Home

They Should Add This Aspect to Recruiting

This is a discussion on They Should Add This Aspect to Recruiting within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
A "game-y" way that early enrollees might be handled could be:
  • they favor schools with high academic prestige in the ways previously suggested
  • once they commit, if the recruit does enroll early (based on recruit's importance placed on academic prestige + school's academic prestige + some random factor to allow for variability) they get put onto the team before the progression step (rather than after as most recruits are), to simulate being in the program for spring and summer practice

Openly brainstorming here. I like the idea of their inclusion.
I completely agree that the incoming recruits should be a part of progression for that offseason.

I like the idea of tying to academic prestige interest.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #18
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: They Should Add This Aspect to Recruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
I really like this idea.

The only thing I would change is rather than it be a random factor, it can only happen to recruits who you pitch the idea to. Perhaps once they have committed, you can then spend 10-60 minutes per week trying to convince them to enroll early (i.e. it would be like trying to convince players not to leave early for the draft).

That would give two advantages; firstly that you actually have some influence over it, and secondly it would mean that the earlier they commit, the more likely they are to enroll early.
This is the best idea as far as how to decide who enrolls early. It can also be a hidden quality that the recruit may be unveil (saying he has interest in doing so) but convincing the player to come in early is most realistic.

Academic prestige should have LITTLE to do with this issue. Players leave school early to get on the field. Not to study. If a team has a severe need at running back the RB recruits will contemplate leaving school early to get an edge over their peers. Yes you may wish it was different but academics is low on the totem pole when it comes to leaving early. If a coach says you can get a great degree even faster if you leave high school early the player will 10/10 say thats cool but will I have a chance to play sooner? thats reality.

and have academics be important because of "qualifying" isn't wise either. All you need to graduate is enough credits and to pass the NCAA clearinghouse a 2.0 and a 19 on the ACT. Which isn't difficult by any means.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest

and have academics be important because of "qualifying" isn't wise either. All you need to graduate is enough credits and to pass the NCAA clearinghouse a 2.0 and a 19 on the ACT. Which isn't difficult by any means.
That's all that the Clearinghouse requires, but universities don't just let people in because they're athletes. Look at Michigan with Demar Dorsey. His grades/test scores weren't up to par, and he was rejected, even though he was the number one recruit. And that wasn't even for early enrollment.

But like I said. To graduate early, you have to take classes in a specific order. I tried to do it in high school (ran on trimesters, so I wanted all my core classes the first 2 trimesters. Had a 3.7 GPA and never failed a class, so I already had the cumulative amount needed). School wouldn't let me. It's more than just the athlete's wants. If the school doesn't let it go, or if the kid wants it but doesn't have the school work ethic, it isn't happening. A kid with academic desire at least isn't going to want to put the effort forth to schedule his classes a certain way then do the extra homework that it puts on him.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

I really like this idea to get recruits to come on campus early. And i also think another thing that should be implemented in recruiting is definitely scouting. Becuase lets be hones just because you are rated a five star does not mean that you are automatically going to be a good player. I think that maybe if you spend enough time scouting a player you should be able to learn more about their ratings and potential and what not. You should only get a certain amount of time to scout. And i think that there should be some lower sought after recruits that are three stars, that kind of are gems. For instance Montee Ball for Wisconsin was a three star and he is a good player. And Cody Green was highly touted out of high school, and Taylor Martinez was rarely even heard of, but Taylor Martinez was a bit of a gem. There should be very few gems, and only a couple busts though because these are rare occurences
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Rookie

GoldenDomer10's Arena

OVR: 3

I would love to see this implemented. I think player's position should factor in as well. Now you see many quarterbacks committing early in the year and these are the guys that are enrolling early.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm not sold that it should be based on academic rating, a lot of players enroll early because they care the most about early playing time.

If a team has a specific area of need and they can enroll early, it could help increase their chances because if they go through spring ball their chances of getting early PT go up exponentially.

I know Miami had Thomas Finnie switch his commit from South Carolina and enroll early partially b/c Miami is weak at corner.

Driskel enrolled early at Florida and is going to be a step ahead of Jacoby Brisset.

I think a lot of the kids that enroll early are in that position because they knew going into high school they wanted to graduate early and get their college football career going, not necessarily that they were super smart or academically focused
Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #23
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Such an idea ideal!

But srsly tho. I like it.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #24
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10

I like the idea of early enrollments especially if spring games were implemented but if they are not, including them in offseason progression would be nice.

I wish recuiting was stat based and combine number based as opposed to seeing all a player ratings. You could then have more bust. I'm one of those people that wish ratings were hidden all together or at least add player tendencies so ratings wouldn't mean as much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »