Home

99 Speed: Too much of a good thing?

This is a discussion on 99 Speed: Too much of a good thing? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: 99 Speed: Too much of a good thing?

I have done this as well, except with two powerbacks that were not close in ratings (yes all ratings to RB were taken into consideration) and came out with similar results. IMO I believe the issue is that when you have the #1 running back in the defense keys in more on the run, but when you have the #2 running back in the defense backs off a little, giving you more room to run. I know it sounds crazy, but it is the only that made any sense, as the ratings of the two were not close; it was something like HB #1 = 94 overall and HB #2 = 83 overall. I started thinking about this because whenever my 1st string running back would get hurt it always seemed that my 2nd string would come in and tear it up
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Sometimes it seems like the backup has bigger holes to run through regardless of ratings. I do not know why.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Rookie

jcbarr's Arena

OVR: 0

This seems to be true for me. My backup always has a way better ypc average than my first string. It could be because he comes in as a sub when the defense is already tired, I'm not sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Rookie

Onslaught76's Arena

OVR: 0

I tend to run 75% of the time; mostly out of I-Formation, Pro. With a speed back, you really have to 'slow down' to utilized the speed backs. What I mean by this, is you have to allow the blocks to set up. For me, most the time it's the backside guard or TE pulling. You have to be patient to let the blockers engage and then you need to hit the hole. Rarely do I even touch speed-burst until I get to the line of scrimmage. It seems that once you hit speed-burst, the AI accelerates towards you to make the tackle.

The other thing I noticed about Balanced or Power Backs, is the fact that they break more tackles therefore upping their YPC.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 12

I had considered the whole "speed back overruning his blocks" theory, but I looked at some plays where I ran similar plays in similar situations with each RB and still came out with drastically different results.

Ex 1: Situation- 2nd and 10 from my own 45

Play Called: Strong I Normal, Power O

Result: SS starts to drop into a deep Cover 2 zone, sees it's a run comes screaming down and drops HB1 for a 2 yard gain (all other defenders were blocked, if I could get past the SS it was a 20 yard run easy).

Ex 2: Situation- 2nd and 12 from my own 38 (same game, next quarter)

Play Called: Strong I Twins, Power O (same play, but WR/CB moved to weak side of the formation)

Result: Again, the SS drops into the deep Cover 2 zone, but doesn't come up to stop the run until HB2 is 7 yards past the LoS, misses badly on an arm tackle, finally the FS tracks down HB2 and tackles him after a 34 yard gain (again, all the DL/LB were blocked, but the SS reacted much, much slower to the run than when HB1 was getting the ball).
Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

OK, now I'm wondering if this has anything to do with 2nd string guys?

Two seasons ago I had a RS-So. HB2 that definitely broke more long runs than Sr HB1, so much so that he gained over 1,000 and turned pro (double-whammy losing top-2 HBs, especially when hadn't recruited in-season for replacements).
Don't notice this '2nd HB field upgrade' this season. BUT, I will ask again if y'all think there might be something -- in a bigger picture -- to this 2nd string field bonus. For seasons I've noticed that when I Mass Sub defense, I'll get a sack from the d-line in their 1st series. When I notice that as odd is when I'll have played up to that point w/ 1st string and my defensive play has been dominated by LBs and secondary, no sacks though...until the 2nd line comes in.
Coincidence? A more general, overall 2nd string surge, instead of just the HBs we're talking about here in this thread?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Rookie

vahamaa's Arena

OVR: 4

I've never had great success with speed RB's compared to balanced or power RBs. I always thought I was an idiot. Guess i'm not as stupid as I appear.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

so the real test is to flip them on the depth chart, since it seems like you are doing formation subs to run 2 backs and see if your 99hb get more yards.

I have wondered why a 67 rs fr hb #2 could outgain my 74 sr hb #1 at buffalo by over a 100 yards a game... that would make sense that the guys are not focused on stopping the run against the backup...

macDreamzOD(2011) - USF 1-1 ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »