Home

Redshirting top recruits

This is a discussion on Redshirting top recruits within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Rookie

clemsonfan's Arena

OVR: 2
Redshirting top recruits

I finally started landing some of the nation's top recruits in my dynasty. I have the #1 QB and he had early playing time rated as very important. My question is, how early is early enough? I would like to redshirt him for his first season as a I have a junior that is pretty good and start playing him some his second year (redshirt-freshman). I didn't promise him that I wouldn't redshirt him so my question is, will he transfer? Has anyone ever had a player that ranked early playing time very high or most, transfer after you redshirted him even though you didn't make any promises about redshirting or first year playing time? I'm also quite cautious now about unhappy players as last season I experienced the online dynasty transfer bug where if you talk any unhappy players out of transferring, the game will say dynasty not available and you can't progress. The only way the online dynasty will advance is to choose advance to the next stage without convincing any of the unhappy players to stay. Basically I had 3 guys I had to wave adios to even though two of them were willing to stay.

In my opinion, a QB that redshirts, gets to play some his RS-freshman year and then starts the next three years is considered playing early but who knows if my opinion coincides with EAs. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Redshirting top recruits

Early playing time is one of the pitches that I wouldn't recommend using. Reason being, I have heard of people starting him immediately, then finding he wants to transfer and the promise is broken. Common consensus is that you should have him #1 on the depth chart before advancing to the regular season, that is the best thing you can do to hopefully keep that promise. And then of course play him all year. Early PT means playing immediately, but even then, it's supposedly glitchy and you might get screwed.

I also like the topic of do you play these guys or redshirt them? For players whose stats I can control (QB's, HB's, WR's, TE's... MLB) I play them right away if they are great and I need them. That guarantees you three years with a great player and you only have to try to convince them to stay one time. If you play them right away they can't go pro till after their junior season. On the other hand, if you redshirt a great player and then have two great years they can try to go pro after their soph. year.

Most other positions I will redshirt them and hope they stay all four years and become a 99 OVR.

I'd like to hear what everybody else does.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

As far as play or redshirt, I go strictly off my depth chart. If a guy fits into my depth chart and will significantly contribute as a frosh, I'll play him. I'm not just talking OVR either-- if they can help, they're playing.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

If you're just talking his interest level, then it doesn't mean anything, actually. Pitch interest is meaningless once they make it onto campus. But if you promise playing time, you have to keep him 1 on the depth chart.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
If you're just talking his interest level, then it doesn't mean anything, actually. Pitch interest is meaningless once they make it onto campus. But if you promise playing time, you have to keep him 1 on the depth chart.

I mis-read his post, thanks for clearing that up for me.

yeah if it's just his pitch interest, no worries whatsoever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

What't this transfer bug you are talking about for online dynasty? I am in my first ever OD just getting ready to wrap up my first season with my team builder, and when I recruit I don't ever make any promises. Will I still worry about this transfer bug, and what is it exactly?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

If you don't make promises, it won't bother you. If you promise a winning record against rivals as a TB team, it will always come up as a failure to hold the promise.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
If you don't make promises, it won't bother you. If you promise a winning record against rivals as a TB team, it will always come up as a failure to hold the promise.

Thanks for that that is interesting I did not know that. I didn't know my team builder team could have a rival. I replaced Indiana and one of my coaches goals says "beat Purdue", so I'm not sure if Purdue is now my rival or if I just don't have one. Oh well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »