Home

Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

This is a discussion on Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
We might weight progression for positions right this year, they haven't really released any information other than presentation things, zone d, and tackling.

I would LOVE to have position coaches and a strength and conditioning coach. Position coaches would determine (along with potential, etc) how a player would progress with their position skills and the S&C coach would determine how they would progress physically (weight, agility, acceleration, speed, strength)
If they are saying they don't have room for more players I can't see position coaches being apart of the game. Maybe HC, OC and DC.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondockSooner
EA doesn't care how the game is.
Completely false.

Quote:
A 6'1 265 pound offensive tackle will never play division two football, let alone be ranked in the ESPNU Top 150 and a five star prospect.
Granted, he wasn't 6'1" and he wasn't a five-star recruit, but D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who now starts for the New York Jets, started 46 of his 48 games at Virginia and he didn't weigh more than 260 his freshman year. In fact he never really successfully put on weight until prior to his senior year, if I recall correctly.

---

Look, I agree that coaching staffs and better recruit generation would be nice to have, but let's lay off on the complaints until we actually get some information about what EA did to dynasty mode this year, no?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I wouldn't say they don't care, but there is NO DOUBT we would see a much better game if they had some competition. I just hope when we go to the nextgen they don't scrap everything and start from scratch AGAIN like they did for this gen. I mean I hope they redo the gameplay engine etc (real physics) but I'd prefer not to wait 5 years for custom playbooks again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Why do you guys fret so much over recruits not having realistic weights / weight progression when weight doesn't even matter in the game.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Why do you guys fret so much over recruits not having realistic weights / weight progression when weight doesn't even matter in the game.
Weight is going to matter in this game
Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

we'll see about that
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
A few things that could make dynasties so much better, and add depth to what has been a shallow and stale game mode for nearly a decade now:

- Coaching staffs. Just because you're the head coach doesn't mean you can change philosophies at will. Adding coaches with particular styles of play (for instance a defensive coach who is well-versed in the 3-4) should impact your team accordingly. A good linebackers coach should have more of an effect on your team's linebacking corps than your school's athletic facilities.

Now how you would implement this is easy: use the names of actual coaching staffs (those guys aren't bound by arbitrary NCAA regulations as far as I know), and rank their coaching ability similarly to the "My School" rankings. I realize that a coach's ability is subjective, but so are preseason polls and we have that awesome "feature" every year without fail.

Your position coaches could be hired away, either to better jobs or better opportunities (like head coaching positions). This would impact your "Coaching style" recruiting pitch and also your "Coach prestige". Because you built up a line of successful coaches that went on to bigger and better things, your coaching tree reflects your own prestige.

Realistic recruiting height/weight and physical progression. Forget about ratings for a second, EA did those the right way with NCAA 11. One thing they didn't do, however, is recruit size. A 6'1 265 pound offensive tackle will never play division two football, let alone be ranked in the ESPNU Top 150 and a five star prospect. Defensive ends are no longer 215 pounds unless they are a project, and they should be able to add weight to fill out their frame accordingly.

A redshirt year should mean more than not getting to play. It should be about adding size and, concurrently, strength and speed/quickness/explosiveness.

So why do these additions seem like pipe dreams? The answer is easy: because EA is the only company that can offer us a college football video game. Because it's the only thing out there, people will buy it. And as long as people buy it, EA doesn't care how the game is. Until they do start to care about their product, simple advances like better graphics and pylon physics are the best new additions we will get. Wait did I say simple advances? I meant baby steps.
The big one here for me is realistic height/weight sizes for recruits and physical progression.

This has bugged me for a long time.

What bugs me even more is the fact that EA doesn't let us edit this. I will never understand why we can't edit players inside of a dynasty.

Last year, I recruited a 6'5" 232 pound defensive end. If I remember correctly, he was the heaviest defensive end in the nation and he gained a meager nine pounds in his first three years. His strength rating was good at an 88, but that didn't jive with his 241 pound frame at 6'5".

It drove me nuts.

Please EA, if you can't depict recruit sizes somewhat accurately, at least give us the ability to edit them. I can understand, to a point, why you'd rather not give us the ability to edit attributes (though that bugs me as well), but not giving us the ability to edit a player's size is just mind boggling.

If not, it's a near deal breaker for me. I really never use that term, but this is one issue where I've had enough.

I like the coaching staff idea, but I see that as being a long shot, unfortunately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Completely false.

Granted, he wasn't 6'1" and he wasn't a five-star recruit, but D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who now starts for the New York Jets, started 46 of his 48 games at Virginia and he didn't weigh more than 260 his freshman year. In fact he never really successfully put on weight until prior to his senior year, if I recall correctly.

---

Look, I agree that coaching staffs and better recruit generation would be nice to have, but let's lay off on the complaints until we actually get some information about what EA did to dynasty mode this year, no?
I don't see it as complaining. I see it as, "Let's beat this to death so maybe EA will hear us."

Each year, people complain about this same issue... Have we had the ability to edit recruit's height and weight on the current consoles? I could be wrong, but I don't think it has been there -- so the whole "wait and see" approach is kind of a fruitless endeavor. If it's easy for them to do and they see that people want this, they'll eventually give us the option. At least, that's what my logic tells me.

Just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »