Home

Modified Ratings Idea

This is a discussion on Modified Ratings Idea within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Modified Ratings Idea

One thing I would love to see EA implement is the idea of two "snap" ratings. As in one for "shotgun" snap and another for "under center snap." I am not a huge fan of the way it is right now being able to move your T, G, and C wherever you like. Plus, it would make the C that important in recruiting. If you are a spread team, then you would really be wanting to go after a C with a high "shot gun snap" rating.

I have also wanted to see them use a footwork rating when it comes to the Oline, but is that already the agility rating?

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

GREAT post.

NBA 2K has ratings that are similar to this, and you could even go beyond these to player tendencies like NBA 2K does. It would be great to see that in a football game.

Then you could create players with personalities, if you had a QB with a tendency to throw into tight coverage, etc etc. You could create true "gunslingers" and guys who are system "ball control" QB's.

RB's you'd really be able to differentiate a true "Power" running back with a "Speed" running back with their tendency to initiate contact, or their tendency to perform their certain skill moves. So a power running back would have a high tendency for trucking and stiff arm, while a speed back would have a high tendency for elusive, juke, and spin moves.

Certain player tendencies could be applied to each position and it would make each player more of an individual because right now, there isn't much difference in the way a 6'5 220 receiver plays or a 5'9 175 receiver. Or a "power" running back as opposed to a "speed" back.

EA would be able to get close to getting ratings right - but since they are not re-creating real players (or so they say in the lawsuit), guesstimates would be close. The community could tweak and change from there, as well as give full roster edits available during dynasty etc. (like NBA 2K does).

They would basically have to create "x" number of templates for:

Star rating: 1-5

Player Position: ex. Dual Threat QB or Pro Style QB

Player Position Tendency: ex. Aggressive (gunslinger), Conservative (system QB), Balanced (moderate aggressiveness), Run-First (Mike Vick Va. Tech type), Athletic (has throwing power & athleticism but needs awareness, QB smarts development)

Out of all the sports games that are out there, I think NCAA Football has the highest ceiling. There is so much potential and there is so much room to really make this game great.

NCAA 11 was a huge step forward and I hope that continues with NCAA 12. Good games sell big. I hope they continue to push the envelop on NCAA 12 not just for the hardcore fans but b/c it can be a big seller for them.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 7

I love the idea of a rating system like that, but the truth is that EA would probably not do this for either Madden or NCAA. Knowing how EA has handled new ideas, they probably would read this as, "Yep..." But I would love for an EA developer for one of their games comment on this idea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

^^^ As would I sir, as would I.......
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Nice Post man. One other thing I would like to see added would be ranges of ratings. That could be added to show player consistency. The greater the range the more inconsistent a player can be. Anyway, not gonna go into great detail, but just thought that would be like the icing on fantastic cake lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Also, i know that there are some ratings in Madden now that are used only in simulation and some that are only used when playing. Would all of these ratings be usable for playing the game or only simming like Catch in Traffic?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Playmakers,

I agree. It would be difficult to get that information perfect, which is why I would place information into percentiles rather than a flat "rating". It's far easier to say Player A is in the top 20% of the league in the ability to break up passes. Or Player B is one of the top 5% at straight bullrushing.

Further, I've always said that they should hire rivals to do the rating information for the teams. They generally have loads of data at their disposal.

At the end of the day, while I'd love to get an accurate roster, I think the general community would be pretty content if the top 30 teams were very accurate. From there, the accuracy could decrease the further you get from #1.

Let the roster creators work out the minutia.
Yeah i love his idea and your right they should hire Rivals to assign their ratings

NCAA Basketball used a similiar company (Blue Ribbons) to determine ratings for their March Madness

I just don't think EA would this for the college game because they probably have like 2-4 guys that work on rosters

But hey really if they did this and got nothing right with the ratings it wouldn't bother me at all because i can just do the ratings myself to fit each players tendencies

I guess they would have really read the boards and think along those lines.....we don't need them to actually rate the players for us just give us the tolols and we can do the work ourselves....

But having said i gurantee you there will be lots of people who will say it's not my job to rate 5000 college kids LOL!

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 03-19-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 9

Great post. I did something like this once... mostly for QBs, though. I also had some ideas about team chemistry and stuff.

I'd add a footwork rating for the QB... I'm not sure if the 'mechanics' rating covers it or not. It would coincide with accuracy... a guy with bad footwork would be less consistent with his accuracy and power, whereas a guy with a good rating would always get good zip on the passes and live up to his accuracy ratings.

Other things that I would consider adding would be some sort of clutch rating for high pressure games/situations, a leadership type rating (would be important to have a QB with good leadership, at least one offensive lineman, and most likely an inside LB.)

My ideas for chemistry were really pretty simple. The basic idea though, is that certain units that have played together for longer are better... offenses and defenses in general, offensive linemen as a unit, a QB and his center, a QB and his RB, a RB and his FB, a QB and his receivers, longsnappers and punters/holders, holders and kickers, defensive linemen as a unit, etc.

I think a lot of it could be used with your playbook knowledge ratings and the seniority/playing time stuff. The chemistry would probably be more useful for Madden than NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »