Home

How do you guys get excited about recruiting?

This is a discussion on How do you guys get excited about recruiting? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: How do you guys get excited about recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
I usually play 1 or 2 games a season:
  • My big recruiting weekend
  • My bowl game
Sometimes I'll have seasons where I don't play any games at all. I just love recruiting and building and re-building teams and programs.

I love team turnarounds in the professional games as well - namely NBA 2k - but NCAA is in its own league b/c your roster changes dramatically every year.

With team styles, I love recruiting guys that fit my play style and fit my offense.
That is how I played my season last year. I only played the recruiting weekend, bowl games, and to see how recruit play. I focused mainly on recruiting.
With Custom Playbooks, I will play alot of my games in Dynasty. I will still sim mostly all games in the first season though.
I usually only play 1 Play Now game in NCAA. I will do the same to see how my playbook looks.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That is how I played my season last year. I only played the recruiting weekend, bowl games, and to see how recruit play. I focused mainly on recruiting.
With Custom Playbooks, I will play alot of my games in Dynasty. I will still sim mostly all games in the first season though.
I usually only play 1 Play Now game in NCAA. I will do the same to see how my playbook looks.
I usually don't play any play now games. I usually jump right into a dynasty and sim the first season b/c I want to play with MY guys, my recruits.

I agree that this year might be different with custom playbooks, I will probably build my playbook before I start the dynasty, but I have a good idea of what sets and types of plays I'll use so that shouldn't take long.

Conservative run-first offense with a serviceable QB high on accuracy and awareness and a great O-line and defense.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffJuff
I have read alot on these forums about how a lot of people on these forums love recruiting or that recruiting is their favorite part of dynasty. I am a huge sim player(always be realistic) and play every game (hate simming) but to me recruiting has always been a chore. I usually can get through many seasons of dynasty and i think if i could get excited about recruiting it could make dynasty that much more fun for me. I guess my question is, how do you guys make recruiting fun?
Looking for the next adrian peterson, michael crabtree, ray lewis and such players is my pull to recruiting. I especially leave about 3-4 spots for my hometown so I can get players from there. I dont know man, if you dont have a bit of a fantasy of being a big name college coach then I dont think recruiting is your pull. But I love all the aspects of coaching. It would be awesome if there was an AD mode instead fo dynasty where I could hire coaches from wherever or OC or DC's.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
I usually don't play any play now games. I usually jump right into a dynasty and sim the first season b/c I want to play with MY guys, my recruits.

I agree that this year might be different with custom playbooks, I will probably build my playbook before I start the dynasty, but I have a good idea of what sets and types of plays I'll use so that shouldn't take long.

Conservative run-first offense with a serviceable QB high on accuracy and awareness and a great O-line and defense.
I dont either. But this year I will definitely play one just to try out my playbook. I will recruit guys to fit my scheme, so I might not play first season.
I dont really know too many specific set names. But I do have a great ideal of what formations I want. I will have 70% run first team. Dont know all the formations I will have, But I wont have Flexbone, triple option, no air raid formations, no trick plays. I will all types of RBs, will rotate alot. I will recuit Athletic QBs have big arms, Run Blocking Oline, Big Psyhical WRs, Pass Catching TEs, All types of Front 7 players I will run have multiple D formations in my D Playbook, Cover CB and FS, Hard Hitting SS. Highest priorities is HB, Oline, and Front 7, I will rotate heavy on Front 7 and HB. I wont recruit highly on QBs and WRs, unless they are interested and 3 or 4 star.
Hopefully Formation Subs is in.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I dont either. But this year I will definitely play one just to try out my playbook. I will recruit guys to fit my scheme, so I might not play first season.
I dont really know too many specific set names. But I do have a great ideal of what formations I want. I will have 70% run first team. Dont know all the formations I will have, But I wont have Flexbone, triple option, no air raid formations, no trick plays. I will all types of RBs, will rotate alot. I will recuit Athletic QBs have big arms, Run Blocking Oline, Big Psyhical WRs, Pass Catching TEs, All types of Front 7 players I will run have multiple D formations in my D Playbook, Cover CB and FS, Hard Hitting SS. Highest priorities is HB, Oline, and Front 7, I will rotate heavy on Front 7 and HB. I wont recruit highly on QBs and WRs, unless they are interested and 3 or 4 star.
Hopefully Formation Subs is in.
Sounds like you run a similar pro style set that I do.

I've considered mapping out my playbook beforehand by using practice mode in NCAA 11 and finding what formations and plays I want to have but I don't know if I'll have time to do it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
There's almost no way to explain it with words.

Its process vs. outcome gaming. If we're all honest, everyone knows that the gameplay mechanics and A.I. shortcomings, keep recruiting from being as meaningful as it should be. A lot of us though, we still go through the process as if all of our recruiting decisions totally matter. Seeing if you can construct a "perfect" squad as measured by the schemes you use, the recruiting base of your team, or the competition of your rivals, is a big time game within the game, that for some of us is equivalent to playing the games on the field.
I'm with this.
Used to coach in college (another sport) including time in the Big 10, and I preached process rather than result. So for me, the games are almost ways and means to help recruit.
I use Custom schedule to help make sure the 4th wk is a big recruiting wknd for the initial on-the-board guys...each game's outcome I look at as an opportunity to make up ground or build a lead in recruiting...
I use that PocketScout program and pour over the spread sheets -- for 2 days when setting up my initial board -- searching for that underrated OVR guy that has all the attributes that will fit my schemes. For example, at my 6* SEC program (A-A w/ A-A recruiting levels) I've brought in CBs with low 70s OVRs but with SPD/ACC, high PRC and man and press rating's (hopefully in the mid-80s). Had one 72 guy end up winning the Thorpe Award, and a 73 guy that ended up winning it twice, setting season NCAA INT mark (16) and career mark (37).
So, finding that right 'fit' of players, filling in holes, establishing 'factories' in certain positions (Sr DTs are usually close to 99 OVR, and my next season O-line rates 99, 99, 90, 93, 96 w/ 4 Srs but RS-Jrs right behind in high-80s minimum...though the OVR is only a by-product of the RB/PB #s) is what I find exciting about recruiting.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Sounds like you run a similar pro style set that I do.

I've considered mapping out my playbook beforehand by using practice mode in NCAA 11 and finding what formations and plays I want to have but I don't know if I'll have time to do it
I wanna still imagine being able to have a pro ready playbook. I will run a basically run a prostyle but with run heavy formations(no triple option, flexbone. A lot of Iforms set, Pistol sets, House sets. I wont run any ace formations. I will try to recruit a Wisconsin-like Oline. But if I am able to recruit a 5 star balanced Qb(has to have some speed for my O), I can give him the Sanchez/Flacco/Ryan/Manning/Bradford treatment and run the ball alot then eventually add more prostyle passing sets.
Once I see what sets are in I will start my Playbook.
I am not sure yet, but I might do a Dynasty with either Temple or Memphis(did one with them last year). I saw Temple and Memphis's roster on ESPN. They have H-W(height weight) Oline, HW WR and DB. Even though they wont be the exact same, but I expect it to be similar. My decision will be made on 5/23
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 32

In my opinion, recruiting is what sets this game apart from Madden.

Fact; I spend more time recruiting than playing actual games.

I don't know. It's just a fun gaming experience. It doesn't always go your way, even though you've poured your heart and soul into a player.

I can't explain it any better than that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »