Home

Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on Sell Me On Coaching Carousel within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
You're missing the point.

Except for the extreme differences in styles: teams like Army/Navy/GT and teams like SMU/Hawaii etc. there just isn't THAT much difference between teams and how they play. For CPU teams 120 ways to win is more like 5, 2 of which don't even work.

If you went and played 10 games against Ohio State and assigned them 10 different playbooks you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball. You could even switch Tressel with other coaches and the same thing holds true.

The CPU teams all play a very similar strategy which is one of the reasons it's so pathetically easy to beat them in this game. You can adopt 1 style and never really adjust your gameplan based on who you're playing and have success. So the value of different playbooks goes down. And the value of different coaches goes down because outside of recruiting ability they are all pretty much the same.

Making coaches change schools w/o making coaches/playbooks/styles actually matter is choosing style over substance. It'd just be another halfway complete feature tossed into the game. I'm not going to make excuses for EA, the blueprint for a coaching carousel was laid out in a game that was released nearly 4 years ago.
Well said sir. If CC don't impact on field play then it's not worth adding. It's mainly cosmetic if it doesn't.

edit: If coaches don't have ratings then the individual schools ratings like now will be the only thing that matters so you will have the same issues with the same schools anyways winning. So whether Ohio State runs the spread or run the triple option they will be the same issue 6+ years into the game

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #50
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'm not going to make excuses for EA, the blueprint for a coaching carousel was laid out in a game that was released nearly 4 years ago.
That's what is crazy, November 19, 2007 was when College Hoops 2k8 was released and showed what Coaching Carousel could be. I still play that game from time to time for that very reason.

Full player edits too...

How about we get these into NCAA Football?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #51
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
You're missing the point.

Except for the extreme differences in styles: teams like Army/Navy/GT and teams like SMU/Hawaii etc. there just isn't THAT much difference between teams and how they play. For CPU teams 120 ways to win is more like 5, 2 of which don't even work.

If you went and played 10 games against Ohio State and assigned them 10 different playbooks you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball. You could even switch Tressel with other coaches and the same thing holds true.

The CPU teams all play a very similar strategy which is one of the reasons it's so pathetically easy to beat them in this game. You can adopt 1 style and never really adjust your gameplan based on who you're playing and have success. So the value of different playbooks goes down. And the value of different coaches goes down because outside of recruiting ability they are all pretty much the same.

Making coaches change schools w/o making coaches/playbooks/styles actually matter is choosing style over substance. It'd just be another halfway complete feature tossed into the game. I'm not going to make excuses for EA, the blueprint for a coaching carousel was laid out in a game that was released nearly 4 years ago.
Maybe it's just me, but I actually seem to notice when I play different playbooks. Most of my offline dynasties, minus my career one, are in the ACC, where you've got about half the teams running a pro style, a triple option, and a couple spreads, with one no huddle team. If I played Duke one year, with them running a no huddle, then the next year they aren't, I can play them with a whole different strategy. If Va Tech goes to a spread, I know I have to play more of an all around defense more often than run defenses. Georgia Tech, self explanatory. North Carolina, they go to a spread, and I know I can forget their run game, because it's pretty weak in the game, while they have solid wide receivers the first few seasons.

So yes, I actually change my defensive strategies depending on the teams I play. But I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying. Never have I said I WANT a bare bones CC. I want a College Hoops carbon copy. I still play College Hoops because of it. But why wouldn't you accept one that's a start? I didn't see anyone complaining that Madden put in Online Franchise in 2010 even though it was AWFUL. People were saying it needed work, but nobody once complained that they gave the option...
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #52
Rookie

CenTechsan's Arena

OVR: 2

I've been critical of EA for lots of things, but I see the CC as a huge headache.

They can't put real coach names into the game. So there won't be a "Joe Paterno" playbook. What then would it be? If you call it the Penn State playbook, what happens when a new coach comes in? And what happens when you go to the game set-up screen and try to pick your playbook? What are you going to pick? PSU Coach Playbook?

I guess this could be alleviated somewhat with custom playbooks, but I'm wary of that feature. I can see it being used to cheese the hell out of the game. There should be a way to pick a basic offensive philosophy, and then pick formation sets that align with that philosophy. You shouldn't be able to linclude Wishbone, flexbone, 5 wide, pistol, ace trips, Pro Twins, and Gator Heavy all in one playbook.

Maybe if they set it up where you could pick "one back" as your philosophy and then pick from shotgun/ace/pistol formations.

Or "Pro" and pick from the twins/Y-trips/weak/strong/normal power I stuff.

I just don't know that I like complete freedom with custom playbooks. To that end, I wish they'd do away with the "multiple" playbooks as well. I've seen players come out and run the wishbone for a drive and then switch to 5-wide when they get to 4th down. That's not realistic and makes it a headache.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

It's deeper than playbooks really.

They need to sit down and think about what separates one coach from another, then figure out a way to integrate it into the game. And on a larger scale what separates one coaching staff from the next. Coaches using different playbooks is just part of it.

It can even be generic coaches it doesn't really matter, just allow to user to edit everything (from name to ratings) as they see fit.

After they do that they can worry about coaches moving from one school to the next, then it'd actually matter who was coaching where.

I fear what'll eventually happen is they'll implement a "coaching carousel" everyone will get excited then a few weeks after playing the game we'll realize nothing really changed. Instead of just repainting the house they need to fix the foundation.

Last edited by poopoop; 04-06-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Coaching Carousel is probably the one reason my friend and I still have an online legacy going in CH 2k8. Right now I am still at my first school Chattanooga. At the beginning of the legacy Davidson and the College of Charleston were the top dogs in the conference. Davidson has still be pretty much the best team winning the most conference tournaments, but the CoC has fallen. They have a new coach and it is showing. They have went from a powerhouse in the conference to a lower tier team who is barely getting 20% attendance and is struggling to win 25% of the games.

Another example from my legacy would be Elon. They were the were the worst team in my conference the frist few years, but now they have a new coach and they have taken the spot of CoC as the second or third best team in the conference.

The carousel adds so much to the game. If EA had an exact copy of the 2k8 carousel with ratings, firings, retiring, assistants, play styles, recruiting styles, etc., then I would probably never stop playing dynasty mode. Dynasty mode is stale as it is. It has't changed much since coming to the newer consoles, but copying and pasting 2k8's legacy would easily make it sports game of the year.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Coaching Carousel is probably the one reason my friend and I still have an online legacy going in CH 2k8. Right now I am still at my first school Chattanooga. At the beginning of the legacy Davidson and the College of Charleston were the top dogs in the conference. Davidson has still be pretty much the best team winning the most conference tournaments, but the CoC has fallen. They have a new coach and it is showing. They have went from a powerhouse in the conference to a lower tier team who is barely getting 20% attendance and is struggling to win 25% of the games.

Another example from my legacy would be Elon. They were the were the worst team in my conference the frist few years, but now they have a new coach and they have taken the spot of CoC as the second or third best team in the conference.

The carousel adds so much to the game. If EA had an exact copy of the 2k8 carousel with ratings, firings, retiring, assistants, play styles, recruiting styles, etc., then I would probably never stop playing dynasty mode. Dynasty mode is stale as it is. It has't changed much since coming to the newer consoles, but copying and pasting 2k8's legacy would easily make it sports game of the year.
Completely agree.......Hands down. I would lose a ton of sleep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #56
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

nice, you've got me thinking about firing up 2k8 when i get off work. then again, it's kind of depressing that i have to go play a 3 year old game to get a coaching carousel b/c 1) 2k doesn't have any $ & 2) ea is dropping the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »