Home

Scrap the OVR Rating!

This is a discussion on Scrap the OVR Rating! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Scrap the OVR Rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakty
Not only that, but I would like to see players play up to their outstanding attributes instead of trying things they don't specialize in. I don't want to see a 165 lb speedback running over linebackers just because he's got a 90 ovr rating. Players should play to their listed tendencies.
that's not why he runs over a LB...in that situation it would be because of his break tackle rating and truck rating

also the strength rating for most of EA's default rosters are insane.....that 160 lb RB probably has like 80 strength if you leave it up to EA.

They've been that type of stuff for the last few years...............

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
Thank you......while NCAA Football has irritated me sometimes, I appreciate the fact that they didn't turn the game into NBA 2k11 or even MLB The Show. And while I love The Show, NBA 2k11 really takes the fun away for the first 2 weeks of play. I want the game to be challenging but I dont want the game to feel like a job or a TASK. If I dont feel like i'm enjoying the game (win or lose) within 3 hours, then as far as I'm concerned, the game is trash.
I take it you're one of the casuals that can't figure out how to dumb the game down enough for your own level of enjoyment. Depth is what we "hardcores" complain this game lacks and you're saying that it's too complicated?

Quote:
But think about it, in dynasty mode, where the game has to simulate anywhere between 3 to 50 games in a simulation week, the game needs numbers so it can produce results QUICKLY. I dont kno if people realize, in NCAA 11, a QB could have horrible passing numbers but a HIGH awareness rating and they would put up huge numbers. Could you imagine if the simulation engine used EVERY RATING available for ALL of the players on 120 FBS rosters? You would never get thru a season let alone a 15 year dynasty mode.

They can't scrap the overall ratings. Maybe it can be made hidden but then people would complain that the overall is hidden from the USER but not the computer.
I don't think noodle armed pocket passers should light up the field in simulated games either, but thats why EA needs to make actual RATINGS matter and not emphasize the OVR.

Last edited by blakty; 04-20-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
that's not why he runs over a LB...in that situation it would be because of his break tackle rating and truck rating

also the strength rating for most of EA's default rosters are insane.....that 160 lb RB probably has like 80 strength if you leave it up to EA.

Strength ratings are so off per position its crazy, I remember that most generated recruited LB's had higher strength ratings than DT's. A decent number of FS and SS's were right around DT strength ratings.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I know this is completely off topic, but I'm shocked to see LaMichael James rated below Colt McCoy.
That's a joke right? Colt McCoy was a monster in his system and probably woulda won a championship if he doesn't get hurt. Also he was shafted out of another appearence.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #29
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

It makes me laugh so hard when I go to recruit the #1 rated 5 star defensive end and see his strength is a D-
Old 04-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #30
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakty
I take it you're one of the casuals that can't figure out how to dumb the game down enough for your own level of enjoyment. Depth is what we "hardcores" complain this game lacks and you're saying that it's too complicated?
It's not about dumbing the game down, it's more about streamlining the whole process and getting realistic results. When I play with a crummy squad, I expect to get trounced unless I can make some miraculous plays, which rarely happen. But if I'm playing with a powerhouse team or have built up a program and have had a couple of great recruiting classes, then there are games I expect to blow thru pretty easily.

Many of these games feel the same, week in, week out. I played Oregon in a national title game, didn't feel that much different from playing Alabama. But at least the game didn't feel like NBA 2k11, where your player doesn't kno how to make a layup despite being a professional athlete.

I know I'm in a minority on a site like this, where you pro video gamers come on to show your online hardcore badges of honor, but I'm trying to hold up the banner for people who just wanna pop the game in and not feel unworthy of a $60 game.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #31
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
But think about it, in dynasty mode, where the game has to simulate anywhere between 3 to 50 games in a simulation week, the game needs numbers so it can produce results QUICKLY. I dont kno if people realize, in NCAA 11, a QB could have horrible passing numbers but a HIGH awareness rating and they would put up huge numbers. Could you imagine if the simulation engine used EVERY RATING available for ALL of the players on 120 FBS rosters? You would never get thru a season let alone a 15 year dynasty mode.

They can't scrap the overall ratings. Maybe it can be made hidden but then people would complain that the overall is hidden from the USER but not the computer.
I can live with the User not seeing it but the CPU does need it.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #32
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
It's not about dumbing the game down, it's more about streamlining the whole process and getting realistic results. When I play with a crummy squad, I expect to get trounced unless I can make some miraculous plays, which rarely happen. But if I'm playing with a powerhouse team or have built up a program and have had a couple of great recruiting classes, then there are games I expect to blow thru pretty easily.

Many of these games feel the same, week in, week out. I played Oregon in a national title game, didn't feel that much different from playing Alabama. But at least the game didn't feel like NBA 2k11, where your player doesn't kno how to make a layup despite being a professional athlete.
She has a point. Been playing NBA 2k11 as Jordan. Missed 2 fast break dunks. I mean, that's not even a skill thing. You hold right trigger, and up on the right thumbstick. With a 99 dunk rating, it shouldn't get missed.

But on NCAA, every game really does feel the same. The CPU plays the same style no matter what, and there's no real excitement after playing through the same conference for 3 or 4 years. You play Syracuse then Ohio State, and the games just feel similar.

@ Blakty and your noodle armed passer statement: You realize that overall means jack crap when simming for QBs and it's all Awareness, right? So your little statement there gets thrown right out.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »