Home

EA devs not really active this year?

This is a discussion on EA devs not really active this year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #41
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc0011
Last year the orange looked like crap...like tennessee's orange or something
Watch yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #42
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: EA devs not really active this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_Alex_Howell
Hey guys, just to reiterate what Adam said, we are VERY close to releasing information about this year's NCAA. I know we have yet to come out and say a lot about this year's title, but i can reassure you that info will be released very shortly.

And yes AJ, I actually DO see Adam everyday here at work
Oh, I wasn't implying he's not there, I just meant he's so dug into his work, I never run into him in the elevator or anything.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #43
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

While dev interaction on this and other sites certainly is an added bonus, at the end of the day it has yielded very little.

NCAA was a better game and made bigger annual leaps before devs began overtly interacting on message boards (expansion of 55 man rosters, HFA, impact players, spring game in dynasty, in-season recruiting).

Prior to dev interaction, there was a widely held belief that EA was too detached from the community (a belief still held by some). Guys like Ian and Adam have gone far in changing that belief. Additionally, message boards give the devs an opportunity to create a buzz for their games at no cost.

So, they get to kill two birds with one stone.

However, it's not about hype and it's not about a me feeling giddy that a dev replied to my post, it's about the game. And, the game is nowhere near where it should be despite the fact that we can communicate directly with its makers.

Give me the old days when the game had "it" and the devs were intangible, as opposed to the last few years when the game has been lacking though the devs can be touched.

NCAA was better and, truthfully OS was better too.

*** Now of course none of that applies to those posters who are overly concerned about the font on West Va's scoreboard or the . For them and the uniform queens, dev interaction has been great. They can email Adam pics of Western Michigan's endzone.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
XB1 GT: Cubone Jones

Cubone_Jones's Arena

OVR: 6

THEY'RE ALIVE!

... very soon means like today, right?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #45
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
So I just saw this post. And predictably I thoroughly disagree.

I don't understand how you can argue that the presentation was better on last-gen consoles when we have ESPN integration in NCAA 11; this flat-out didn't exist in any EA-developed NCAA game beforehand, and was very well done. For that matter we also have custom stadium sounds which allows for an element of customization to the presentation. This also didn't exist in any last-gen NCAA game.

I don't understand how you can argue that this game doesn't have the gameplay modes and features that its last-gen counterpart did when it has an at-worst on-par dynasty mode, a robust Teambuilder feature that surpasses anything done by EA to this point, and most importantly Online Dynasty which is arguably the most popular mode in the game now.

I'll allow that on-field play comparisons are more subjective, but in particular the Pro-Tak system, with regard to ballcarrier tackling by one or more defenders and also offensive-defensive line interactions, while not yet perfect, far surpass anything EA tried to do last-gen.

If you think the last-gen game is better, fine, but at least present a more specific argument to your opinion.
The ESPN integration is very very poor. All we have is old news from ESPN radio. On the last-gen games we had Sports Illustrated, we had in game updates to games going on around the league, we had a pre-game show (granted this years lack of a pregame show was due to uncontrollable forces). Oh and having my favorite team have a custom background was pretty cool, but really not needed. I'd be fine if it were just a simple dropdown list with a still frame background. Honestly presentation is not overly important to me, so long as the games plays very well. Maybe I take it for granted but, eh.

Now dynasty on the other hand, really hasn't changed for the better, but it has lost stuff. One of those being discipline. The biggest being medical redshirts. The lack of medical redshirts really kills a dynasty because I end up losing a year for my All-American Sophmore QB because of a week 1 injury. Another loss was FCS schools. I believe there were 36 in NCAA '04.

Gameplay has done nothing more than regress from where it was, and where it should be. You bring up Pro-Tak, which I will grant, was a good idea and helped the game, at first glance. In reality Pro-Tak is nothing more than a weird gimmick that actually hurts gameplay, becuase once Pro-Tak takes over, all players lose momentum, the AI does not recognize whether the player is on offense or defense, just that there is a player in position X.

Next you bring up o-line;d-line interactions. Yes this has been improved from the last-gen games, but is still lacking when compared to a game like ESPN NFL 2K5. In EA games the linemen must engage each other and from there they just grapple. They don't push or shove, just shuffle their feet. Also, many of the blocks, are not even genuine blocks, rather, if the blocker clips the shoulder of the defender, they motion shift both players into an artificial block, something that is not common in ESPN NFL 2K5. (I will grant that there is some motion shifting in 2K5 but it is not as prevelant as in NCAA Football and Madden.

Now understand that last gen titles were not perfect, but they were better.

Also, team builder, IMO, is nothing more than a gimmick. Just feature that can be hyped up and used as a selling point. Personally never used it.

Online Dynasty, IMO, was not a huge addition. They ported dynasty onto their servers. I'm not sure how different servers on a console are from a PC, but PC games have been able to hold onto campaign style servers for a while. See Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, LOTR:BFME2, Hearts of Iron or any online RPG.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Then don't buy the game... It's simple. Why even check for info when this is your mindset? I just don't get it. NCAA 2011 was a much improved game over the previous installments and I don't think this can even be debated.

If people have such a gloom view of this franchise, why do they even check the forums for this type of stuff and take time out of their life to post things like this?

You said what you said as if it were a fact, so why even bother? The game will never, ever meet your expectations.
NCAA was not an improvement. Obviously you haven't played this game long enough. It looks appealing to the person who doesn't know much about football and the casual gamer. It looks terrible to the people who actually know what is going on.

There is no reason features that were in the game 8 years aren't in the game now. It's such a bad business move. There is no justification for that.

When I see double and consecutive hit tackles like I did on the PS2 I will feel the series is moving in the right direction. When I see features taken out and then added back, and then advertised as a "new feature", I will call EA's bluff.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #47
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

What were the information release days last year? Tuesdays and Thursdays? I'm just trying to get my hopes up extra for a couple days a week.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Oh, I wasn't implying he's not there, I just meant he's so dug into his work, I never run into him in the elevator or anything.

Maybe he takes the stairs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »