Home

The Perfect NCAA Football Game

This is a discussion on The Perfect NCAA Football Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: The Perfect NCAA Football Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcloudgopher
If you're playing as a pocket QB, the CPU automatically drops you back 3 to 5 yards depending on the pass selection.
No way. There are already too many issues with canned animations doing things at inappropriate times. Sideline toe-tapping when a catch-and-turn would do is an example. My solution, until implemented and proven unworkable, is to hold the L trigger (strafe button) for drop backs. This would allow a QB to take their drop, set-up after a scramble and give an actual plant-and-throw feeling. If not held, the QB runs. Using the sprint button removes the passing icons. To throw on the run, one would have to release the sprint button and use a normal speed. To be accurate you would have to plant as described above.

It seems most people are focusing on insignificant things such as "Create-A-Sign" or "Mouthpieces" and forgetting about the fundamentals of football.
This is true, but is also the reason we have the game we do and not a straight sim. I've been saying this for years, but it's worth repeating: The video game business (not just EA as you mention) is gearing itself toward a more casual audience. Facebook games, the success of the Wii, sports gamers more worried about dreadlocks, mouth-guards and facemasks than glitches, cheesing and legacy gameplay issues. Simply put, there is more sales potential for games that cater to the arcade style of gamer than the true hardcore, sim style player. You realize this as you mention it later on, but that is what "the people" want. I'd like Call of Duty to make a true hardcore mode with accurate hit detection. But the sales aren't tied up in military sim people, it's with 13-year old kids that want to exploit glitches, trash talk and otherwise ruin what could be a good experience because to them, in their catered-to, get-what-you-want world, that is what they expect. And they get what they want because they tend to control a good portion of household spending.
amen man, but look at the show it does both, it pleases the casual gamer and it pleases the sim players with the solid gameplay, etc. So it can be done

My Pennsylvania A&T Baseball Dynasty (MVP NCAA 06)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsheen
amen man, but look at the show it does both, it pleases the casual gamer and it pleases the sim players with the solid gameplay, etc. So it can be done
I agree, but the one caveat is that The Show is an internally developed game for the PS3. That's not to say that EA or 2K couldn't make a true sim football/baseball game that has mass appeal, but given their current direction, I see it as unlikely.

What it seems to me is that SCEA decided to make a game that really shows off what they can do as developers, what the system can do and make you at least give a passing thought to purchasing their products. It really is a genius stroke of marketing.

I have always held out hope that SCEA will make an NFL game, as they are allowed to do as a first-party developer. It might take them a while, mostly because they would have to rely solely on US sales. (I would imagine The Show does quite well in baseball-crazy Japan. American football is a tough sell worldwide.)

But, a game done as well as The Show could really start to swing the masses over to Sony as opposed to the 360-dominated scene. Add to that Microsoft's unwillingness (or inability) to make a first-party sports game, and Sony could have two aces up their sleeve.

Last edited by stcloudgopher; 01-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah back in the day Sony(989 sports) studios use to make some killer college football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I would also like to add some more following things:

1. How is it that on Madden 11, some teams on that game have the read option play and the cpu on Madden 11 can run the read option play to PERFECTION. That play always go for positive yards, on average 8 yard gain every time the CPU runs it.

2. How is it on Madden 11 the punt return blocking is so much better ???? You can actually get good average return yards on there.

So IMO they need to start combining the best from each games together into one game. The running game is better on Madden 11, the blocking is better, CPU RBs run with a purpose on that game.

However the presentation is better on NCAA. The player models are better on NCAA, the camera angle is better on NCAA. But yet the line interaction is better on Madden 11. The passing motion is better on Madden 11 too snce they have various passing motion styles on that game along with various QB stances.

They really need to come together.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »