Home

The ability to edit ratings within franchise mode

This is a discussion on The ability to edit ratings within franchise mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #49
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The ability to edit ratings within franchise mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
I agree, I was just stating that I don't understand why they haven't already implemented it (the reasoning). I saw where Ian posted that some edits could crash the game due to salary and/or potential ratings.

If they are worried about consumers "crashing" their own dynasties, etc... why not make it to where they couldn't.

NCAA doesn't have the salary, so that shouldn't even be a case for it. Secondly the potential rating (hidden) in NCAA could be the culprit, editing the overall to be higher than the potential "may" cause the crash. Well just make the potential "always" raise above the overall in-order to avoid this situation.

Or just simply put up a box that states, "by doing this you may cause the game to crash and lose all saved information".
I completely agree!

That and you could just let people see the potential ratings and tell them it would crash if they raised the overall above that. Hell you could even pull up a second box saying "Are you sure you want to see the potential ratings?" Time EA got off of the control horse.

A couple more ideas.
Pop up an error message every time the overall eclipses the potential rating.
Let users edit the potential ratings.

I really hope making the game more user friendly isn't DLC, but it probably would have to be considering such ideas would be dangerous to some of their other DLC ideas.

Last edited by UniversityofArizona; 05-09-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #50
Rookie

Please, please, please give us the option to do this in offline dynasty and allow the commissioner the option to do this in our online dynasties.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #51
Rookie

Dmarzio's Arena

OVR: 1

Ok so that Madden developer said he spent 10 minutes adding code that enabled him to edit player ratings inside a dynasty.

This means he spent 10 minutes probably just moving and pasting code to add this functionality. Spend the rest of the day coding in a couple of safeguards such as allowing editing of the potential rating (or have it automatically go up as OVR goes up), make the player's contract be based more on his previous season's stats or draft ranking rather than his OVR, and ways to warn the user that he may be messing up his franchise by editing it.

Another way is to have an option when you are creating your franchise(madden) or dynasty(NCAA) to turn this editing on or off. Have it off by default. When the user turns this feature on, have a popup warning the user that too much editing can cause the franchise/roster to crash. Those who are just editing ratings for realism should have no problem. Those who are "cheesing" with the methods he noted might run into issues. So be it.

As others have stated, since there is no contracts or free agents or anything in NCAA, most of this problem is moot.

Also, EA, seriously who gives a crap whether Joe Shmoe wants to make his team have 70 players with 99 overall. Who does this hurt? Not EA, not other EA customers.

The only way I see this hurting EA is when that team of 99 overalls get's beat because ratings aren't such a HUGE factor when it comes to games in NCAA. Or that somehow this exposes more flaws in their engine. That's a whole different story for another time though

This whole scenario seems like a win-win to me. Those who play this game for sim purposes will no doubt play the game a lot more often, meaning more recommendations to friends and higher overall perception of the game (aka more sales).

Would you spend the one day of development this would probably take if it meant a lot for user enjoyment and potential sales? Seems like a no brainer to me..

Last edited by Dmarzio; 05-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #52
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversityofArizona
A couple more ideas.
Pop up an error message every time the overall eclipses the potential rating.
Let users edit the potential ratings.
Not a big fan of the pop up error message idea, but that's just my opinion
Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #53
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarzio
Ok so that Madden developer said he spent 10 minutes adding code that enabled him to edit player ratings inside a dynasty.

This means he spent 10 minutes probably just moving and pasting code to add this functionality. Spend the rest of the day coding in a couple of safeguards such as allowing editing of the potential rating (or have it automatically go up as OVR goes up), make the player's contract be based more on his previous season's stats or draft ranking rather than his OVR, and ways to warn the user that he may be messing up his franchise by editing it.
Developers NEVER EVER copy-paste any significant code. Ever. That's one of the worst programming practices one can develop, and I doubt anyone at EA would even think about doing that. Looking at one section of code while writing another? Sure. Copy-paste as a fire-and-forget operation? Simply put, no.

Also, EA can't just pull days out of their coding schedule for free to add things in. I'm sure their time for managing a huge project such as NCAA is very tightly managed. Adding this is one day EA can't spend coding/debugging something else.

All that said, I'd again like to see player ratings within dynasty opened up to the end users for editing.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #54
Rookie

woody56's Arena

Hope we can get confirmation on whether this is in or out soon in a blog or something. It will either increase my excitement or temper it heavily.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #55
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
Not a big fan of the pop up error message idea, but that's just my opinion
Definite respect for that opinion. I don't think anyone likes getting error messages, but I would think it would be easy to do.

Maybe an optional setting to turn on error messages or have the potential increase automatically? Maybe the error message if we had to have one could prompt you with: Do you want to increase the potential rating to incorporate your set increase in overall?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #56
Pro

If this is added, I would hope that they would put a notification message in online dynasty for any ratings changes that are made during the season.

I would be against editing ratings in an OD, but if it is in I want to know exactly what was changed, even if it wasn't for my team. I can most certainly see a commissioner in one of my OD's subtly editing ratings of his team as the year goes on and not telling anybody.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »