take a wack at this...

One could assume that since YOU control the QB and who he throws to, that his AWR would be second to YOUR AWR...

To a degree, that is correct...if you find the open guy and get it to him, what difference does his AWR make?

Well, in my experience with console football games, the QB's AWR has has a correlation to the CPU / Opponent's D AWR...

How?

Well, lets say you ran tests with a QB of high AWR (let's say 85) and then ran the exact same plays against the exact same D with a low rated AWR QB (like your guy with a 50)...

You'd see that not only is there pretty much always a guy open with the high AWR QB, but there's often one reciever that's wide open and also an open check down, if you don't see the down field guy and are running out of time in the pocket...

With a low AWR QB, there is rarely anyone open and the guys that are covered are REALLY, REALLY covered...

Low AWR QB is also less likely to get as much time to set and throw and won't slide to avoid a sack unless you do it for him...

Same thing goes for high AWR recievers, the higher the AWR, the more likely they will find the holes and seams in coverage...

High AWR RB's will hit the right hole at the right time, follow blocks better, etc...esp. draws...

I ALWAYS use the highest AWR guys, unless there is a huge OVR difference in every position, esp. DBs...

But back to your point:

IMHO, your QBs AWR is tied to the D's collective AWR...

The smarter your QB, the more likely the D will be "fooled" by him...

The not so smart QBs make the D pretty psychic...

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer:

I did not test this with NCAA 11, but have done so with most EA football products on old and new gen consoles, so this is based on football gaming in general...I highly doubt this title is any different...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 11-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
This. I've always figured awareness for QBs/HBs are totally useless when you're controlling them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
This. I've always figured awareness for QBs/HBs are totally useless when you're controlling them.
For a RB, I'd say the vison rating is equally useless
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I've always thought that for user-controlled quarterbacks, AWR in combination with year (frosh, soph, etc.) helped determine how "rattled" a quarterback could get during road games.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I've always thought that for user-controlled quarterbacks, AWR in combination with year (frosh, soph, etc.) helped determine how "rattled" a quarterback could get during road games.
This is also true...obviously in the NCAA series where "HFA" is a noticable gameplay addition to either enable or not...

Put a high AWR QB in a tough road game and the play art will shake far less often than it will for a low AWR QB in the exact same situation...

AWR usually has a correlation with how many years played ergo, the difference seen with Freshman and Sophmores as opposed to Juniors / Seniors, etc...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »