Home

The Perfect NCAA Football Game

This is a discussion on The Perfect NCAA Football Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Banned

cr00v's Arena

OVR: 4
The Perfect NCAA Football Game

I imagined a perfect football game today, and I'd like to share that with you now. This is literally my idea of how football gaming should be.

If you're playing as a pocket QB, the CPU automatically drops you back 3 to 5 yards depending on the pass selection. The CPU sidesteps the pressure for you so you can focus on making the correct read. It's the D's job to mix up the coverage and confuse you. Once they've put a hand on you and/or you've eclipsed the 4 second mark, you're free to run wherever you'd like to try and escape the pressure. You will be sacked 2-3 times a game depending on the DL's tackling ability. Fake the snap to find out where the pressure is coming from. Shifting your protection would play a significant role in slowing down the pass rush. Leaving your TE/RB in to block would also play a vital role in protecting the QB.

If you're playing as a scrambling QB, you should probably find a playbook that is suitable for him instead of one that is primarily 3-5 step drops. This is where custom playbooks are crucial. Give him a lot of rollouts & option plays much like Oregon's O.

Isn't there more people who would want this? It seems most people are focusing on insignificant things such as "Create-A-Sign" or "Mouthpieces" and forgetting about the fundamentals of football. Everyone knows that the battle is won in the trenches, but if the trenches are won 50% of the time, then the deciding factor would be how well your quarterback can read the defense, and how well the defense counters that by disguising the blitz and confusing him.

This, in my opinion, would be the perfect game. Force us to sit in the pocket and make the reads like a real QB. Force us to actually mix up the coverage and fool the QB in order to slow him down. Force us to win by great play-calling! There has to be more people out there who would want this. At least give us a 'Hardcore' mode so we can choose to play realistically while cheesecakes on 'Normal' mode can go and have a 27 yard drop fiesta with themselves.

I know I'm asking a lot from EA since they basically cater to cheesecakes, so how about just dropping the camera down to field level once they back up 10+ yards? That wouldn't give them the ability to find an open receiver. They shouldn't be able to throw an accurate bomb on the opposite side of the field while in stride to some wide open receiver who has 8 yards separation since he's had 8 full seconds to obtain that separation.

What say you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Perfect NCAA Football Game

I don't completely agree with making you immobile for a few seconds...but I think they should make it awkward for you to make a big drop then throw or throw on the run.

Im going to make a comparison to the NFL. When you Mark Sanchez take one of his 27 step drops every so often, he is awkward and is clearly chased down by the DL very quickly. The ball comes out bad. It should be this way in the game. You should just be scared to make a 27 step drop because of the consequences. The play should be basically completely blown apart at that point.

Then look at Aaron Rodgers. He's terrific throwing on the run. When you see him throw on the run, though, he is always running to his right, because he is right armed, and he isnt awkward because it is a more natural position. If youre a right handed QB and you roll left from the pressure, its way more awkward to throw. If youre a lefty, then vice versa.

Only really fast, scrambling QB's can get away with this kind of stuff in either the NFL or college. But it should be apparent that they aren't as good of throwers than the pocket passers. There's a reason the pocket passer still exists.

And I agree with fake snapping to find out the pressure and read the coverages. With the recent patches or tuner updates, play action and pump fakes have been pointless. I think the defense should bite on play action if youre gouging them for 8 yards a pop. I think the defense should bite on a pump fake if theyre watching the QB. There needs to be a bigger difference between man coverage, where a corner watches the WR and zone, where theyre watching the QB. It should be two totally different sets of mechanics.

I like football so much because you can win by outsmarting the opponent. Its not like swimming or track where you can't win if youre not better than the other team. In football, especially, over all other sports, you can outsmart youre opponent and win. I'd love for that to be a focal point in the next edition of the game.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

My perfect game would just be one that works as intended. Another Online Dynasty championship decided by simulation last night because EA refuses to fix the user vs. user National Championship game bug.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

The perfect NCAA game for me would be scrambling QBs. The QBs should have better chase and evade logic. Kind of funny when I think about it that many years ago when I was college, chase and evade logic was one of the 1st programs that we were taught.

We programmed a cat chasing a mouse. When the mouse seen the cat coming after him, he ran away. Not only did he run away, but ran away smartly with arc paths, different angles, etc. Everything wasn't just a straight line. And that was in the 1st month of C ++ class.

So when I hear people say it is hard to program scrambling QBs or it is time consuming, I know they lying and it is BS.

Same thing with procedural awareness. All that is tracking logic. QB throwing is nothing but tracking and targeting logic. All this stuff is taught in the 1st 3 months of a C ++ class.

So they really need to get their stuff together. People aren't dumb. That stuff is not that time consuming when it comes to AI logic. Especially when you have a development team of dozens of people. It is all about managing your time and resources right.

Have some people program the AI, some program the graphics, others the sound, others the stats, etc. It use to be a time 10 years ago and more, Sony had this game testers club. If you were a member of this club you got a card, card and contract agreement stating you were part of their beta testers program and you had a NDA.

Every other month or so they would mail you early build demo discs to your house of a game they were working on and your job was to right down, being as detailed and specific as possible where and when if a bug was found. Whether or not you thought the game was fun, you liked the level design, character design, enemy design, etc. Then you mailed that info back to Sony. Each demo came with its own reference number because usually since it was an early build, it really didn't have a title name yet.

EA and other companies should go back to doing that. Hell nowadays it is even easier to do it with Xbox Live and PSN. They should do it the same way Microsoft does their preview of beta dashboards and features.

In the sense you have to register your console serial number and console ID number with the beta team. That way if you are selected, they automatically send the information to your console via Xbox Live.

The technology is here. If EA did that, they could have a much bigger and cheaper pool of beta testers. NDA would be in full effect because since they have your console ID number, they could easily with a flick of a button ban you from EA servers, Xbox Live or PSN if you broke the NDA.

But anyway back to what I think a perfect NCAA football game would be. Scrambling QBs where as if the QB see's one of their linemen beat, they automatically run away. Different running animations for a speed back, power back, full back, TE, WR and QB.

Different throwing animations, different QB stances, I mean seriously even Madden has different QB stances and throwing animations. More catch animations, more tackle animations. More dive and slide animations.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
The perfect NCAA game for me would be scrambling QBs. The QBs should have better chase and evade logic. Kind of funny when I think about it that many years ago when I was college, chase and evade logic was one of the 1st programs that we were taught.

We programmed a cat chasing a mouse. When the mouse seen the cat coming after him, he ran away. Not only did he run away, but ran away smartly with arc paths, different angles, etc. Everything wasn't just a straight line. And that was in the 1st month of C ++ class.

So when I hear people say it is hard to program scrambling QBs or it is time consuming, I know they lying and it is BS.

Same thing with procedural awareness. All that is tracking logic. QB throwing is nothing but tracking and targeting logic. All this stuff is taught in the 1st 3 months of a C ++ class.

So they really need to get their stuff together. People aren't dumb. That stuff is not that time consuming when it comes to AI logic. Especially when you have a development team of dozens of people. It is all about managing your time and resources right.

Have some people program the AI, some program the graphics, others the sound, others the stats, etc. It use to be a time 10 years ago and more, Sony had this game testers club. If you were a member of this club you got a card, card and contract agreement stating you were part of their beta testers program and you had a NDA.

Every other month or so they would mail you early build demo discs to your house of a game they were working on and your job was to right down, being as detailed and specific as possible where and when if a bug was found. Whether or not you thought the game was fun, you liked the level design, character design, enemy design, etc. Then you mailed that info back to Sony. Each demo came with its own reference number because usually since it was an early build, it really didn't have a title name yet.

EA and other companies should go back to doing that. Hell nowadays it is even easier to do it with Xbox Live and PSN. They should do it the same way Microsoft does their preview of beta dashboards and features.

In the sense you have to register your console serial number and console ID number with the beta team. That way if you are selected, they automatically send the information to your console via Xbox Live.

The technology is here. If EA did that, they could have a much bigger and cheaper pool of beta testers. NDA would be in full effect because since they have your console ID number, they could easily with a flick of a button ban you from EA servers, Xbox Live or PSN if you broke the NDA.

But anyway back to what I think a perfect NCAA football game would be. Scrambling QBs where as if the QB see's one of their linemen beat, they automatically run away. Different running animations for a speed back, power back, full back, TE, WR and QB.

Different throwing animations, different QB stances, I mean seriously even Madden has different QB stances and throwing animations. More catch animations, more tackle animations. More dive and slide animations.
I heard something like they cant use the actual players or embody them or something. If thats true, then they should just adjust the styles for different heights and weights. A QB who is 6-4 and 190 and a pocket QB should throw and scramble differently than one who is 6-7 and 250. Same with Runningbacks or WR's. A 4-3 DE should be different than a 3-4 one. Maybe they should rearrange depth charts and have like

0 tech, 3 tech and 5 tech positions, and you only list depth for ones that you use in your defense or offense. If you run a 3-4, there is no listing under 4-3 DE. If you run a run and shoot without a FB or TE there is no listing for them. Have a recruit project into multiple possible positions and then change their position into what you want them to be.

I still have recruiting board problems when I let the CPU fill vacancies. My run and shoot team will still go after TE's and FB's because I have none even though I really don't need them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr00v
I imagined a perfect football game today, and I'd like to share that with you now. This is literally my idea of how football gaming should be.

If you're playing as a pocket QB, the CPU automatically drops you back 3 to 5 yards depending on the pass selection. The CPU sidesteps the pressure for you so you can focus on making the correct read. It's the D's job to mix up the coverage and confuse you. Once they've put a hand on you and/or you've eclipsed the 4 second mark, you're free to run wherever you'd like to try and escape the pressure. You will be sacked 2-3 times a game depending on the DL's tackling ability. Fake the snap to find out where the pressure is coming from. Shifting your protection would play a significant role in slowing down the pass rush. Leaving your TE/RB in to block would also play a vital role in protecting the QB.

If you're playing as a scrambling QB, you should probably find a playbook that is suitable for him instead of one that is primarily 3-5 step drops. This is where custom playbooks are crucial. Give him a lot of rollouts & option plays much like Oregon's O.

Isn't there more people who would want this? It seems most people are focusing on insignificant things such as "Create-A-Sign" or "Mouthpieces" and forgetting about the fundamentals of football. Everyone knows that the battle is won in the trenches, but if the trenches are won 50% of the time, then the deciding factor would be how well your quarterback can read the defense, and how well the defense counters that by disguising the blitz and confusing him.

This, in my opinion, would be the perfect game. Force us to sit in the pocket and make the reads like a real QB. Force us to actually mix up the coverage and fool the QB in order to slow him down. Force us to win by great play-calling! There has to be more people out there who would want this. At least give us a 'Hardcore' mode so we can choose to play realistically while cheesecakes on 'Normal' mode can go and have a 27 yard drop fiesta with themselves.

I know I'm asking a lot from EA since they basically cater to cheesecakes, so how about just dropping the camera down to field level once they back up 10+ yards? That wouldn't give them the ability to find an open receiver. They shouldn't be able to throw an accurate bomb on the opposite side of the field while in stride to some wide open receiver who has 8 yards separation since he's had 8 full seconds to obtain that separation.

What say you?
If you're playing as a pocket QB, the CPU automatically drops you back 3 to 5 yards depending on the pass selection.
No way. There are already too many issues with canned animations doing things at inappropriate times. Sideline toe-tapping when a catch-and-turn would do is an example. My solution, until implemented and proven unworkable, is to hold the L trigger (strafe button) for drop backs. This would allow a QB to take their drop, set-up after a scramble and give an actual plant-and-throw feeling. If not held, the QB runs. Using the sprint button removes the passing icons. To throw on the run, one would have to release the sprint button and use a normal speed. To be accurate you would have to plant as described above.

It seems most people are focusing on insignificant things such as "Create-A-Sign" or "Mouthpieces" and forgetting about the fundamentals of football.
This is true, but is also the reason we have the game we do and not a straight sim. I've been saying this for years, but it's worth repeating: The video game business (not just EA as you mention) is gearing itself toward a more casual audience. Facebook games, the success of the Wii, sports gamers more worried about dreadlocks, mouth-guards and facemasks than glitches, cheesing and legacy gameplay issues. Simply put, there is more sales potential for games that cater to the arcade style of gamer than the true hardcore, sim style player. You realize this as you mention it later on, but that is what "the people" want. I'd like Call of Duty to make a true hardcore mode with accurate hit detection. But the sales aren't tied up in military sim people, it's with 13-year old kids that want to exploit glitches, trash talk and otherwise ruin what could be a good experience because to them, in their catered-to, get-what-you-want world, that is what they expect. And they get what they want because they tend to control a good portion of household spending.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by playguitar90
I heard something like they cant use the actual players or embody them or something. If thats true, then they should just adjust the styles for different heights and weights. A QB who is 6-4 and 190 and a pocket QB should throw and scramble differently than one who is 6-7 and 250. Same with Runningbacks or WR's. A 4-3 DE should be different than a 3-4 one. Maybe they should rearrange depth charts and have like

0 tech, 3 tech and 5 tech positions, and you only list depth for ones that you use in your defense or offense. If you run a 3-4, there is no listing under 4-3 DE. If you run a run and shoot without a FB or TE there is no listing for them. Have a recruit project into multiple possible positions and then change their position into what you want them to be.

I still have recruiting board problems when I let the CPU fill vacancies. My run and shoot team will still go after TE's and FB's because I have none even though I really don't need them.
That is just an excuse.....That is why they have tendancy classification in the game. Your not embodying or mimicing an individual player, you just embodying a classification.

So therefore if they listed as a Scrambler, then they should scramble way often then any other QB. Balanced should scramble some, but not as much as a scrambler. Pocket should scramble as the last resort.

But in the end of the day, ALL QBs scramble, some people are just more agile and faster then others, but all QBs scramble.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
That is just an excuse.....That is why they have tendancy classification in the game. Your not embodying or mimicing an individual player, you just embodying a classification.

So therefore if they listed as a Scrambler, then they should scramble way often then any other QB. Balanced should scramble some, but not as much as a scrambler. Pocket should scramble as the last resort.

But in the end of the day, ALL QBs scramble, some people are just more agile and faster then others, but all QBs scramble.
I agree. It is not you are using player likeness. Using random tendencies would help gameplay tremendously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »