Home

So, what exactly is the Pro Offense?

This is a discussion on So, what exactly is the Pro Offense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
So, what exactly is the Pro Offense?

This sounds like a dumb question, but i've always wondered. I dont know how to define the pro style offense. The spread offense takes snaps from the shotgun formation, the wishbone takes snaps from the wishbone formation, the pistol takes snaps from the pistol formation. But the pro style takes snaps from everywhere. Please, someone tell me, what exactly IS the pro style offense?
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: So, what exactly is the Pro Offense?

My take on what is a pro style is where the QB is predominantly under center, but not running an option attack (Wishbone, stuff like that). Such as Wisconsin. If the base formation is the I, I always call it a pro style. Ace? Still is. If it's a 50/50 split between under center and shotgun, I'd still put it as a pro style, as that's close to the average in the NFL last I saw, so Va Tech still falls in the pro style.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

It helps to think in terms of concepts, rather than formations. The spread has morphed into many different incarnations in the modern game. Also many teams that call themselves pro or spread use a combination of concepts.

Spread - Use the whole field, and allow your best athletes to make plays. QB, RB, WR are the key athletes. TE and FB are less used. Think bubble screens, reverses, options. Athletic QBs, speedy RBs and WRs.

Pro - Traditional dropback QB, but can operate from gun too. Exploit the QBs throwing talent, and position players skill (and athletism too, but less so). Use the TE/HB and FB more often. Route running, catching skill is more important than raw speed and athletism. Timing routes, short drops, think West Coast offense concepts. Pro offense can be built for power running or ball control (West Coast) type offense, or a combination.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccowboys
This sounds like a dumb question, but i've always wondered. I dont know how to define the pro style offense. The spread offense takes snaps from the shotgun formation, the wishbone takes snaps from the wishbone formation, the pistol takes snaps from the pistol formation. But the pro style takes snaps from everywhere. Please, someone tell me, what exactly IS the pro style offense?
It's what the Stache ran at Pitt!

Basically, a pro offense uses plays and formations similar to what NFL teams use.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Rookie

wesman94's Arena

OVR: 2

Pro Offense is what they run in the NFL. Have 2 solid backs to rotate between, and balance between the Shotgun and UC. Styles like West Coast are a kind of Pro offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

USC is a great example of a pro offense, at least they were with Carroll there. I haven't watched any games since Kiffin took of the reigns.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

Jon Gruden on ESPN once said Pro offense wasn't necessarily formations but more the terminology they use to call plays. He was talking about USC when he said it. He was basically saying USC uses same terminology as NFL teams.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

I would consider it a balanced attack that is based on short passes and consistent attempts to run to set up play-action out of fairly standard formations like QB, RB, 5 OL, 2 WR, 2 TE. In terms of the NFL it is pretty flexible to adapt to what you have. Have a great QB like Manning? Throw it as much as you can. Have a great RB like Chris Johnson? Run as much as you can. Have 3 good receivers? run those formations as much as you can etc.

I think the definition is changing though to include more spread elements since that is the new hot thing going around the NFL right now.

Honestly, I think if a majority of NFL teams tomorrow converted to the wishbone then the wishbone would more or less change names and become pro style, and what we consider pro-style would become that "gimmicky" or "system" offense that nobody should draft from because the players would not be able to adapt to the NFL.

Example: WKU has a pro-style play book.
it has
a healthy amount of shotgun
a healthy amount of I-Formation
more Ace Formation than you can dream about
1 Strong formation
1 weak formation

not a lot of option thrown in (mostly generic stuff they try to put everywhere)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »