Home

Lawsuit Against EA Sports?

This is a discussion on Lawsuit Against EA Sports? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #57
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Lawsuit Against EA Sports?

I live in Arizona and I just got this e-mail. I know a lot of people have been mentioning mostly California, but I have no clue how to respond to this thing. I have only visited California a couple of times as well. Is this lawsuit for the entirety of the United States?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversityofArizona
I live in Arizona and I just got this e-mail. I know a lot of people have been mentioning mostly California, but I have no clue how to respond to this thing. I have only visited California a couple of times as well. Is this lawsuit for the entirety of the United States?
yes

@TimLawNYC Thank you for some clarifications. It's great to have things simplified
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
I'm in GA and I got the email last night. Everyone who bought the games and can somehow prove it (way is yet to be determined) is included in the lawsuit unless they exclude themselves from it.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #60
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Tim;

First of all, thank you for boiling down the important aspects of this case. Nice job.

My only question for you is, are you using speculation on point #4?

Based on information from an ex-EA employee that posts here from time to time (he worked on the MVP series), the NFL decided they could receive more money from 1 license vs all the licenses put together. He mentioned the NFL didn't appreciate 2k lowering their product to the $20.00 price point. The ex-EA poster said the NFL decided to have a bid between the video football game manufactures and the highest bidder would win out.

Based on that information, do you feel EA did anything illegally? In my opinion, it would be difficult to prove that EA had any wrong doing under IP laws.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #61
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3

@TimlawNYC

Thanks for that post -- very informative. My understanding of antitrust law is very basic and what I've written relies far more on what I've read in the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #62
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
It's a legit email. OS Steve tweeted that he received the same email.

But thinking back to my limited knowledge on this stuff, isn't a monopoly illegal? They could sue on the ruling that monopolizing anything in America is illegal in a business standpoint.
its not a monopoly. Any other company can make a football game. the NFL is a private company and they can sell their licensing rights if they choose. So that isnt a monopoly
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #63
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
its not a monopoly. Any other company can make a football game. the NFL is a private company and they can sell their licensing rights if they choose. So that isnt a monopoly
Your definition is very simplified and not all inclusive as to what a monopoly is. Read throught these posts on the previous two pages and you will get a better grasp of what is going on.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #64
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Your definition is very simplified and not all inclusive as to what a monopoly is. Read throught these posts on the previous two pages and you will get a better grasp of what is going on.
It isn't a monopoly, but potentially the same amount of influence which Tim called 'monopoly power'.

I think EA is fine here unless it's proven they used that power anticompetitively. If all the football games were $90, and they paid retailers not to carry Backbreaker would be 2 extreme examples of that.

Simple posts calling it a monopoly are incorrect, so I don't see what's wrong with pointing that out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »