Home

Cheesing cost me a chance at a National title.

This is a discussion on Cheesing cost me a chance at a National title. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Cheesing cost me a chance at a National title.

sorry off topic but Maple Heights huh? They used to have some good wrestlers from there. On Topic- it sucks, but like I said go three deep contain and they will get frustrated and throw a pick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #26
Rookie

stevensa08's Arena

OVR: 3

One of the main reasons why I dont play online is because of that kind of crap. I know its a game, but its a game you expect to be fair, balanced and most of all, fun!!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #27
Rookie

TheBauerHour's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah I can honestly say the league was falsely advertised as a "Working Gentleman's" league. Oh well, I'll probably just stick with Madden until NCAA 12 comes out.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 0

i learned to handle this in NCAA 10 with a 35-3 ranked record online but completely choose not to in NCAA11 as I have not played 1 single ranked game because of all the CHEESE i been reading about and exploits. I try to play in OD where i know ppl and we have a decent rule set that people try to follow. I'm playing alot of stale offline dynasty this year because of it. If anyone wants to start a dyn or a thread with some solid fair players im in. GT- i bustcannons20
Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #29
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10

Don't get me wrong I don't like cheesers but to me cheesing is taking advantage of a glitch. Like finding out that if i audible so many times my QB will morph through the line but I can still hike the ball and take off (use to be in older versions of the game) but there is absolutly no way you can stop it and it outside the who realm of what we call football. But four verticles is not cheese. There are legetimate ways to stop it.

First understand why people run 4 verticles. They run this play because it is a simple read. All a player has to read is the LB/DB lined up over the WR they want to throw it to, usually the slot. They don't even have to know what defense you are playing, if the defender leave the WR for any reason. (zone or blitz). I press the button easy completion, big gain,minimal effort.

Now there are several ways to stop this play, using man or zone, you have to find out which fits ur style of play.
Here are some keys to stoping four verticles.

1. Get in Coverage. Honestly, If you play with a Dline it will be tough to stop 4 verticles. Why? b/c the cpu is doing all your covering and the cpu is very predictable. Picking the MLB will go a long way in stopping 4 vert even with minimal stick skills. Just b/c it harder to predict hum movements.

2 Match Up. There is no way to consistently stop 4 vert if you don't play dime or quarters. You will be simply out man personel wise. Dime 3-2-6 is standard. b/c It gives that 8th man in coverage but keeps that extra LB in there for the threat of run and to check the back while you play the verticles. Even if they run four vert out of 3 WR and 1TE. 3-2-6 is your best option. Again this is if we know our opponent is running 4 vert.

3. Man is the way to go. By now I know you are saying. Pfft...I run man! I'm sure you do, just not the right man. There are only 2 man coverages you should be running. 3-2-6 2 man DE Contain or trusty ole 3-2-6 2 man. Anything esle, you are asking to get burned by 4 vert. The reason why the 2 man coverages work is b/c you basically eliminate throwing the ball to the outside recievers b/c the safeties are over top. Which now leaves the 2 inside men. When playing 2 man, all you have to do is control the blitizing LB but DON'T BLITZ! Use this LB in coverage and jump the man who your opponent likes to throw to. Now an experienced player will not throw it to the same player all the time he will simply see which inside WR has inside position on the defender and then lead the ball to the inside for the completion. So if you run across this guy. Simply look for the receiver with inside position and jump him. B/c you have two safeties over top there is a very small windows for him to throw the ball. REMEMBER the longer he takes to throw the ball the less the chances are to complete 4 vert. You want him to throw the ball deep b/c this is a low percentage throw. let the other LB cover the back. (I know I don't have to tell you to flip the play if the back is on the same side as the blitzing LB). yes I do. Flip the play if the back is on the same side a the blitizing LB. Why? You are controlling the blitizing LB. The other LB is supposed to cover the back man to man. If he is on the opposite side its too far for him to cover, I don't care how fast he is. Simply flip the play and control the other LB. Rule of thumb; if you are not good at using the LB or Coverage, defend passes using the swat button instead of the intercept button.

But wait there is still a problem....

-my opponent likes to scramble outside of the pocket. This is when you use 2 man DE contain. This time you control the LB that is supposed to spy. I normally run this play anyway b/c most people try to get outside the pocket, when they see their WR's are covered. Flip rule still applies.

-my opponent likes to scramble up the middle when I run 2 man DE contain. You can Hot route your DT to spy QB he should start to give chase as the QB inches toward the line giving you time to come back downhill to make the tackle. Or pinch your line to give the illusion that you are playing the middle knowing that you are playing contain. Trust Me your DE's will get to the edge and contain. This can lead to easy sacks as people just try to run outside the pocket b/c of the pinch.

-My linebacker is too slow to check my opponent RB. This is when you switch to quarters defense. Run Quarters 2 man. Warning: The person who is supposed to check the RB is the safety in the middle of the field. You will have to move him closer to the LOS yourself, if not he will try to man up the RB from 10+ yards deep. Do not play with him switch back to the LB once you have moved him.

4. DON'T PRESS! You got the right personel on the field, you are playing with the LB, you've flip your play, you've called quarters. Okay your ready to stop 4 vert. But then you give your opponent the easy read again by calling the press. LOL. This is what he want you to do. All he has to do is see if his WR beats the press and throw quick, big gain, cry cheese. And chances are one of the 4 will beat the press. Its just to risky don't do it.

To conclude....

Again understand that if you are following these tips there is a small window for 4 vert to be completed and this is usually around the 7-10 yard range to the inside receivers, the outside receivers should be all but shut down unless you have severe match up problems. The longer he has to hold the ball the less his chances of completing the pass. BE SMART! If you jump a receiver and he doesn't throw it chances are he going to try to throw it to the other inside receiver. LETS GET OVER THERE! If he doesn't throw it then chances are he is going to scramble. LETS COME BACK TO THE LOS! If he don't scramble chances are he's wanting on somebody to break open. GET BACK IN COVERAGE! Hopefully before it gets to that you'll have a sack but be warned sometimes with this method they will have a lot of time to throw a pass.

If you play somebody that runs four vert but they do it to run everybody off so they can scramble. You have to become a baller and makes some plays because it going to be a long one.

P.S. That would be a good time to run some zone but I'm too tired to write about it now but if anybody wants to know just ask.

Final point.... LOL

The problem that I find with Video game football is that people think everyone supposed to play within their definition of football. But realistically in real life football if a coach finds out that you can't stop a play you will get a heavy dose of that play until you show the other person you can stop it. Now this typically doesn't happen in the NFL(which most people watch), b/c they have people that track every play that you run during the game and are taking pictures of every play. So you will rarley see a play ran more than 3 times. In game scouting is just too advanced. But on lower levels of football (NCAA included) if a coach sees you can't stop bubble screen, they are going to bubble screen your *** all game. Think Wisconsin and their Power O play, Mich with the QB read and there are many other examples.

Last edited by 4solo; 01-26-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
Rookie

TheBauerHour's Arena

OVR: 9

Good stuff, definitely will be taking that into account next time. Like I said, I was mismatched heavily being a Big Ten squad facing Oregon. I don't mind when people run All Verts, it's another play in the playbook, but 4-5 times in the last drive was a bit irritating.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

I play only vs CPU so don't face the same dilemma, but flip play b/c of blitz LB v HB alignment, pushing SS up, and NOT pressing in certain situations are great advice I never knew about.
Loosen up and go after zone, now. I rarely call a zone coverage and most times when I do it's to audible to a delayed bump-n-run. As good as my D and coverage guys are, zone just seems to always allow teams (F-ing FLA!) to march down the field on me. I've completely altered my recruiting of CBs to requiring them to have high Press ratings with speed. I don't even go after a corner w/ press in the 70s (and he better be Usain Bolt if it's in the low 80s) b/c I play man almost exclusively.
Zone advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

My tips for the OP:

When someone has to drive the entire field in a minute or two, blitz the crap out of them. The key is pressure to get them to do quick throws to WRs that will hopefully be tackled in bounds costing them a time out or precious time off the clock. If you're lucky, sometimes they will do 3 quick throws and set up a 4th down for the game. As a previous poster mentioned, nickle overstorm brave works great for 4WR, just don't press your coverage or you will get burned. You can even back up coverage on this one as your LBz are the only ones blitzing and don't move back when you loosen your coverage. You can also hot route the safety covering the RB into a deep zone if you think the player won't check down to the RB. If they do, you can manually blitz with an LB and keep an eye on the RB while you're blitzing.

For 5WR I like the dime blitz that sort of looks like a cover 2, but the nickel and dime backs blitz. I can't remember the name, but one of the DT's are in a spy, I like to reblitz him with a hot route. I hot route the mlb into a deep zone to protect the deep middle. The only area of the field that is open is the middle and again, we are looking for tackles in the middle of the field to get your opponent to call timeouts or burn clock.

Next, I like using the gameplanning settings. I turn my pass coverage to Conservative, so my db's attempt swats instead of going for INTS while playing zone. I think a lack of doing this is why plays such as verticals are so effective because a DB or LB going for a missed INT attempt equals that flatfooted "watch the catch" situation. Additionally, your nickle and dime backs plus the MLB should be more apt at swatting a pass then getting an INT. Better yet, sometimes off a successful swat, the ball carries high and you can get an INT off all those pass attempts.

Against 3WR. Try the thunder smoke out of the 4-3. This really brings heat (almost as much as engage 8) and gets your opponent tackled in the open field. Just watch out for the RB leaking as in the overstorm brave.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »