Home

Correct Overtime Ruling? Or Glitch?

This is a discussion on Correct Overtime Ruling? Or Glitch? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Icon5 Correct Overtime Ruling? Or Glitch?

My buddy is playing a game that goes into overtime. He gets the ball first and scores a touchdown.

The CPU (Nebraska) then takes its turn, of course. They fumble the ball and it is recovered by my friend (Iowa State); who then fumbles the ball and Nebraska recovers all in the same play.

Game over.

Really? In regulation I know this would mean Nebraska keeps the ball with a new set of downs. Is there a different rule for overtime or is this a glitch in the programming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Correct Overtime Ruling? Or Glitch?

I'm pretty sure this is the correct ruling, Nebraska lost its possession.

The play extends until it is over, but once Nebraska lost possession of the ball, their only hope was to get possession back during the same play and score with it during the play.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

That sounds like the correct ruling because in that scenario in regulation Nebraska would be given the ball with a first and ten assuming Iowa State had control after recovering the initial fumble. Thus it would be considered a new posession.

The last several years though the OT rulings have been totally messed up though which is why I looked at this post. I've seen it where in like the second OT the CPU gets the ball and scores first then the CPU gets the ball again, runs one play and wins!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Sam99
I've seen it where in like the second OT the CPU gets the ball and scores first then the CPU gets the ball again, runs one play and wins!
I cannot imagine my anger if that happened to me
Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Here's a question though...

What if Nebraska (using this same example) recovers the re-fumbled ball past the first down line? Would that make a difference?

If it has to do with getting a new set of downs, it would have been 1st and 10 anyways with or without the fumble fiasco.

I hope this happens in a game soon so I can see how the ruling goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Here's a question though...

What if Nebraska (using this same example) recovers the re-fumbled ball past the first down line? Would that make a difference?

If it has to do with getting a new set of downs, it would have been 1st and 10 anyways with or without the fumble fiasco.

I hope this happens in a game soon so I can see how the ruling goes.
wouldnt matter. Game should still end because the change of possession occurred.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

I got word from someone with officiating/rules expertise and they stated it was the correct call.

I think the clarifying point is to think in terms of "series" and not "possession".

You get one "series" per overtime.

If team A fumbles and in that same play Team B recovers and fumbles back to team A in the same play; the series would be over.

This means Team A's "turn" is over. Next it would be Team B's attempt on offense. If Team B already had a possession and was in the lead, then the game is over.

NCAA11 got it right. Very cool.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Rookie

Shankssta's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Sam99

The last several years though the OT rulings have been totally messed up though which is why I looked at this post. I've seen it where in like the second OT the CPU gets the ball and scores first then the CPU gets the ball again, runs one play and wins!
That happened to me the other day. It was bs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »