Home

Players Playing Above Their Rating

This is a discussion on Players Playing Above Their Rating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5
Players Playing Above Their Rating

I'm a big offline dynasty player and I'm always looking for a challenge. The dynasty keeping me occupied now is a created team dynasty that was made as a "Cupcake" team. I've been in the process of building and am having good success 5 years into it (playing every game). But as I've got along, I've had players that were the highest rated at a position not play well and find that the backups that are lower rated seem to do better. I can't really figure it out as I even look at the individual ratings.

For instance, I had RBs with fumble problems, so as I cycled through guys trying to find someone to hold onto the ball, I end up with my 5th stringer. Low and behold my lowest rated running back (although not by a significant amount - just 6 points) seemed to do the best and most consistent job for me. It also played out like that with my QB, who I am now starting a 78 overall guy over an 81 guy because he has a better arm and I need someone who throws well and not runs well in my offense.

It doesn't always make the most sense, but I like it because it seems a bit unpredictable, much like real life. Have any of you ever had similar experiences?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Rookie

cOWASs68's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Players Playing Above Their Rating

I think there's other posts on this too-- but there are definitely guys that play bigger than their ratings, or worse than their ratings. I have been starting a 80 OVR QB over anybody higher than him for all 4 years of his career because he just RUNS the offense better. Don't know if it's true but he throws way above what his ratings are...and it seems like the guys even block better for him, etc. In another dynasty I'm in-- same thing-- QB #2 for Utah State has started 3 of his 4 years over people rated higher than him because he just plays better. Glad there are some similarities to real life here! Guys that just WANT it more-- or guys that maybe the team "respects more," or play with more heart-- whatever is programmed in there. Good stuff. haha
Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's all in your head. Specific attributes dictate performance on the field. A QB with a significantly lower passing ratings will not throw better than a QB with higher ones. Unless you are throwing different passes with the lesser QB and changing your offense to compensate.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Banned

CFRMIC$'s Arena

OVR: 4

Try my sliders on the slider page.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
XB1 GT: Cubone Jones

Cubone_Jones's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the veteran
It's all in your head. Specific attributes dictate performance on the field. A QB with a significantly lower passing ratings will not throw better than a QB with higher ones. Unless you are throwing different passes with the lesser QB and changing your offense to compensate.
What he said.

The only difference is when you take advantage of a certain set of attributes only. A running QB with a 90 OVR would might not execute a Mike Leach offense as well as another 80 OVR who has better passing attributes.

I use lower rated runningbacks often when they have higher acceleration and stiff arm because that's how I play and that is more effective for me. With fullbacks I move a tight end there and start him even if he is a 60 OVR because he will catch well out of the backfield and in my offense the HB just reads the FBs butt and cuts the opposite way. I have tried to avoid looking at players' OVR this entire year and my teams are typically full of higher rated guys on the bench.

One exception to the "attributes are all that matter" line that I have personally found true is the height of wide receivers. I will take a 75 OVR receiver with good jump that is 6'5 over a 80 OVR that is 5'9 any day. Try throwing more jump balls and do some experiments and you'll know that height matters when throwing the football. This logic probably holds true for tall QBs and batted passes too, but on a smaller scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor
What he said.

The only difference is when you take advantage of a certain set of attributes only. A running QB with a 90 OVR would might not execute a Mike Leach offense as well as another 80 OVR who has better passing attributes.

I use lower rated runningbacks often when they have higher acceleration and stiff arm because that's how I play and that is more effective for me. With fullbacks I move a tight end there and start him even if he is a 60 OVR because he will catch well out of the backfield and in my offense the HB just reads the FBs butt and cuts the opposite way. I have tried to avoid looking at players' OVR this entire year and my teams are typically full of higher rated guys on the bench.

One exception to the "attributes are all that matter" line that I have personally found true is the height of wide receivers. I will take a 75 OVR receiver with good jump that is 6'5 over a 80 OVR that is 5'9 any day. Try throwing more jump balls and do some experiments and you'll know that height matters when throwing the football. This logic probably holds true for tall QBs and batted passes too, but on a smaller scale.
I disagree. In my online dynasty I have a running back that is rated 90-something and my backup is like an 83. Now, my starting back has been injured twice this season, this second time for 11 weeks or the rest of the season (which is a total different BS topic). Now, the backs are the same type of backs and the back up is lower in every rating that matters to RB, but yet he consistantly has a higher YPG than my starter did. One thing that I was wondering is if maybe the defense does not key on the run like they do when the starter is in? But, it is definately not just due to rating differences.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
MVP

InspectahDeck's Arena

OVR: 18

I got this situation in a online dynasty with West Virginia. I took over when they were 4 or 5 seasons deep already. I had this HB Blake McNeil who was rated mid 90's as a player. He had horrible speed but good outstanding acceleration. He could never get through the holes fast enough and if he did he couldn't run away from anyone. In 4 seasons at West Virginia his longest run is 15 yards! After pounding my head into the wall for a season and a half with this kid I decided enough was enough. I checked out my depth chart and found a kid RS Freshman Tavares Heffner. He was rated in the high 70's. But he had the speed to get through the holes and enough acceleration. He rushed for 1,008 yards and 21 touchdowns as a RS Freshman. This year he has 820 yards and 13 touchdowns through 8 games. He has runs of over 70 yards in both seasons.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
I disagree. In my online dynasty I have a running back that is rated 90-something and my backup is like an 83. Now, my starting back has been injured twice this season, this second time for 11 weeks or the rest of the season (which is a total different BS topic). Now, the backs are the same type of backs and the back up is lower in every rating that matters to RB, but yet he consistantly has a higher YPG than my starter did. One thing that I was wondering is if maybe the defense does not key on the run like they do when the starter is in? But, it is definately not just due to rating differences.
Good opinions all on the topic, pretty sure we will never be able to know the whole truth behind the programming.
My original thinking was that there just has to be some rated category for 'that other' player that allows him to out perform the higher OVR guy. Say, for example, Awareness in QBs (which we've all learned is important).
I like the idea that maybe the D...relaxes(?) a bit when facing the lower-OVR guy. We know they (user vs. CPU) know our play when we break the huddle, so why wouldn't they know the caliber of each player we're lining up?

A good debatable topic, that we'll probably spin around until NCAA '12.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »