Home

Developing your QB's

This is a discussion on Developing your QB's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Developing your QB's

How do you develop your QB's? Do you have them sit for several years or start them right away?

In my Gators dynasty I recruited Mark Sutton who was the 6th rated QB in the class and rated a 79 OVR. I redshirted him his freshman year and then the next season I brought in the 9th rated QB named Jeremy Chambers who had a cannon but below average accuracy (79 OVR). The next season the two battled it out for the starting job as they each split snaps throughout the majority of the year. I was pulling for Chambers to win but it was obvious that Sutton was the better QB.
2012 stats
Sutton 158-271 58% 2,702 yards 22TD 10INT
Chambers 94-192 48% 1,833 yards 14TD 10INT

In 2013 I recruited Brian Sims (82 Ovr) who was the #1 QB and the 5th overall recruit in the nation. Think Michael Vick. Again I started the season splitting snaps between Sutton and Sims. I was pulling even harder this time for Sims to win the starting job. However, Sutton once again emerged as the clear cut starter throwing for over 3,000 yards and 28 TD's.

Finally in 2014 Sutton is the full-time starter and is currently tops on the Heisman watch list after 4 games with 17 TD's and only 1 INT. He will likely finish his career breaking all Gator passing records.

wondering if you guys have your own method, process or tradition that you have your QB's go through before being anointed the starter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Developing your QB's

I usually look for 4 years starters, I like to redshirt them first year they are on the team and start them from there on out. I keep repeating this process. I'll take juco's or decent qb's to be the backups that are still capable but easy to recruit so I don't have to spend a lot of time on them. Usually a 3/4 star prospect who has me #1 on their list and I can get a commit from them early.

Another thing I like to do for my backup is find an ath with good running skills and c+ throwing power then convert him to qb. I will usually bring him in shotgun and let him run the ball a couple times a game.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

I look for four year starters as well. JUCO players are really just my safety net incase I don't have somebody else. I like redshirting the guys their freshman year and then have them start asap unless they have to start their freshman year.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Pro

footballfan4life's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves 82
I look for four year starters as well. JUCO players are really just my safety net incase I don't have somebody else. I like redshirting the guys their freshman year and then have them start asap unless they have to start their freshman year.
What are JUCO's

NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
MLB: New York Yankees
NCAA: Ohio State Buckeyes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan4life
What are JUCO's
Junior College players. Most players that go to Junior College is for their grades. They go their for a year or two, still play football, and then go somewhere else. They'll come in as sophomores or juniors. Cam Newton was a JUCO player. He started at Florida, then went to JUCO, and now Auburn obviously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Jucos sometimes have higher ratings than regular players. reruited a 4 star RB who was 68 ovr and a 3 star juco rb that was a 72
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Jucos sometimes have higher ratings than regular players. reruited a 4 star RB who was 68 ovr and a 3 star juco rb that was a 72

True but realize they are older and have fewer years of eligibility. Most JUCOs are Jrs - so only two years of PT remain. That same 4* rated 68, if you redshirt, then give him 2 more years to reach JR year eligibility might improve to a 74-84 ovr by the time he only has 2yrs of eligibility remaining.

Typical rule of thumb is if you need a starter/high rated player, check out the JUCOs. If you can afford to redshirt/build depth, usually is better to go after the non-JUCOs.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

When I take over a job at a program my first task is to bring in a top QB and RB of at least 4-stars and throw them into the fire regardless of what other talent is on the roster. I then recruit 1 QB and RB per year, every year and let the carousel begin. For instance, In my dynasty I am in my 4th year at Auburn. My first year I recruited Lamar Dickson (4* QB - 79 OVR) and Paul Jones (4* HB - 75 OVR). Threw both of them in the fire as true freshmen and now in their junior season I won the SEC and am back in the BCS title game. Dickson is currently rate 91 (64% completion 3100 yds and 24 TD and 3 INTS) and I have seen a dramatic leap in his play between his first 2 years and his 3rd year. Jones had a freshman year (2400+ yds and 32 TDs) and hit a sophomore slump (1200+ yds 16 TDs). Now he is rated 85 OVR and had a storybook year (2500 yds 34 TDs), but finished second in the Heisman.... again UGH!!! Some receiver from SMU (91-overall) had 296 recs, 2997 yds, and 32 TDs, I kid you not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »