Home

Position Changes

This is a discussion on Position Changes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Position Changes

This happens all the time in college football. Not necessarily with star players, but sometimes known players and quite often with new recruits. Im a big psu fan so most of my position change memories are from them but every school has similar stories. Levi brown was recruited as a dt, stayed at dt his freshman year, then switched to lt and ended up an all american. Our starting right t this year was listed as a dt at the start of last season. Chaz powell may be a starting corner this year, two years ago he was our starting wr last year he switched to corner then early in the year switched back to wr when we had some injuries. We just recruited an og out of Maryland that we've already said will likely play dt for us but could play either. I could probably a dozen other psu players that switched sides and went on to start just in the last 5 - 8 years. Not every holiness recruit can be a starter on delineated but most could at least transition as a backup and the higher quality ones will excel anywhere there "body type" fits... I too would love to see this more accurately done in ncaa.

Last edited by mattbooty; 05-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

I think that incoming Freshman should come in with a better ability to change positions, but once they spend a season or two at a position, they should be much better at that than anything else.

At least have a few recruits come in (at all sizes and positions) that obviously played offense and defense and could go either way a high level.

Last edited by Maxattax3; 05-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
I think that incoming Freshman should come in with a better ability to change positions, but once they spend a season or two at a position, they will be much better at that than anything else.

At least have a few recruits come in (at all sizes and positions) that obviously played offense and defense and could go either way a high level.
Absolutely, the longer they stay at one position he more difficult it should be for them to change. BUT that shouldn't mean they go from an 80 rated guard to a 40 rated dt. These guys are still elite athletes and for positions that require the same athletic abilities (like both lines, wr/corner, etc) there should be a smaller drop off of maybe anywhere from 5 to 15 points depending on the player. My opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
Absolutely, the longer they stay at one position he more difficult it should be for them to change. BUT that shouldn't mean they go from an 80 rated guard to a 40 rated dt. These guys are still elite athletes and for positions that require the same athletic abilities (like both lines, wr/corner, etc) there should be a smaller drop off of maybe anywhere from 5 to 15 points depending on the player. My opinion.
Agreed. Like someone else already said, they played football their whole life and didnt learn how to tackle lol. Not even a little. Its crazy.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
Yea its like the game gets too caught up in finesse moves, power moves, run block strength, etc. that it leaves out the athleticism and strength that make good players. You don't need to be a great technician to be a good player in college.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Rookie

DCDuck's Arena

OVR: 4

An exponential development system on position-specific attributes would solve some of that. For example, it takes a lot less time to get from 40 BCV to 60 BCV than it does to get from 60 to 80 and getting from 80 to 100 takes a whole lot of time.

Other attributes, like STR, SPD, AGI, ACC - physical tools, progress at a more standard rate.

That way you can come in with an ATH who has raw athleticism and he can develop those basic skills to play certain positions in a hurry.
- "Passing? What's That?" since 1984.

Skins Fans against Dan Snyder
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDuck
An exponential development system on position-specific attributes would solve some of that. For example, it takes a lot less time to get from 40 BCV to 60 BCV than it does to get from 60 to 80 and getting from 80 to 100 takes a whole lot of time.

Other attributes, like STR, SPD, AGI, ACC - physical tools, progress at a more standard rate.

That way you can come in with an ATH who has raw athleticism and he can develop those basic skills to play certain positions in a hurry.
This makes a lot of sense.

Cata, saying you don't need technique in college is straight ignorant. Just because you had players in your system like Bowers and Spiller who excelled on pure athleticism doesn't mean technique isn't involved.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
This makes a lot of sense.

Cata, saying you don't need technique in college is straight ignorant. Just because you had players in your system like Bowers and Spiller who excelled on pure athleticism doesn't mean technique isn't involved.
Ok the main difference between NFL and college is technique. There are too many players to name that were great college players because of their athleticism but never had great NFL careers. The main point of what I was saying is that in college there is more flexibility between positions because players do not need to be great at the technique to be good.

Regardless of the reasoning behind it players need to be able to make position changes as they do in real life.

Also, I'm not sure why you are assuming that Clemson is the only football that I know about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »