Home

Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

This is a discussion on Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #65
Pro

agte's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
Forcing someone to sign something in order to participate, how is that a legal "offer and acceptance" for a contract? More like coercion.

The language the NCAA uses for the likeness waiver is utterly ridiculous. It states they can use their likeness in "perpetuity in this or any other universe".

The people saying the players are getting paid via a scholarship should wake up. These schools could give two craps if these kids goto school or graduate. Their direct supervisors, the coaching staffs, frankly care more about saving their own jobs than guiding the academic careers of their players. A simple look at graduation rates proves this. In addition a scholarship after the first year can be pulled at will to maintain an 85 man roster. Simple use and abuse.
Playing is a privilege not a right, and they tell you up front what the deal is. If you don't like it, you don't have to sign on the line.

that's just my 2 cents on the matter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #66
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by agte
Playing is a privilege not a right, and they tell you up front what the deal is. If you don't like it, you don't have to sign on the line.

that's just my 2 cents on the matter
Exactly, like I said before, these guys knew way before they accepted a scholarship that there is an NCAA football game put out every year. I would venture to guess most of them played it. I am a UC Bearcats season ticket holder and interact with most team members on twitter and they ALL play this game. The only way they would have any kind of case or moral high ground would be to decline the scholarship and then sue the NCAA based on unfair practices. If you know this and you accept the scholarship, play 4 years and blow your chance at the NFL; don't come crying in court. It is weak.

Last edited by Dbrentonbuck; 05-06-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #67
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I hate to say I told you so but....ah..no actually I love saying I told you so
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #68
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The line is here for me. If you have the 2011 Michigan Wolverines with a QB with the number 16 who is black and has dreds......thats Denard Robinson.

If you have the 2011 Michigan Wolverines with a QB with the number 14 who is white and has a mullet......thats not Denard Robinson.
Michigan QB #16 didn't have dreads in the game last year...

He also rushed 134 times for 468 yards in the first season of my dynasty...

That's not Denard Robinson...

Michigan QB #16 was a black, bald dude who could not run to save his life, as evidenced by his less than four yards per carry. He was a pocket passing QB with great speed but that didn't translate to the field.

I kid, I kid... but if a guy gets awarded $ for his likeness, it better be spot on. Right hometown, right hair cut, similar face, similar playing attributes. Otherwise, all you have is a video game character who wears your same number but that's where the similarities end.

I don't know what to think about it all... but it feels ridiculous to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #69
Banned

Will college games cease to exist if the players win this suit?

Would you be OK with that?

I think when you sign your scholarship, you agree to have your likeness used without getting a profit from it. It might not be fair, but you are getting a cost-free education out of the deal. If you don't like it, take your talents elsewhere. Hire a trainer and work out for the next three years and at the conclusion of that, enter the NFL draft.

You know what you're signing when you sign a letter of intent. The verbiage does cover likeness, if I'm not mistaken. You signed it, you played for three of four years on a scholarship -- you have no room to complain.

I readily admit that I might be wrong about the likeness issue and whether a letter of intent deals with that, but I believe it does.

If that's the case, you have no right to expect $ for your likeness being used.

There are other options for these players if they don't like that. Don't sign, do your own thing, and go pro on your own... Pay for your own college, if you ever choose to go.

I just don't think these athletes have a case.

If you love the game but support players being paid, prepare for the consequences for that. Like I said earlier, I believe college games will be no more. If you're cool with that, keep fighting the good fight.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #70
Banned

Do some people just love to debate? Love to be different? What's the deal?

For the ones siding with the Sam Keller's of the world, are you going to be satisfied with no college football game, or a game that is comprised of completely random players?

Just wondering what the line of thinking is here.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Do some people just love to debate? Love to be different? What's the deal?

For the ones siding with the Sam Keller's of the world, are you going to be satisfied with no college football game, or a game that is comprised of completely random players?

Just wondering what the line of thinking is here.
I don't think people would mind a completely random game too much as long as it could be edited.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #72
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

Im a little curious, if a game title has an exclusive license over the NCAAF wouldnt it mean they have rights over everything under it like colleges under them its teams and under the teams the players?

Im a little lost if likeness was a big issue, how could there be cover athletes, despite not seeing the names we all know who they are and we see their face?

But with this signing over likeness thing, wouldnt it be possible to get those records of the past athletes(including Sam Keller)that are siding with Keller and see if they obliged by signing or if not?

In case you havent noticed by these q's i may either be lost or showing I dont have a side in the matter really.
YouTube: TBD

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »