Home

Position Changes

This is a discussion on Position Changes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Position Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
So what's closer to reality in college football, Patrick Peterson or subpar DB's?
Thats not what Im saying im saying when Im playing with LSU and Patrick peterson drops 5 picks in one game something is wrong.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears7
Thats not what Im saying im saying when Im playing with LSU and Patrick peterson drops 5 picks in one game something is wrong.
Have you tried to user-pick the ball? I rarely miss easy interceptions like that even with average DBs.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Rookie

shadowman's Arena

OVR: 3

I think that EA uses the dropped pick animation a lot of time when they really should have the DB's knocking the ball down. If the DB's caught everything there, would be way too many picks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

On the surface it SEEMS like the DBs drop too many picks, but you also have to realize there are WAY more passes thrown right to DBs that you ever see in a real game. I think they compensated for that with all the drops, otherwise you might see 10 picks a game. But switching to the defender and going for the pick manually will get you the INT more often than letting the computer do it.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

getting back on topic... lol...

I loved how position changes worked in the last gen PS2 games. Athletes were good or decent for at least 2 positions, and players could change and develop into great players. A few personal examples...

1) Recruited a 5-star athlete that was 6'2, 255. Player was rated an 82 at both safety spots, an 80 at all LB spots, an 84 at DE, a 76 at HB and a 74 at TE. But I made him into a FB and you know why? HE WAS A 94 OVERALL AS A TRUE FRESHMAN. Most of the athletes in the last gen were real athletes and were flexible.

2) Recruited a 4-star RB. Unfortunately he was the 3rd RB of that year's class and was 2-4 OVR points behind the others. He was fast and had good catching ability, so I switched him to WR his freshman year and let him redshirt. Even though he began as a 62 OVR, he jumped +12 overall the next year. He eventually developed well and became my #1 WR his senior year, totaling 1200 receiving yards and 12 TDs including 2 TD catches in my greatest comeback game ever. Players that switched to a new position got a HUGE boost in offseason training so they could "catch up" to natural players at that position.

3) Recruited 5 WRs one season. Redshirted them all and developed them at WR for 3 seasons. The 4th/5th WRs were behind in OVR and were not going to play their junior/senior years, and I desperately needed secondary help. I switched one to CB and another to SS. The players had a smaller dropoff in OVR and then gained 10+ points in the offseason and entered the new season as starters. They shined as defensive studs. As players get older, the chances of them developing at a new position without a big OVR dropoff is better.

Those are just 3 examples of how position changes worked better on last-gen. They definately need to bring that back.

OS Thread Link - Website Link
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Rookie

part of what was happening with the dramatic drop-off of overall rating and the huge gain after the spring game was a bug. It involved random loss of speed, yet as soon as you exited and re-entered, the speed would increase. It would also go right back to where it was originally when you did the spring game. While it wouldn't show an improvement in speed, it did count towards the overall improvement, often giving guys a HUGE improvement. I did this trick with MLBs a lot, moving them all over the field (because they were gods at all other positions).
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'd like to see more realistic position changes available:

You see QBs switch to RB, WR, TE, LB, S all the time.

They just need to give a lot more recruits better secondary skills
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Rookie

In the "I don't get this" category...
Last season had a So. starting FS (79 OVR, & user-controlled usually), along with an 85 Fr. SS. Recruiting class brought in another SS rated mid-80s [we were Top School-listed when setting recruiting board, couldn't pass him up], but also known (via PocketScout when I'd recruited him previous year) was starting SS was also same OVR as FS.
Got to POS change and my returning FS was also rated as 83 OLB. What luck, I thought. Flip returning SS to FS, returning FS to OLB, and install Fr. SS.
2nd game of year 'new' SS goes down (now listed as QSTB for wk 3) and some backup enters game. I'm thinking, wait a minute, I've got myself a backup LB that should still be close to 79 as a FS (aware that AWR and therefore OVR might suffer a bit with the POS change). I insert him, in game, into the depth chart and what's he rated? 73.
I can understand a little drop b/c of change of POS, but when returning back to 'old' POS it shouldn't be THAT much of a loss.

Posted in another thread my disappointment to find (as 1st time XBox and NCAA owner) a complete lack of possible offense-defense POS changes. With enough of you more-in-the-know guys here, I hope someone can convice dev's to add this aspect into (or back into, it sounds like) NCAA '12.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »