Home

Developing your QB's

This is a discussion on Developing your QB's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Rookie

TheBauerHour's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Developing your QB's

I look for a QB that's going to play all four years. Your QB, along with your offensive line, are good ways of judging what your offense is going to be capable of during the season. I love recruiting balanced QB's. Good arms, proficient accuracy, and can run and make plays with his feet if needed, and with a balanced offensive line that knows how to block both the run and the pass, you're on your way to an unstoppable balanced attack, just make sure you don't get careless throwing over the middle
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

For me, it all depends on my team. I'm not someone who always wants a 4 year starter. This year in my OD, as UNC, I have RS JR Bryn Renner as my starter (real life player). I recruited the number 2 QB (5 star) guy who came in at 77 overall (now a 79 10 games in from awareness increases). I chose not to redshirt him, as I like having a change of pace QB. I play him at HB and QB, as his OVR at HB is 74, and his awareness, even when at HB, is about as good as my starting HB. He's played solid, and is probably my best HB, averaging around 8 yds per carry (although some have come off of option keepers or scrambles when in at QB). I'm not looking for anybody this season, but next year I will be looking for a solid QB to recruit, redshirt, and grow, as Renner will be in his Senior year with Dailey in his true Sophomore year.

Usually, I do like to redshirt my QBs for a season, though. But Dailey had a mid 70's awareness (now at 78), higher than any other QB on my roster. I figured giving him playing time would be better for his growth (Maybe not game wise, but I'm running it realistically). I also love him as a HB, and if his awareness wouldn't get destroyed switching to HB for a year then back to QB, I'd do it. He's by far a program changer, even if I'm struggling this season due to my defensive backs being an embarrassment.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

The ideal QB situation for me is to sign a star recruit at the end of my current starters junior year. If I have a good 2nd string QB, I'll redshirt the stud freshman, make him the starter the next season as a redshirt freshman and hopefully have him start the next 4 years. I'll continue to recruit quality depth, even juco players, then repeat the process and sign another top QB recruit during my starters junior year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
MVP

InspectahDeck's Arena

OVR: 18

It really depends on the team and the situation you find yourself in. I will post some examples of my online teams.

Texas - Garrett Gilbert won the Heisman as a Junior. He decided to comeback and play his Senior season. I had a incoming 5 star QB recruit from Texas prior to his Junior season. So I RS him during Gilbert's Junior season. He has backed up Gilbert during his Senior season. He is going to be the starting QB as a RS Sophomore next season.

Iowa - Ricky Stanzi leads my Hawkeyes to the national championship. I'm in a position with a weaker recruiting team so I need to be open to all options. I check out what's available to me and all I can find is a Juco Sophomore QB from Ohio. He is rated as a 4 star prospect has the ability to run and a strong arm at 6'4. I go hard after him week after week. Ohio State has no interest in him as CPU and I finally get on his board and get his commitment. He has been really good his first season as starter.

West Virginia - This was a little different seeing I came in during year 2016. I had a Senior QB and a Junior QB and then not much else on my roster. I wasn't able to land a quality player my first full season because it was to late and no quality interest come off season. I go into my 2017 season with 1 good QB on my roster. I check out the recruits and find my best option again is going the Juco route. Another good running QB who can toss the ball around. I get extra lucky in the off season and get a 5 star prospect that I get to RS now. So I let my Juco kid lead me for the next year or two then I have a quality player in the wings for when he leaves.

If you are Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC schools like that I wouldn't bother with Juco players. Because you know your always going to have quality players looking at you. But if your a fringe top school or lower I would take any quality QB you can get your hands. You don't want to end up with your pants around your ankles for passing on a Juco kid and ending up with a 2 or 3 star player who is horrible.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

Recruiting JUCO's is all I can do at Arkansas State, and I love it. They come in and start for me right away and give me 2 solid years. It's so much better than recruiting a low rated freshman; come in, get redshirted, probably sit a year or two then start. It really just cuts out the middleman. Some of those JUCO guys can be studs (check their ratings).
Old 12-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 20

I like big armed QBs so when using a smaller school who can't compete in recruiting with the big dogs I will try to bring in guys with big arms and weak accuracy and let them develop. This may not give me great career numbers but it gives me productive players in the long run. If I need a guy to hold me over I will go with either a mobile guy who can create offense for himself or an accurate guy who is ready to start right away but once the stronger armed guy is ready he will start
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #15
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm not able to recruit 4 year starters with the types of schools I use. I try to land solid 3 star guys or 2 star guys that fit my system well. Usually they will come in with low to mid 60's OVR. I'll redshirt them and have them ride the pine for two seasons or so. Once they get three seasons of development in, I can hope that they'll have broken 80 OVR by the time I'm starting them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2

As Purdue, I've had a great string of real life QBs in the four years of my dynasty.

Robert Marve started for the first two years and played well. He was 90+ overall when he left.

Year 3 saw Caleb TerBush start as a senior. He played some the previous couple years, having around 50 career pass attempts in two seasons.

Year 4 I have Rob Henry as my QB. Also have real life Sean Robinson as a Junior backing him up.

There are certain situations where I will recruit a guy with the mindset of getting him on the field as soon as possible and letting him start every game. Sometimes when recruiting you get that stud QB in the mold of a Terrelle Pryor where you know the guy is an amazing talent. Haven't been able to get one of those yet at Purdue, so I stick with the guy who is the best passer.

Right now I have Chris Charles, a 3 star guy I recruited two years ago, as my backup QB on the depth chart simply so he gets in the game when I package swap. He's basically a Newton/Tebow clone at 6'5 260 with good ball carrying skills. His passing is not so great so I'm not sure if he will ever start for me. Also on my roster is a 4 star athlete that turned out to be a pretty good QB. He's 71 overall but with passing skills that mean he will get a lot better with playing time. He may be may actual backup next year while Charles is #2 on the depth chart just to get in and run some option plays. Also recruited the #2 overall QB, a guy who is 6'5 246 with poor mobility but good passing skills. I can see this guy redshirting his freshman year and maybe sitting another year before becoming the guy for me.

In the next couple years, I'll have excellent QB depth even if one of the underclassmen transfers. I can then afford to look closer at 3 star or so QBs to get a guy I think can be that career backup or maybe start his senior season or spot start for an injured guy if needed. Then maybe the year after I get the 3 star guy I'll begin to look for another guy who can possibly start as my underclassmen become upperclassmen and begin to leave.

For recruiting, unless there is that stud guy I really covet, I'll usually go every other year looking for a guy I think can start. In the years between, I look for that 3 star guy who I think has the skills to play eventually, but maybe not right away. My luck has been pretty positive with 3 star guys not transferring and sitting for 3-4 years before getting significant playing time.

A lot of times I'd be very reluctant to toss a true freshman out to start from day one unless the guy is unquestionably the best QB on my roster or he's one of those once in a decade prospects like a Terrelle Pryor.

I tend to stay away from JUCOs unless I need a guy who can step in and play immediately, no questions asked or if I'm dangerously thin at QB to the point of getting a walk-on.

Of course this is just for my Purdue program that I've had on the upswing for the past four years. Now a 6 star program with a Rose Bowl win under my belt, so things definitely would vary if I took over a smaller program.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »