Home

need some assistance please regarding Senior playing time

This is a discussion on need some assistance please regarding Senior playing time within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
need some assistance please regarding Senior playing time

So I'm in year 3 of my dynasty and due to some extremely poor planning on my part, my QB, HB, and all 4 of my starting WR's are seniors. They all have very high ratings, and although the backups are pretty much all 3 and 4 star recruits, it seems as though this year the recruits are much less 'ready to play' as in previous years.

Should I have some sort of rotation between the graduating guys and the newer guys? My QB is a 98 overall, and I have a 99 overall WR, so I want to give them as much playing time as possible. And the rating difference between my SR HB and the freshman/sophomores is pretty great.

Also, how do I ensure that I have that latest patch that added in season progression? If I am going to play my freshman, I want to make sure that there is some progression. I am connected to the internet when I play but i didn't see any indication that I was downloading any patches.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: need some assistance please regarding Senior playing time

I don't know what to tell you about the patches, someone more technical can probably guide you there. As far as players and who you should play, if you have a 98 over-all QB and 99 over-all WR then by all means, play them.

The answers also depend on what your style is... is it a Pro or Run first style, where that 99 WR will get maybe 3 or 4 receptions per game at best, or is it a wide open passing attack where he will be getting 10-12? If it's the former then taking him out in games where you have a lead shouldn't matter, if it's the latter, then play him until you're so far ahead it won't matter.

I feel, and many here would agree, that EA really screwed the pooch on recruits in this game. They are all too ridiculously low rated. The work-around for this is creating your own recruits every year. Yes, it sux and yes, it takes time, and yes, you won't be able to land everyone you create, but it beats a 5-star player who comes in w/ a 70 over-all rating.

My philosophy is to play as many Freshman as possible, provided they are good, and gradually let them all build up together. You then have to recruit accordingly. If I have a stud at QB then his Jr. year I will recruit a stud QB... several, hoping to land one. When/if I do get him I will red-shirt him since my stud will be entering his Sr. season. Then, when the Sr. graduates the {RS} Freshman is ready to take the controls for 4 years.

I don't know how guys like Mike Leach do it, changing QB's every year like he did until Graham Harrell finally was in place for a while.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Pro

pirates946's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I don't know what to tell you about the patches, someone more technical can probably guide you there. As far as players and who you should play, if you have a 98 over-all QB and 99 over-all WR then by all means, play them.

The answers also depend on what your style is... is it a Pro or Run first style, where that 99 WR will get maybe 3 or 4 receptions per game at best, or is it a wide open passing attack where he will be getting 10-12? If it's the former then taking him out in games where you have a lead shouldn't matter, if it's the latter, then play him until you're so far ahead it won't matter.

I feel, and many here would agree, that EA really screwed the pooch on recruits in this game. They are all too ridiculously low rated. The work-around for this is creating your own recruits every year. Yes, it sux and yes, it takes time, and yes, you won't be able to land everyone you create, but it beats a 5-star player who comes in w/ a 70 over-all rating.

My philosophy is to play as many Freshman as possible, provided they are good, and gradually let them all build up together. You then have to recruit accordingly. If I have a stud at QB then his Jr. year I will recruit a stud QB... several, hoping to land one. When/if I do get him I will red-shirt him since my stud will be entering his Sr. season. Then, when the Sr. graduates the {RS} Freshman is ready to take the controls for 4 years.

I don't know how guys like Mike Leach do it, changing QB's every year like he did until Graham Harrell finally was in place for a while.
Shout out to Mike Leach and Graham Harrell

Taylor Potts Gang or Die
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils
So I'm in year 3 of my dynasty and due to some extremely poor planning on my part, my QB, HB, and all 4 of my starting WR's are seniors. They all have very high ratings, and although the backups are pretty much all 3 and 4 star recruits, it seems as though this year the recruits are much less 'ready to play' as in previous years.

Should I have some sort of rotation between the graduating guys and the newer guys? My QB is a 98 overall, and I have a 99 overall WR, so I want to give them as much playing time as possible. And the rating difference between my SR HB and the freshman/sophomores is pretty great.

Also, how do I ensure that I have that latest patch that added in season progression? If I am going to play my freshman, I want to make sure that there is some progression. I am connected to the internet when I play but i didn't see any indication that I was downloading any patches.

Thanks!
i would start rotating them asap. if you feel comfortable enough, i would go as far as starting the under classman running back and using hb sub personnel grouping to get the senior on the field when the situation is called for. im going through the same situation in my OD right now with my HBs. im giving my first 5* hb recruit as many touches as possible using formation subs/personnel groupings but go to my senior in the tough spots

as far as WRs go, just having them on the field helps with progression. put them in the slot, put them opposite of your #1, just put them anywhere as long as their playing. i have had atleast 4 95+ overall WRs in my online dynasty with toledo doing this and all of them were 4*s. i also run VTs playbook so its not like im spreading the ball out and chucking it downfield. but maybe ive just been lucky with my WRs....

youre in a tough spot with your QB though. outside of blowing the other team out and then bringing in your back up, im not sure theres much you can do unless your #2 has a completely different skill set that you can exploit.

Last edited by foo55; 03-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils

Thanks!
I say play your best players and worry about next year later. I red shirt almost every freshmen due to what you pointed out that they are not ready.

As for patches and tuners, you have them all if you are not asked to download a title update (patch) when starting the game while connected to the net. You will be asked to update the tuners so if you are not asked that then you have them. This happens while connected before the main menu starts. Can also look under file mangement to see if you have a tuner file. I would say it is the latest. Also know that the in-season progression is small and does not always amount to much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I say play your best players and worry about next year later. I red shirt almost every freshmen due to what you pointed out that they are not ready.

As for patches and tuners, you have them all if you are not asked to download a title update (patch) when starting the game while connected to the net. You will be asked to update the tuners so if you are not asked that then you have them. This happens while connected before the main menu starts. Can also look under file mangement to see if you have a tuner file. I would say it is the latest. Also know that the in-season progression is small and does not always amount to much.
I'm with you worry about next year and play this one out and go with your starters all the way. If you have some garbage time maybe put in mass subs, but other then that I never worry about it. It makes it intresting to me to see all the roster turnover with new starters.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Rookie

Its not like the damn game makes getting snaps/pt worth it progression wise for underclassmen. Have never noticed any difference in that vs. redshirting them or even if they arent redshirted but just get virtually no playing time.

So play your studs and next year will be next year. EA made this game so every snap/quarter/game/season is in a vacuum. Not enough of what is happening in a game/season affects much at all. Not much besides winning affects recruiting. Otherwise a big vacuum.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfRed75
Its not like the damn game makes getting snaps/pt worth it progression wise for underclassmen. Have never noticed any difference in that vs. redshirting them or even if they arent redshirted but just get virtually no playing time.

So play your studs and next year will be next year. EA made this game so every snap/quarter/game/season is in a vacuum. Not enough of what is happening in a game/season affects much at all. Not much besides winning affects recruiting. Otherwise a big vacuum.
i don't agree... when i redshirt my guys they go up 2-3 points
I played a true freshman qb 145 attempts he went from 78 to 91

you should see progression for your underclassmen more if you are able to get them more playing time, but you have to win the games first and foremost
...so my answer is you get them as much as you can afford to get them.

macDreamzOD(2011) - USF 1-1 ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »