Home

Heisman Recruiting Bible Part 3: Offseason Ideas Tips Strategies

This is a discussion on Heisman Recruiting Bible Part 3: Offseason Ideas Tips Strategies within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Rookie

booyagadget's Arena

OVR: 2
Icon3 Heisman Recruiting Bible Part 3: Offseason Ideas Tips Strategies

I've completed the final (part 3/3) of the recruiting bible tips series for those that enjoy a strategy read. The off season still has many unanswered questions, so as with all the bibles, you should definitely stray sometimes and try new strategies and tactics from time to time.

This writeup is focused on the Off Season and covers topics that occur in the off season like:

position changes ( my favorite )
New Pool of players
cuts,redshirts, players leaving,transfers
depth chart
training results ( theories on why some grow )
custom schedules

Recruiting Bible Part 3 top 10 Offseason Tips

Hope it helps, or gives you some new ideas or topics for debate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Rookie

hawkeyebred2332's Arena

Re: Heisman Recruiting Bible Part 3: Offseason Ideas Tips Strategies

That's a good guide and all, but it's hardly anything I would call a "Bible". I didn't read anything that I, and I assume anyone that has played the game a few seasons, didn't already know. It's like a beginner's guide to dynasty mode.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm still a newbie and wimping out at Varsity level (play, and recruiting; GOTTA move 'up' and/or do sliders... I know, I know) and have built a 6* offline dynasty at Auburn, so my recruiting has gotten pretty good. So I agree, much of what's in the Bible is probably for newer players (probably its target audience, too), but I def picked up the tip of using Compare with anyone to gain points.
Know that sounds logical, but it had just slipped by me previously. I'd add the obvious that utilizing Compare w/ any pitch doesn't always net a lot of points as I stay away from this strategy with anything below an Average recruit interest level, and often not even with that level.

Bible-3 also misses on POS conversion of SS to LB and DE positions. Granted, I have that PocketScout program so I'm able to see the POS-switch numbers, but this is one switch that almost seems easy to see w/o the program. Most recent class pulled in five SSs knowing I'd be converting four of them, all upward OVR w/ the switch. One 81 SS converted to instant 86 starter at MLB (for departing 92 Sr.). Even after training of the returnees he bettered the inclumbent by +1. Allowed me to switch a different, young MLB returnee to DE where he's now a RS-So. 3rd stringer, but surely a future starter (Jr and Sr ahead of him).
Don't skip looking at the conversion option for FSs as well. Though he's only going to be a 1-yr starter, I've got a FS I switched to LOLB (his 1st season, two FSs returned ahead of him; was a Top Choice 78 OVR recruit that didn't want to ignore) that was 2nd string b/h All-American 95 Sr last year, that is now a 94 w/ SPD of 96, ACC of equal, tackle of 92, etc. Built playing time w/ Mass Subs last season and he ended up as +5 improvement in offseason. Should be a sick blitzer and flats cover guy.

I differ with Bible on training incr's when planning for the future. I always limit myself to a +2 incr when looking at annual development and where a recruit might fit in with what I've already got at that POS. For this reason, it precludes me from certain JUCO-Jrs -- even w/ a RS year giving me back that 2nd year of progression -- as I'm 'seeing' a +4 in OVR and/or skills for that POS won't pass someone already on the roster by year 2 or 3.

Have never gotten an answer to probably my first post here on OS about whether playing time positively affects the amt of increase. Was convinced, like with Bible's supposition, that it did...until this past offseason when a HB that was 3rd string as well as my top PR-er, but saw significant time (12 TDs, more than 500 yds) due to alternating INJs to top-2 guys at HB, received less of an increase than the 4th string guy who only got in as the sub, late in games, after Mass Sub. Perhaps he had more 'room' to improve? IDK. For such a key element in the game -- i.e., how do I get my players to improve? -- you'd think some of this would be know-how passed on to the human players rather than a ton of "well I think...." statements that border on, if not smack you on the forehead, common sense yet can't be proven.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Overall a pretty good guide although I will agree that a lot of it is common knowledge. It was a pretty good read though.

Some things I would like to comment on, 1st position changes. This is something I use a lot. One thing that I have noticed that you didn't mention is players seem to get a boost to progression the next year after making a position change. For instance if you change a player between his sophmore and junior year he will after his junior year get better. I think this is due to an awareness loss in a position change and then gaining that back once he has learned the position but I'm not sure.

Also, when you are recruiting it can be helpful to look at the individual skills of players and look for guys who may fit what you want in a different position. This can lead to smaller penalties or even bonuses to the overall when making the switch.

Another thing is the overall really isn't that important. The skill set and how you use the player is the real key to a successful change. After all, if you use your slot reciever a lot on options, reverses, screens, and other short yards YAC style plays then that 90 overall 6'4" 84 speed reciever with great spectacular catch and catch in traffic ratings but weak elusiveness, trucking, moves, etc will not be nearly as effective as that RB that you moved to WR who is an 80 overall but has mid 90s speed, acceleration, and agility with good scores in trucking and elusiveness. However if you want the player to run routes down the field the guy who was initially a WR and has a better overall will probably be a better choice.

Likewise if you run a lot of PA passes where your number 2 TE runs deep routes then that converted WR may be your best number 2 TE even if his overall rating doesnt show it. If you want the guy to block however that converted LT may be a better option.

The other part of that section was althetes. First off with the guy you used I would not really consider him as a guy who I could play a DT or DE due to his size. I would really only consider him in 5 or 6 spots. That said athletes can be a great boost to your recruiting plan. Often even 1 star athletes who as an athlete are listed low to mid 50s overall will become 60s or even 70s with the right position change.

Also, athletes can offer some helpful unique skill sets such as LBs who can cover like safeties allowing you to stay in a base formation against 3 wide sets or corners who can support against the run like LBs and can allow you to more easiliy move to a nickle set while stopping the run or WRs who can make moves like RBs or RBs who can catch like WRs. There are all sorts of interesting and helpful things that can be had there so I suggest chasing athletes whenever possible.

The next area I kinda disagree with is the idea that you will be hurt by putting 60 minutes per week into your recruits. If you do it right you can put that much into anyone who it will help you with and still get all 25 scholarships filled every year and with as good of players as you will get with any other system. Also in this area I will give the answer for scholarship offer timing.

Here is my minute allocation strategy. 1st I will select the 8 players I most want who have the green dot but don't have me as their top school. I then select the 12 most wanted players who have me as their top school. If there are not 12 such players then I will add 1 to the 1st group making 9 players that I will chase hard(one thing to note, if I need a K or a P I will use one of the 8 slots on them sometimes without a green dot)

In the 1st week of recruiting I will call the 1st 8 players for 60 minutes just learning about them. (if you see a 2X multiplier here then don't try to learn, just hardsell as you will get more advantage out of the multiplier and you need to take that when you can) With the other 12 recruits I will call them for 10 minutes just to offer a scholarship. As a 1 star school you will probably get 2-4 instant commits here. As a bigger school it seems you get a little more.

After the 1st week I will reevaluate my board. There should be about 17 players left on it, 8 who may not yet have me at the top of their list, and around 9 with scholarship offers who do have me at the top. Anyone I have offered to that has no other offers will go to the bottom of my list. They get 10 minutes per week until something changes. If someone wants to contest me then I will reevaluate these players but until then I will slowly add to my lead.

This is especially effective when starting out with smaller schools because there these will mostly be 1 and 2 star recruits and other schools wont chase them. However if you do a good job picking 1 and 2 star players who fit your system you can get some really good really cheap talent.

Next any players who were in the 1st 8 who now have me at the top of their list and no other offers, they get an offer from me and then go down with the bottom group.

I will count the bottom group players. You have 60 topic discussions per week. There will probably be 7 or 8 players in that group to start and each will get 1 topic per week leaving you around 52. That is enough to chase 8 other players with a few minutes to throw to a 9th. I will choose the top 9 players then that haven't gone to the bottom and chase them like crazy moving players to the bottom group when I can and then adding another to replace them on my list.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Rookie

booyagadget's Arena

Man, there is some really great feedback here.
Friggin operation sports is solid...

One thing cool about producing the bibles is the feedback, I actually get a lot of good ideas from comments. For example, there is much debate on the Green-Dot theories... Some guys think it's B.S., what I tend not to know is what team they're using.

thanks for the thoughtful comments. I agree 100% that "most" every single point in any of the bibles is up for some discussion. And I definitely tweak a lot. I think the game also does a good job of changing depending on your team etc.

The challenge with producing bibles is how greatly recruiting fluctuates. Another massive variable is the team that you begin with. Some bible points aren't applicable to a guy starting off with Texas. Gotta remember this is from years of playing with WSU Cougs who are extra terrible this year.

All things considered, like many readers here, my teams are consistently top #25 recruiting, and my squads will end up at 6 Stars eventually.(that's when it gets fun) I think the bible(s) are a safe way to get there based on my experience. However, as many smart/experienced players have pointed out, there may be Faster Ways to get what you want with minor/major tweaks to the strats. For a newcomer it would definitely give 'em a safe/solid foundation until they mold their own style.

Love Recruiting.

We are eventually also gonna put together some other focused articles/videos. Probably zooming in on Running the Ball effectively, Manual Defense by position ( playing LB vs DT vs S ) type stuff, and taking control(literally) on offense. Should generate some more interesting chatter..

thanks guys..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

Off-season recruiting is really a different animal. You pretty much have to start in the top 5, use all 3 promises, and pump 60 minutes to have a shot of landing 4-star+ guys. You must be in the top 3 to be eligible for the home visit. THat's key. It's worth it to offer a scholarship and promises early to get your school into the top 3. My basic strategy is to get player into the top 3 asap (by almost any means), schedule the visit for week 4 or 5, and start swaying the "average" and "above average" categories. Swaying works pretty well late in recruiting. I've had good success getting guys who even soft commit come to my school by swaying and using promises liberally

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »