Home

I have a sneaking suspicion

This is a discussion on I have a sneaking suspicion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I have a sneaking suspicion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Yes exactly. Not just crowd noise level, but crowd noise at the right times, and those spikes in noise when something big happens!
I'm glad you're with me. People like to talk about stadium atmosphere and the home team advantage...one of the greatest things about college football is when a crowd's volume and enthusiasm are in correlation with the team's performance on the field. Think of college basketball games. BIGGEST example right there...noise plays a big part in momentum and atmosphere.

I'll never forget Bama vs UF 2005. When Brodie hit Prothro on that pass for our first score of the game the stadium went so crazy the noise made your face prickle. I remember Bama vs UT 2005 Brodie hit DJ Hall on the big pass down the sideline, and when Money hit that game winner. Bryant-Denny Stadium was in full-on jailbreak mode. Those moments and others like it are what I remember. I get chills as I sit here typing about it. That feeling is college football, EA.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4track
Its 2011 and there is no chain gang. This is a very minor feature that can easily be put into the game but is left untouched year after year. It wasnt like you had a crapload of people wanting 3D grass. What matters to me the most is Dynasty/presentation, but simple things as a chain gang and somewhat of a active sideline would make this game look better. There is no excuse for something like this to be absent. If you can add all these crazy team entrances, then you can add a chain gang. Also how about you go out and play real football. Most of the gripes about this game is pretty valid. I love this game to death and it still has sooooooo much potential, but EA has been dropping the ball.
And how much have you worked with the NCAA Football code base to know what is and isn't easy to add to the game?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #35
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4track
I am also skeptical about this game. No improvements to the sideline or chain gang just for 3D grass?
They can only make the sidelines look good in cutscenes. The sidelines are going to look dull normally because honestly the consoles have a crappy amount of memory. (not to be confused with disk space)
Developers are always having to try to find new ways to get around these memory limitations on the current gen consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #36
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
They can only make the sidelines look good in cutscenes. The sidelines are going to look dull normally because honestly the consoles have a crappy amount of memory. (not to be confused with disk space)
Developers are always having to try to find new ways to get around these memory limitations on the current gen consoles.
It has more to do with processing power. All those players on the field in high def with shadows take up a lot of graphics computing power. There probably isn't a ton to spare for the guys standing around the sidelines, which is why they look like something from 1998. The more people and detail you include on the sideline, the more polygons and hires textures you need to render in real time, and you either sacrifice the look of the onfield players some (which everyone would scream about) or the FPS drops. Or you have low detailed guys on the sideline. The can get away with 2-D "cutouts" in the stands because those aren't shown from many angles during a play. The sideline guys are and thus have to be full 3-D rendered people.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3

Will NCAA12 stop making every game look like a sellout , believe it or not EA not every game is a sellout, and one of the videos say crowd noise will reflect the size of the crowd which sounds good.

Also in blowouts lets see fans leaving and half empty stadiums by 4th q.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
Well, they could have the full team on the sideline if they wanted to, but they'd have to make a tradeoff somewhere, likely in the graphics quality of everything on the field. This is how 2K approached the problem; they have more players drawing at once, but the number of triangles in any one given player isn't nearly that of what one player in EA's games has, and their lighting + shading techniques aren't anywhere as processor-intense to what EA's are.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #39
Rookie

JWO35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
And how much have you worked with the NCAA Football code base to know what is and isn't easy to add to the game?
I'm no video game expert but common sense tells me a chain gang wouldn't require massive amount of space. A cheap cut-scene and a few more people on the sideline?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #40
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I won't speculate as to whether RTG and Dynasty have been improved, but this is essentially the last feature(s) preventing me from pre-ordering at this time. I'm simply waiting to see what has been done this year--certainly improvements were necessary. The offline dynasty mode has gotten fairly trite. The interface, features, and depth all need a revamp.

RTG I'm less concerned about, and even if not much has been done there, I will buy if the dynasty has seen favorable improvements.

The final tidbit for me is if Teambuilder has had any touch-ups. I would like as much, but I won't hold my breath for it. As I like to use my undergrad D-II school for dynasty, it is still a somewhat crucial feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »