Home

RTG should have the threat of failure...

This is a discussion on RTG should have the threat of failure... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4
RTG should have the threat of failure...

Instead of making failure a possibility RTG goes out of it's way to make sure you succeed. The same problem is there in similar modes like My Player on NBA2k. It cheapens the entire mode and makes it feel gimmicky and arcadey to me. It's all about being some all-world player instead of trying to mimic what happens in real life, or even make it a challenge. It should be more likely to be a mediocre player than a great one. It should be possible to end up as a lifetime special teams player, a decent LBer on Indiana, or a nickleback on FAU. Most players aren't stars, stars are rare. But in RTG everyone gets to be dominant.

I think this mentality holds RTG back from having any depth and real value outside of seeing what kind of stats you can rack up with your 'super' player.

---
Starting with high school. The game generates over 2500 recruits every season. Only 20 of those are 5 stars. Less than 1 out of every 100. There's only ~240 4 stars, about 1 of every 10. Getting a 4 star ranking in RTG should be tough. Earning a 5 star in RTG should be extremely difficult and very rare. Most recruits are 3 stars. 1/2 star recruits outnumber the 4/5 stars. This should be true for RTG as well. The threat of ending up as a two star prospect should be very real and should happen as often as (if not more than) ending up as a 4 star. You'd almost have to intentionally play poorly and throw games to end up as a 2 star in RTG.

When I played RTG on Heisman, I won state champ and got a 5 star ranking with my QB. I wasn't putting up amazing stats or anything, pretty sure the game just gave me a star for every win. I got to pick what school I went to and chose to be 2nd string at OSU. Being a 5 star recruit should be special. When it's handed out so easily you set a precedent for the rest of the mode.

Most players don't start. Even with 70 man rosters you have 2/3rds of the players not in a starting role. Whether they're backups/redshirts, roleplayers or whatever. Some players go their entire career and never become full time starters. RTG should reflect that, earning a starting spot should be tough (depending on circumstance) and should be a big accomplishment.

Instead the game just hands it out. I started out needing to earn 210 points to move ahead of Pryor on the depth chart. By the time big ten conference play began my player was already the starting QB. I have 94 throwing accuracy which puts me in the top 5 QBs (on the default roster). 94 throw power which also puts me top 5. I'm already one of the best QBs in the game and all I've done is play high school playoffs, some garbage time and practices. This should rarely, if ever be the case.

Going further, only a very small % of players make it to the NFL from college. Also only a small amount make All American teams and win national awards. My guys already nearly good enough to be drafted. No doubt if I continue to play I can eventually reach 99 ovr and be in very good position to win multiple awards / put up amazing stats.

---

I understand everyone wants to "live out" the career of a star player but RTG could actually be a good mode if they'd make you actually earn it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: RTG should have the threat of failure...

Most people wouldn't play it if there was a threat of not succeeding and moving onto Madden, just saying....
Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I like it. You could make it tied to a difficulty level. Easy is what we have now, medium is between the two, hard is about what you just put.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

The solution to recruit ranking for RTG can be solved if there was a full HS senior season. So, YOu wont get a 5 star ratings after 3 games. It could have hidden expections to unlock another star. like 500 yards unlocks 1star, 1000 yds 2 stars, 3 stars 1500yds, 4 stars 2000 yds, and 5 stars over 2500 yds. Which would be nice.
TO help cause failure, There could be a Expectations from the coaches. FOr smaller schools there is smaller expectations and for bigger schools there are BIG expectations. Like Run for 500-750 yards 5+TDs 1st season, 1000+ 10TDs 2nd Season, 1500+ 15TDs 3rd, 1750+ 20+ TDS final.
THey could(probably might anyway) add Skill Points like in Madden. Which would also help expecations. For ex. Have to have 80+ BRK Tak to start.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
The solution to recruit ranking for RTG can be solved if there was a full HS senior season. So, YOu wont get a 5 star ratings after 3 games. It could have hidden expections to unlock another star. like 500 yards unlocks 1star, 1000 yds 2 stars, 3 stars 1500yds, 4 stars 2000 yds, and 5 stars over 2500 yds. Which would be nice.
TO help cause failure, There could be a Expectations from the coaches. FOr smaller schools there is smaller expectations and for bigger schools there are BIG expectations. Like Run for 500-750 yards 5+TDs 1st season, 1000+ 10TDs 2nd Season, 1500+ 15TDs 3rd, 1750+ 20+ TDS final.
THey could(probably might anyway) add Skill Points like in Madden. Which would also help expecations. For ex. Have to have 80+ BRK Tak to start.
That would be a pretty nice approach. It would add more depth and playability.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
That would be a pretty nice approach. It would add more depth and playability.
Yup. RTG needs to be longer. SO I am glad there will be more RPG effect in it. I do think RTG will have Skill Points.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
Most people wouldn't play it if there was a threat of not succeeding and moving onto Madden, just saying....
It's a shame everyone wants instant gratification and devs are scared to actually challenge people. It leads to dumbed down game modes and that's bad for everyone.

If there's no threat of failing then succeeding doesn't really matter. Those people would be better off just skipping RTG and jumping straight into Superstar mode. I actually know someone who does this, instead of bothering with these modes he just goes into create a player and creates himself as a 99 ovr. Cuts right to the chase and skips all the extra hassle.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

well isnt that why video games are video games where the cry is..."we should have control over everything that we want to do since its my game" and real life is well... real life.

RTG if your a "star" you can commit to any college if you want to go to FAU or Indiana you can. Almost guaranteed you wont lead them to a Natl champ if your a DB or LB. So technically there is a challenge in the game, its just that most go to big colleges to succeed, not go to UAB and go unnoticed. Hence there would be no meaning to the name "road to glory" or "superstar mode" its made to make you succeed and live a fantasy of getting somewhere in Professional sports. Without success it wouldnt be a point to those modes.

Plus if on Heisman and you dont succeed in the playoffs bc of poor stats or losing early on in the tourney your ranking wont go up you wont get any big scholarships so theres a difficulty but granted most quit and start over when their HS team doesnt win states so...

Their is a difficulty and getting ANY D-1 scholarship despite their prestige is in no way a Failure, having it where you could fail like lose a scholarship or something stupid happens where you end up at Mcdonalds or run a 9-5 job because things didnt work out im sure even you wouldnt play it.

The point of the mode is to succeed and move on not hit a bump on the road not progress and become a sports analyst like Jesse Palmer or other former athletes careers that didnt take off.

The percentage of people that play HS ball and College sports and dont make it to the pros OVERWHELM the percentage that actually make it somewhere in sports.

Lets say 5%(ALL SPORTS) make it to the pros 95% goes on with their lives in some other ways.

The point of those modes is to succeed and not be part of the 95% that doesnt.

But we dont even know how their making the new RTG or adding to it so im guessing a failure would be not earning enough attributes to make your player better but then having to work your way up is the only "failure" i see possible in a video game.
YouTube: TBD

Last edited by PaperBoyx703; 05-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »