Home

determining RIVALS

This is a discussion on determining RIVALS within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Rookie

phily915's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: determining RIVALS

1. Maybe at the beginning of dynasty mode the game has a protected rivalry already in the system. Then you can pick another team to be a rivalry that will alwYs be protected. This would give you 2 automatically. The others that you gain down the road would be fluid.

2. Not only could the rivalry help boost recruiting, but maybe for these games certain players on each team get a "rivalry boost". If your qb gets a nice bump, he could play the game of his life to finally knock off your rival.

3. I love all the icons that pop up telling me I have achieved something. And maybe this could in turn make the announcers remember last years game when ur sophomore qb went nuts to pull the win out of nowhere.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

I like these ideas, it would also be cool if there was fan/voted rivalries. So you've played a team in OOC and/or bowl games and you start getting feedback who fans/media would love to see you play.

Kinda like how everyones wanted Boise to travel somewhere and play, maybe there can be teams in Dynasty that will be listed as "premier match ups," or something like that, and you school gains national recognition/prestige/something worthwhile for scheduling and playing a close game/winning.

Maybe even make Rival/Key games have heavy impacts, maybe if your Florida and FSU beats you 4 times your fan base dies a little or recruits will start preferring FSU over UF. Scheduling Boise may be a loose/loose situation so it's risky to schedule bonus OOC games, and etc.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Pro

MMurda's Arena

i like this thread. def some good ideas in this one, esp the 1st 2 post. if only the devs were as passionate about innovating as we were
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Rookie

phily915's Arena

I'm also into having as many statistics as possible and possibly instituting a Hall of Fame for your school. Maybe they can have the ones for your school from the past (i.e. Ohio State RB #27 which represents Eddie George, also with the years they attended your school) and add players as the dynasty goes on.

Also, instead of having just the top performer in a yearly/career statistical category have the top 5 or 10. I would like to look at that and remember some of my guys. Right now if they are not the best ever, you never see anything for you to remember them by and are essential deleted from the games memory.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phily915
2. Not only could the rivalry help boost recruiting, but maybe for these games certain players on each team get a "rivalry boost". If your qb gets a nice bump, he could play the game of his life to finally knock off your rival.
Not a fan of this. I don't think players should just get a ratings boost, it's a backwards way of making rivalry games important. Terrell Pryor doesn't become faster in real life just because he's playing Michigan. Some players do step up in big games but let them do it off their own merit.

The basic issue is that all games feel the same. The difference from an early season OOC game -> conference game -> rivalry game -> bowl game -> national championship is minimal. Each type of game has the same atmosphere. The only difference are some comments in-between quarters / after the game, or confetti in the post game celebration.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
The basic issue is that all games feel the same. The difference from an early season OOC game -> conference game -> rivalry game -> bowl game -> national championship is minimal. Each type of game has the same atmosphere. The only difference are some comments in-between quarters / after the game, or confetti in the post game celebration.

^^^ Absolutely. I love the OP's idea of organic rivalries, and great points have been made throughout the thread (especially about not allowing classic rivalries to deteriorate), and this is even more applicable when your team does well enough to get invited into another conference... however, having changing rivals doesn't mean a damn thing unless there is a difference in the game.

Right now, there is not, aside from some bland, rehashed commentary.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Rookie

phily915's Arena

my idea for the "rivalry boost" is not to boost attributes like speed, acceleration, strength. But For a QB increase their accuracy and awareness a little bit for that game. RB- increase awareness, agility, trucking. WR/TE-increase catching and route running. etc, etc, etc...May be just have 1 or 2 of the starters on offense and/or defense (so not many). just to differentiate from the players that are amped up for this particular game and are focusing on their skills for the game that'll (potentially) set them a part.

I totally agree with your assessment of the all the games having the same atmosphere and feel. Wish they could some how separate them all. even if they could for thursday vs. friday vs. saturday games...I don't have any ideas of how they could do that though. maybe just different announcers, different graphics, thats all i got??!?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
I like these ideas, it would also be cool if there was fan/voted rivalries. So you've played a team in OOC and/or bowl games and you start getting feedback who fans/media would love to see you play.

Kinda like how everyones wanted Boise to travel somewhere and play, maybe there can be teams in Dynasty that will be listed as "premier match ups," or something like that, and you school gains national recognition/prestige/something worthwhile for scheduling and playing a close game/winning.

Maybe even make Rival/Key games have heavy impacts, maybe if your Florida and FSU beats you 4 times your fan base dies a little or recruits will start preferring FSU over UF. Scheduling Boise may be a loose/loose situation so it's risky to schedule bonus OOC games, and etc.
This is good. Right now prestige is just win X amount of games earn a gold star. It's real basic like a kindergarten class.

They need various ways of measuring prestige.

How about a prestige that specifically measures where you rank in your state/region. So like you said if you're FSU and lose to Florida, they might become the top dogs in that area. Right now you can play as Florida and lose to FSU every season and it doesn't really matter. They could also have a conference prestige that reflects the pecking order in your conference. Then of course the national prestige that's already in the game.

Have all of these combine (along with the strength of your conference) to form some sort of overall rating that determines how your team is viewed in the game. Then they could use this rating to influence things in a variety of ways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »