Home

NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #41
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1

they've already told us that they have a physics tackling engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #42
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NCAA Football 12 - Gameplay Blog, Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRis
There's a difference between having a positive outlook and jumping the gun. Usually you give the benefit of the doubt when said publisher has earned it with their past offerings. I don't think that's the case here.

There have been plenty of times things have been "claimed" to be in and they weren't actually in to the degree it was claimed. The whole locomotion thing from last year should teach people to be "cautiously optimistic".

I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the presentation and atmosphere upgrades they've implemented, but I'm not going to **** my pants over gameplay features until I see them in action. I'm not taking a blogs word for it.
Yes they have claimed a lot about presentation and gameplay( still more to come) and they have given video evidence of all these "claims" and the gameplay displaying the tackling was looking great and it was still a "Work In Progress" You dont have to take the blogs word, view they videos. Plain and simple.

Define a "true" physics system? where we weight(or size) and speed actually dictates the game. As far as im concerned it all leads to an animation(in every game) no matter how you put it.
YouTube: TBD
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #43
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA Football 12 - Gameplay Blog, Part 1

You have to understand that everything is going to look good in these types of videos. They show individual plays at weird angles and are handpicked by EA. They aren't going to show plays that look bad. It's like if you look at a professional athlete's highlight film, you see all his positives but none of the negatives.

Raw unedited game footage is an entirely different thing and when that starts to come out I guarantee people will start seeing things that do not look right. It happens every year without fail.

Also I agree with dude who said EA hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by poopoop; 04-22-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #44
Banned

ChiRis's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
they've already told us that they have a physics tackling engine.
Animation based =/= physics based. It just takes a number if variables, and with those, spits out a certain animation.

I'm on my phone so I can't double quote, but to the guy who asked abou a true physics based system: have you ever played Backbreaker? It may not have been a great game but it wasn't because of it's tackling system. That was superb and not based on animations.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #45
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

like another poster said, the turning of big guys is a legit issue and i put that on the ratings IMO a 230lb guy should not have more than a 75 agility when you give them 80-90's thats where the game breaks.

the scat backs running over DT's should be an easy fix for the devs, it was fixed with str edits in a friends roster, give a small RB a 30str and he never flipped a DT.... its just a matter of how they expand the str rating. 50 should be weak, but for the sake on LB's and SS they made 50 real powerful.

bottom line the ratings under the hood needs adjusted and if we cant get the global editor they need to expand them so ratings of 70 and lower is bad/barely good.........

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #46
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRis
Animation based =/= physics based. It just takes a number if variables, and with those, spits out a certain animation.

I'm on my phone so I can't double quote, but to the guy who asked abou a true physics based system: have you ever played Backbreaker? It may not have been a great game but it wasn't because of it's tackling system. That was superb and not based on animations.
"Backbreaker relies on the Euphoria engine, a real time animation engine developed by NaturalMotion that has been used in games such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and Red Dead Redemption.[4] This allows animations for tackles and blocking to be created on the spot instead of using a limited set of canned animations.[2] Due to this, developers pushed to advertise that "no two tackles are the same" in an attempt to draw players to what they called a more physically realistic football game than its competitors.[2] The physics system was rated well by the reviewers, who commented that the integration of realistic physics created a very life-like interaction between the players on the field.[3][5] " this is taken from Wiki.

It is physics "based". This is exactly what EA devs are doing right now...a tackle animation//blocking animation will not begin "until contact" no more predetermined or "canned" animations. So there were always built in animations for tackles upon contact and not weight and force like people claimed BB was doing. I watched a 10 min gameplay of Backbreaker and the OL and DL interaction is the same as what EA is offering now. I watched one portion where even the OL "bumped" or established contact the DL(a DT) just shot by him like nothing even happened so pretty much even BB engine wasn't top notch, so i wouldnt expect the same for EA's new system. The only difference I see was that BB had much more "Phsyical Hit Animations" than EA's softer hits, thats why it seemed like weight and force blew people up. In BB almost every hit was a crash n bash animation which was cool. Now EA said they are doing it and I fully expect to see something similar to the first BB game( not sure if 2 came out yet) To wrap it all in a nut shell, all of these Games use Animations, its just BB used real time or "at the point of contact" animations First

Im expecting great things in 12 and 13//14 and so on with developing those real time or contact animations.

Last edited by PaperBoyx703; 04-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #47
Banned

UMCanes93's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
"Backbreaker relies on the Euphoria engine, a real time animation engine developed by NaturalMotion that has been used in games such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and Red Dead Redemption.[4] This allows animations for tackles and blocking to be created on the spot instead of using a limited set of canned animations.[2] Due to this, developers pushed to advertise that "no two tackles are the same" in an attempt to draw players to what they called a more physically realistic football game than its competitors.[2] The physics system was rated well by the reviewers, who commented that the integration of realistic physics created a very life-like interaction between the players on the field.[3][5] " this is taken from Wiki.

It is physics "based". This is exactly what EA devs are doing right now...a tackle animation//blocking animation will not begin "until contact" no more predetermined or "canned" animations. So there were always built in animations for tackles upon contact and not weight and force like people claimed BB was doing. I watched a 10 min gameplay of Backbreaker and the OL and DL interaction is the same as what EA is offering now. I watched one portion where even the OL "bumped" or established contact the DL(a DT) just shot by him like nothing even happened so pretty much even BB engine wasn't top notch, so i wouldnt expect the same for EA's. The only difference I see was that BB had much more "Phsyical Hit Animations" than EA's softer his, thats why it seemed like weight and force blew people up. In BB almost every hit was a crash n bash animation which was cool. Now EA said they are doing it and I fully expect to see something similar to the first BB game( not sure if 2 came out yet) To wrap it all in a nut shell, all of these Games use Animations, its just BB used real time or "at the point of contact" animations First

Im expecting great things in 12 and 13//14 and so on with developing those real time or contact animations.
You're terrible wrong. Backbreaker had no canned animations. NCAA will.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #48
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCanes93
You're terrible wrong. Backbreaker had no canned animations. NCAA will.
Maybe you should read it again, because its Obvious you didnt read it right. I said EA wouldnt have anymore predetermined or "canned" animations. They are working on the real time animations.

The whole post was comparing what BB has to what EA is striving for with the modifications to their engine.

Last edited by PaperBoyx703; 04-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »