Home

IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be like?

This is a discussion on IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be like? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be l

Even a basic coaching carousel would be great, but if they're going to do it right they need to make sure that each coach has attributes. Basically everything I'd like to see has been listed already. All i know is that if they implement a solid coaching carousel, the game's an instant buy for me.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be l

All I know is whatever they do, it better be fully editable. I want the ability to edit existing coaches and create new ones. I want to edit anything and everything about them in my offline dynasty.

I also want overlord control over any coaching changes for every team, not just my own. If a CPU team does something I deem unrealistic, I want the ability to override it.

Full customization and control is the only way this feature will provide replay-ability. If I've learned anything about EA over the years, it's that they usually don't get it right the first time.

While this will certainly be a great addition to the game, having a broken coaching carousel could potentially ruin dynasty mode.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah I wouldnt mind creating/edit a good coach on a bad team and seeing the improvement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

OVR: 0

My post earlier was about what I would like to see. Below is what I expect to see (if there is indeed a coaching carousel in NCAA 12).

Basic, basic, basic
As we all know, EA likes to add features that need a few years to be fully fleshed out -- or in the case of Campus Legend, features that are abandoned and left for dead. I am starting to doubt that we'll get a carousel in 12, but if I'm wrong, I expect to see a very primitive feature set. I do not expect assistant coaches to be included. I do not expect any specialty grades for offense/defense/special teams, etc. I do not expect a "career" ending. This will be a bare-bones scenario.

Hi, 6-star prestige calling
You will still get to pick your starting point, just as you do now. You will still be offered impossible jobs after two years of success.

PSU Coach expects Gators to rout Bulldogs
This may be my biggest fear, and it ties into the "career" aspect I mentioned in my first post. I can fully envision a scenario where the carousel does not involve any new coaches (unless generated by the user), and will instead involve all the current coaches going to new schools. Joe Pa will still be coaching in 2020, just not at Penn State.

Thanks, but no thanks
At some point, probably early on, a big-time coach will be fired after winning a National Championship. Much like your RS So. OLB transferring even though he was set to be a starter. Much like your Jr. QB going pro at 86-overall. There are so many inconsistencies and random variables already built into this game, I fear there will be even more with a carousel.

Come to FAU, where the "A" is our Title Contender status
A carousel would add much needed re-playability to what has become a very stagnant Dynasty mode. But without some overhauls in other areas within Dynasty, a CC would be another band-aid on a severed jugular. The recruits generated need to be better, certain grades need to be reeled in (like FAU, USF, FIU all being A+ in Title Contender, Tradition...).

WARNING. WARNING. -500 RUNNING IT UP.
Season Showdown will be tied into your Dynasty like now, except that trying to pick up that first down with a pass while leading 28-14 early in the 4th will result in a hit to your Prestige. Sorry, but trying to win the game is secondary to being nice.

There are other things that I fear will happen. The track record for EA implementing a new feature, sticking with it until it works and then keeping it is not exactly exemplary. I'm not trying to get worked up about EA and what they do/don't do, but the fact this has not yet been implemented makes me believe it never will be, no matter how loud our voices are. Scrapping Campus Legend and Season Showdown would create the room on the disc. Giving full edit powers to the community would make the people that buy the games happy. But I expect none of this. I expect to be disappointed when we get the proper location of the bands, Create-A-Playbook that really only allows you to pick 10 formations (not the actual plays) and quarterbacks that still can't throw a proper fade.

Basically, I expect nothing. And, in that way, I can't really be disappointed.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3

It will be just like in college hoops 2k8....great.

we need it.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm pretty sure Season Showdown takes up hardly any space. The damn mascot games can be canned in my opinion, I don't see Legend going anywhere.

EA might just surprise you this year. I have to stay positive until proven other wise for NCAA 12.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 02-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I don't know that I expect this feature in the game this year, if ever. It remains to be seen what exactly EA's plans are this season, but I think the core game modes need a lot of help, and in reality it should be the focus. But I think we all know how EA marketing needs some sort of gimmick to lure in first time buyers, so that too remains to be seen.

Dynasty Mode and Legend both need pretty strong overhauls. I think one or the other might make improvements this year, but not likely both. Dynasty should likely be done first, particularly the offline mode. It really hasn't been changed much in years. A coaching carousel would be a great addition and certainly a basic step in improving Dynasty.

That said, I think dynasty needs to focus more on the coach, as in you, and/or the overall management of your current employer's program. Perhaps the best route is to give the user options, as I understand not all players will want to start from the bottom up, but I find that a much more enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

Just like the old college hoops games, you start your career at a lower level program and with success, you can move up the ranks as the most sought after coach. The fact is, coaches retire, get fired, or move from school to school. It needs to be an integral part of Dynasty mode.

I think EA was talking about some AD mode but I don't really know what that would entail and how it would differ from the present dynasty mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 3

I agree with an earlier post: Model it after CH2k8.
As far as staff goes, EA should probably roll this out w/ just OCs and DCs and maybe a Special Teams coordinater, at least for the first time doing this. Keep it simple so they don't completely jack the game up.

They pretty much have a blueprint to work off of in the last Gen Madden games. (Haven't picked up current Gen Madden, not sure if it is still in...)

Also, as mentioned, we should be given global editing over these coaches and philosophy.

Hopefully this feature makes it in, w/ a Create-A-Playbook feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »