Home

Any indication that Psychic play calling is gone?

This is a discussion on Any indication that Psychic play calling is gone? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #33
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Any indication that Psychic play calling is gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpain2345
My favorite is when you come out ready to run 4 verticals, see the safeties way back, audible to a HB draw and the safeties walk up to the LOS.. then you go back to verticals and they retreat again before the snap :/
I've noticed the DBs seem to move in/out whenever you audible regardless of the call. If you wait a few seconds before you snap the ball you'll see them float right back to where they were before the audible a lot of the time.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
Rookie

Colorado Cooler's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunders45
Why are they going to fix something that they've repeatedly denied even exists?
As long as there is no payoff in investing in that kind of programming overhaul, EA won't do it. One only need to pour through the posts to realize that EA maintains a captive audience by adding what I call accessories to their annual product such as conference realignment, teambuilder, playbook and coaching options that do very little for game-play enhancement, but keeps customers engaged. For many, the chance to field their favorite teams year in and year out with enhanced graphics and new features overrides any objections they may have to poor AI.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

They need to start tracking people's plays both at the individual level and as a group to see what players tend to do in certain situations. Then use the info to make the computer call better plays and/or call plays based off of tendencies. Other football games have already taken this approach before.

Example: if I run 75% of the time the CPU will tend to call run stopping plays.

Computer's playcalling is the main reason I can't even mess with offline dynasties anymore, I have to play ODs where the other players are actually adjusting. You can go through the whole season against the computer calling one play on both sides of the ball and it'd never adjust. It might go into psychic mode every now and then but that's it.

Last edited by poopoop; 06-14-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #36
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1

Good lord I despise this with a deep and fiery passion. Poopoop is right (never thought I'd be saying that phrase), they need to incorporate a way that the CPU tracks user tendencies and calls plays based on what the user usually does in that situation. That would go a loooooong way towards realism, and though I'm aware it may be difficult to program the AI, they already have the user playcall tendency tracking.

The biggest *shake my head* moments when playing this game relates heavily to this issue. It is when I call a run play out of an I formation, and I see the safety come down over top of my stud WR, so I audible to a pass, and hot route him to streak, and then bomb it to him in single coverage for 40 yards...but wait, that's not the part I hate. On my very next series, I call the same running play out of the same (or similar) I formation. Yet again, the safety comes down, yet again leaving my stud wideout in single coverage despite the fact that 6 or 7 minutes ago he burned the crap out of them in single coverage. And so as I shake my head, I audible to a pass and hot route him to a streak...

Even beyond user tendencies, I want the CPU at least to learn from its mistakes when playing against me. I want them to start doubling my WR in the second half if he has a 6 catch 95 yd 1 TD first half. I want them to stuff the box IF AND ONLY IF I'm running all over them. I want them to start playing nickel or dime at all times if I'm passing all over them. I want the CPU to adjust. That is what makes a game fun, a chess match. That's why it was fun watching Belichick/Brady vs. Dungy/Manning. Chess match. I've been screaming this for years.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Yeah it's the worst. One work around I found was to use no-huddle.

For example: I'd call a 4-wide passing play in order to get the CPU in with a proper set, run my 1st down play, and then no-huddle to a legit 4-wide run. The CPU would (certainly against its will) be stuck in its dime set and have to run a legit defense.

I'm definitely no programmer, but it seems like a pretty easy fix by EA. (1) Force the CPU to match formations with minimal deviation (4-wide spread --> dime or 3-3-5). (2) Have an exception for the goal line. (3) Call it a day and have snacks.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
They need to start tracking people's plays both at the individual level and as a group to see what players tend to do in certain situations. Then use the info to make the computer call better plays and/or call plays based off of tendencies. Other football games have already taken this approach before.

Example: if I run 75% of the time the CPU will tend to call run stopping plays.

Computer's playcalling is the main reason I can't even mess with offline dynasties anymore, I have to play ODs where the other players are actually adjusting. You can go through the whole season against the computer calling one play on both sides of the ball and it'd never adjust. It might go into psychic mode every now and then but that's it.
Exactly. Other than it's not as cool to market tendency based playcalling as DREADZ!, there is no excuse for this not to be in NCAA or Madden. I've played something like 150+ games in my offline dynasty, I'm pretty sure I have a tendency or two in my play calling. I've said it before, I've done this kind of tendency tracking at the freshmen level in high school, EA needs to get this HUGE part of the game, in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »